Banana Plugs : Any recommendations please

MrBrickFish

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm taking delivery of some new speakers this week and I was considering moving over to banana plugs...

Does anyone have any specific recommendations, or any particular ones best avoiding....

Not looking to spend a fortune, just some reasonable, good value ones

Many thanks

Sean

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Fisual are cheap n cheerful & do the job.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/2153/fisual-easy-fix-banana-plugs-4-pack

They just use two grub screws to secure the cable & the covers are thread to screw on, so a doddle to fit.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello

41Pi2Og3rTL.jpg

I've been using Sewell Silverbacks and they are good value and well made. :)

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
SiUK said:

They look broadly similar to the Fisual apart from the cover & they're cheaper. Any idea what reviewers might mean by "too big"? Are they just a bit tight (as they should be) or is it that the covers are a little oversisize making them difficult to fit side by side on say an AV amp?

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello Crocodile

Yeah, I read those reviews as well. Curious as after using them I have no idea at all what they mean. Have had no problems at all using them plugged into my Marantz AV amp, my Concept 20 speakers, my old Missoon 751s, or my M-CR610. Maybe something to do specifically with the aperture on those Yamahas...as the complaints seem to be only from two people with Yamaha AV amps.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Just to be absolutely sure I took another gander. This is a snap

ea32.jpg

The pin looks longer than a few others, but it isn't. As you can see there is a solid collar stopping the sprung pin part going fully into the banana socket. So they could seem to be too big (long) when inserted...a also wobble a little perhaps. And, if speakers have terminals for biwring and there is a very thick linking bar between the terminals that would prevent the pins going in as much as they would normally as well...depending on the speakers of course (with some speakers you have to unscrew the terminal clamps fully to increase the aperture depth for bananas I've found). Other than that...

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
There are loads of banana plugs to choose from. I find the type with a screw to hold the cable in place easiest to use. There are plenty of e-bay sellers selling Nakamichi branded ones like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-High-Quality-Nakamichi-banana-plug-Speaker-connectors-24k-Gold-plated-UK-/300986018586?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item46142a2b1a which I use with no problems

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I used Furutech gold plated plugs they have 2 screws and a solder bucket and if you solder you don't have to keep cutting back the cable. They are not cheap but are one of the best around and yes I did solder mine.

MrBrickFish said:
I'm taking delivery of some new speakers this week and I was considering moving over to banana plugs...

Does anyone have any specific recommendations, or any particular ones best avoiding....

Not looking to spend a fortune, just some reasonable, good value ones

Many thanks

Sean

Pretty much of a muchness... I've always had bare ends.

KWONAD

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I have Monster Quick lock II. A set of 4 bananas around the €25,-- , $25, £ 24,--. 24karat gold, and the ease of connect. The bananas marked black and red for - and + poles.

at one pair of my speakers it don't fit, i use for them Quick lock II spades.

tiffany-r

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Maplins have some good quality gold plated right angle plus £2.45 each they are very secure or Nakammichi ones all screw fit for cables up to 6mm £12 for 6 on eBay.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
mikeparker59 said:
There are loads of banana plugs to choose from. I find the type with a screw to hold the cable in place easiest to use. There are plenty of e-bay sellers selling Nakamichi branded ones like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-High-Quality-Nakamichi-banana-plug-Speaker-connectors-24k-Gold-plated-UK-/300986018586?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item46142a2b1a which I use with no problems

Just to be clear, this is not the same Nakamichi that makes the cassette decks, so don't be fooled. I'm not saying they're not any good as I've used them in the past. But, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405226/warning-nakamichi-plugs-made-of-iron

KrisC123

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
i bought a pair of banana plugs from richer sounds in belfast. they looked nice and they were cheapish but they arent very tight and they are also quite short. id say you could get better for the momey and to stay clear of them. they were cambridge audio i think

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Can't see any point in banana plugs that are not soldered. Whats the point?

Well soldered plugs with a couple of layers of heatshrink for me, otherwise i would just use bare ends.

I find the solid core cable you get in 15amp twin and earth to be very decent, just soft enough to get a decent fit when screwed down tight.

When I worked in Sydney we used this all the time, local product supposedly high purity, but who knows....... :?

At the time, late 80s, we would dem it against either A4 or a Monster cable, both around A$10 metre, sold loads at A$15-20 a meter, most profitable thing in the shop by a mile.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
mikeparker59 said:

Just to be clear, this is not the same Nakamichi that makes the cassette decks, so don't be fooled. I'm not saying they're not any good as I've used them in the past. But, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405226/warning-nakamichi-plugs-made-of-iron

I guessed they probably weren't but do the job well enough and are a nice tight fit with good screw fittings for the cable. Certainly not rubbish quality

I've had mine for a couple of years and the 'gold' if it is gold hasn't tarnished. TBH I can't detect any difference in audio quality between using these plugs and bare wires so no complaints from me.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
SiUK said:
Hello

I received a pack of 6 pairs of the Sewell Silverbacks today.

I'm disappointed to find that when plugged into both my amp and speaker connections, these plugs can rock around from side to side, indicating that they are only making contact on the widest part of the spring sections.

While the spring mechanism is keeping them from falling out, clearly there is very poor surface contact being made between the plugs and sockets. This can't bode well for a good electrical contact?

I'm wondering if Z-type banana plugs would be better. How do they work?

The locking type plugs seem to be very expensive though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts