Question Balanced XLR cables?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
So, I’ve ordered a set of oyaide xlr cables to try on my new Musical Fidelity amp and cd.
Just wanted to get a general opinion from anyone that has used xlr cables before and their thoughts?
I’ll be trying these out tomorrow, once I get home. So I’m interested to hear what others think when comparing them to rca?
Thanks.

Never understood what the XLR gives over a RCA. Other than a ground wire. And as most modern electrical a double insulated I can’t see how that would do anything.

I’ve never used them before so I was curious about them. So after buying the M6si and M6sCD and having the opportunity to try them out, I thought why not?
I do like how secure the connections feel. But as regards sound quality or difference or preference, it’s a bit too soon to tell just yet.

Reactions: Al ears

WayneKerr

class A/B I believe.
Yeah, a quick scan of the net doesn't tell me either, very little is published regrading detailed specs, just basic info.

What I was going to say is that I believe you are experiencing exactly the same presentation I heard when I first got the Ruby, it is far more forward than any previous amps I have owned. Initially it was head scratching time, lots of speaker re-positioning ensued until I got used to what it was actually doing, eventually I settled on my original positioning.

One reviewer has actually stated that our amps are very similar in presentation.

Reactions: bigfish786
Yeah, a quick scan of the net doesn't tell me either, very little is published regrading detailed specs, just basic info.

What I was going to say is that I believe you are experiencing exactly the same presentation I heard when I first got the Ruby, it is far more forward than any previous amps I have owned. Initially it was head scratching time, lots of speaker re-positioning ensued until I got used to what it was actually doing, eventually I settled on my original positioning.

One reviewer has actually stated that our amps are very similar in presentation.

yes, I read that somewhere too. Think it said the M6si was a Ruby only cheaper. (If £2500 can be thought of as cheap) 🤣🤣

if it's any help the M3si is Class A/B so assume the M6 is also.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Never understood what the XLR gives over a RCA. Other than a ground wire. And as most modern electrical a double insulated I can’t see how that would do anything.
RCA gives a ground wire too (its outer screen).
The twin signal cables are what means the XLR can be used balanced, which is good for noise immunity.
That immunity is absolutely essential for 30+ metres of microphone-level signal in a live music venue.....but hardly necessary for a metre of line-level signal.

As others have said though, XLR connectors (or Cannon plugs as old gits call them) are nice to use.

Reactions: Al ears

nads

RCA gives a ground wire too (its outer screen).
The twin signal cables are what means the XLR can be used balanced, which is good for noise immunity.
That immunity is absolutely essential for 30+ metres of microphone-level signal in a live music venue.....but hardly necessary for a metre of line-level signal.

As others have said though, XLR connectors (or Cannon plugs as old gits call them) are nice to use.
But that in not a ground on the RCA. if the XLR has two live feeds then it also does not have a ground.

unless you are calling the return signal (also live) a ground?

I may be way off here but an electrical circuit needs a minimum of two wires. A feed and a return. A ground is just a safety wire to help out if something that should not be live goes live.

off to read up on XLR fittings.

But that in not a ground on the RCA. if the XLR has two live feeds then it also does not have a ground.

unless you are calling the return signal (also live) a ground?

I may be way off here but an electrical circuit needs a minimum of two wires. A feed and a return. A ground is just a safety wire to help out if something that should not be live goes live.

off to read up on XLR fittings.
the third pin in an XLR is a ground.
"XLR cables feature male and female terminals where each of three pins connect to one of three dedicated wires in the cable. Two of the wires are for passing the signal, and one is a ground wire. The ground wire’s role is to surround the signal wires and protect against RF, EMI, and other interference, but what makes a balanced cable special is the way it uses the two dedicated signal wires.

The two signal wires are built with the same materials and have the same electrical impedance. When used to transmit a signal between balanced source/receiver connections, both signal wires in a balanced XLR cable carry the same signal, but with opposite polarity - one carries a positive signal, while the other carries the inverse, a negative signal. This forms a balanced (differential) connection and is generally how balanced XLR cables are used."

Reactions: Gray

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
Just put XLRs between my pre amp and my 9000A. They certainly look the part and give me the assurity that they are truely connected, not sure the QED RCAs gave me this. As to tonally better, not sure, but certainly no worse.

D

Deleted member 201267

So, I’ve ordered a set of oyaide xlr cables to try on my new Musical Fidelity amp and cd.
Just wanted to get a general opinion from anyone that has used xlr cables before and their thoughts?
I’ll be trying these out tomorrow, once I get home. So I’m interested to hear what others think when comparing them to rca?
Thanks.

A friend had the MK1 MF M6I CD/AMP plus KEF LS50 speakers.

We compared the RCA and XLR versions of the Kimber Timbre interconnects.

The only difference we could hear was that the XLR connection was louder !

D

Deleted member 201267

that's going to be common with all XLR cables.

There was no difference, sound quality wise, between the RCA / XLR versions of the same cable though.

This is what surprised us having been told that the XLR connection should sound slightly better by Musical Fidelity themselves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts