Question Balanced XLR cables?

So, I’ve ordered a set of oyaide xlr cables to try on my new Musical Fidelity amp and cd.
Just wanted to get a general opinion from anyone that has used xlr cables before and their thoughts?
I’ll be trying these out tomorrow, once I get home. So I’m interested to hear what others think when comparing them to rca?
Thanks.

So, I’ve ordered a set of oyaide xlr cables to try on my new Musical Fidelity amp and cd.
Just wanted to get a general opinion from anyone that has used xlr cables before and their thoughts?
I’ll be trying these out tomorrow, once I get home. So I’m interested to hear what others think when comparing them to rca?
Thanks.
To be honest I couldn't hear any difference between XLR and a pair of similarly priced RCAs, although I do like their method of connection. See what you think.

Last edited:
I’ve never compared, but I did use costly balanced cables by Transparent on my Krell amp and CD. Also balanced between Linn streamer and Nord power amp, because the latter only had XLR sockets, when I used Linn Silver (a copper cable!)

No longer using balanced since latest power amp arrived . Not that I have any noise issues now I’m using unbalanced which is the Pass Labs way. TBH in normal domestic setups I’m not sure there’s much to choose, or it’s more influenced by how the connectors are implemented - e.g is it fully balanced or just added for show?

Last edited:
After a few hours (not much I know) there is very little between them. It’s hard to judge as each time I switch the xlr are louder, so I need to adjust the volume . I think the Chord clearway rca go a bit deeper, but the oyaide sound more flat and realistic in the whole range. I’ll keep trying them both. I can say that both are enjoyable and I’m pleasantly surprised and impressed by the oyaide XLR.

After a few hours (not much I know) there is very little between them. It’s hard to judge as each time I switch the xlr are louder, so I need to adjust the volume . I think the Chord clearway rca go a bit deeper, but the oyaide sound more flat and realistic in the whole range. I’ll keep trying them both. I can say that both are enjoyable and I’m pleasantly surprised and impressed by the oyaide XLR.
One thing about XLR cables is the signal is somewhat amplified, at least it will seem that way.
Personally, I don't like the colour.... :)
Admittedly its not likely to be on display....

Nope, it is unseen in the setup. There’s black blue silver white and green back there, and there has been red Also. And I can’t see any of them 😊😊
The signal is definitely louder though the xlr, but honestly I would have a hard time working out which was which being used.
I bet the neighbours think I’m nuts, playing the same song for a few mins then starting it again while I swap between cables. It will drive my Mrs nuts. So I’m having to wait while she goes out before I can experiment 😂

Reactions: Al ears

abacus

Nope, it is unseen in the setup. There’s black blue silver white and green back there, and there has been red Also. And I can’t see any of them 😊😊
The signal is definitely louder though the xlr, but honestly I would have a hard time working out which was which being used.
I bet the neighbours think I’m nuts, playing the same song for a few mins then starting it again while I swap between cables. It will drive my Mrs nuts. So I’m having to wait while she goes out before I can experiment 😂

There are different input/output voltages between RCA and XLR inputs/outputs so the change in volume would be expected.
For true comparison you have to level match the volume when changing cables, and make sure somebody else changes them while you are out of the room. (Level matched double blind test)

Bill

That would be the ideal. But I’m trying to remain as unbiased as I can. As I’m still getting used to all the new stuff in the setup it’s not just a cable thing. The whole presentation has changed with the new amp. It’s much more forward than the marantz, so I’m trying to judge a lot of new stuff at the same time.
Enjoying it though.

Reactions: aversaurus
There are different input/output voltages between RCA and XLR inputs/outputs so the change in volume would be expected.
For true comparison you have to level match the volume when changing cables, and make sure somebody else changes them while you are out of the room. (Level matched double blind test)

Bill
unless you have the right equipment you have to level match by ear.
That alone means the amp is not operating to the same level and hence it is impossible to analyse one bit of equipment (cable) on it's own.

I’ve been doing my best to level match using a db meter app and my own ears. It’s all a bit subjective really. What I can say for certain is those oyaide cables are a bargain and are sounding really good.
I would definitely recommend them as a first xlr to try if the situation arises for anyone.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Thanks.

The XLR will be 10-20dB louder than RCA, but in a "busy" rack they will reject interference, that is their purpose in life.

Of course the manufacturer of a domestic amp may have invested heavily in these extra inputs or have added them cheap, try both

The XLR will be 10-20dB louder than RCA, but in a "busy" rack they will reject interference, that is their purpose in life.

Of course the manufacturer of a domestic amp may have invested heavily in these extra inputs or have added them cheap, try both
Not too sure why MF would bother to fit inferior XLR fittings....., Care to explain?
If you read the thread you might note he has tried both....

WayneKerr

That would be the ideal. But I’m trying to remain as unbiased as I can. As I’m still getting used to all the new stuff in the setup it’s not just a cable thing. The whole presentation has changed with the new amp. It’s much more forward than the marantz, so I’m trying to judge a lot of new stuff at the same time.
Enjoying it though.
Is the MF a Class D amp?

TRENDING THREADS