Bad Picture on 40W4500 and 40Z4500 Demo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My quest for a TV continues. I found myself in Currys over the weekend and they had a huge display of tellys there to have a look at. I noticed on one side of the store a Sony setup and went over to have a look. The models on show were the 40w4500, 40z4500 and I think a 46" model. All of them were playing a demo James Bond dvd that had the screen divided into two with supposed SD quality on the bottom half with HD on the top half. I've got to say that I wasn't impressed with any of them, the picture seemed very grainy to me and just a bit of a let dow. They certainly didn't look as good as the Panasonic display next to them, or in my opinion the Panasonics nearby.

I have to say that I don't have any axe to grind here and that I am a lifelong fan of Sony equipment. In fact, as I look at my set-up now I have a Sony crt TV, a Sony VCR and a Sony TV in the bedroom. I walked over to the display wanting to buy one of the two 40" TV's, but the demo looked awful. Has anyone else seen this Demo, and if so what do you think? It was so lacklustre that I asked if I could see a different Blu Ray disc,but was refused.

I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts on this

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I once saw an Award-winning Pioneer Kuro plasma looking shocking set-up with a Pioneer DVD system - the store had connected it via S-video, totally ignoring either the HDMI connection or any form of set-up.

I more recently popped into a shop demonstrating Sony LCDs with a broadcast picture (from a loop aerial) as snowy as the recent weather.

And just yesterday one of our mystery shopper reported back on some excellent Panasonics being sold short with a really fuzzy demo.

I really don't understand how some stores sell a single telly if this is how they present the good ones....

matthewpiano

Quite often when I go into these bigger stores to check out the competition, I notice that they are feeding sources such as Sky HD through to the analogue tuners of the TV sets on display. What is the point??

One of the basics in our shop is having the availability of Sky HD feeds, via HDMI, to EVERY TV on display as well as a good freeview digital signal. Adding the willingness to move blu-ray players to any set in the shop to demonstrate completes the picture, so to speak. We are not alone in this. There are plenty of quality smaller retailers/dealers who get these basics right, so find one in your area and give the W4500 and Z4500 a proper chance before you decide.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I can only second what Clare says. I've seen some truly shocking demos in the big electrical stores, and yet I've seen the same TVs, properly calibrated and connected, deliver superb pictures in our test rooms. Go figure.

A

Anonymous

I've seen the exact same demo (in John Lewis) and yes its horrible - I ignored it and got them to hook a PS3 up to the KDLZ4500 (and a Panasonic I was looking at) and watched some decent video which looked fantastic!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
IMHO a "DEMO" on a shop floor does not equate to a real demo of a TV and there is more chance of hell freezing over than of me actually making a purchace of any peice of AV equipment based upon a what I have seen/heard on the shop floor. Find a smaller retailer who has propper demonstration rooms where you can view some of you own DVD/BD's then make you mind up.
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

well, I ended up buying the 40W4500 after a demo in the local Sony centre. I must say that I've had it for about a week now and I'm blown away by the picture. I bought a sony BDP-s350 and the picture quality is stunning. I was also impressed by the Sky HD picture and the SD too. I watched the Da Vinci code over the weekend in a dark room to see if the clouding issue presented itself and thankfully it didn't.

When I mentioned the clouding issue to the guy in the shop he said that if I wasn't 100% satified with the picture they'd exchange
efund no quibbles, so that gave me confidence to part with my hard earned.

Would the Q-AV soundbar fit under this set?

Thanks to everyone for their advice

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
emotion-5.gif
Well i think Sony are over rated, come to think of it most are, i am looking at the bush 40in plasma from tesco and its stunning they were showing tom and jerry, and wow the colours were super, thinking of the denon-3800 to go with it, the bush was only £299 with our club points off, any AHEM thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS