backing up music and pics to external HD

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Its a broad canvas on google so im looking for a starting point.

Im just a silly home user on vista. I dont give a monkeys about crashing or losing an operting system

or progs. But I have backed up my music and photos to an Ext. HD. (im on vista). I dragged

and dropped my music, pics and a few docs a couple of months back. I now have some changes and extra pics etc.

is there a way of making sure I dont get duplicates as I cant remember what is new since the last backup.

I dont need anything automatic.

A

Anonymous

just drag and drop the same folder pc will say there are duplicate items or words to that affect just say yes replace items your old items will be replaced along with your new items added.

A

Anonymous

Or if you want a few more option use a (free) file manager like Total Commander. So you can select to replace only if the file to be overwritten is older. Or compare directories and mark newer/new files etc. Of course there are also many options if you want a real backup program that does the maintenance for you.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you have the space, relabel the root folder with a date and just slap the whole lot on again. If you have made a cods of your files somewhere along the line, you can still get back to the original. I tend to maintain two or three iterations back.....just in case. But then I'm paranoid. And work in IT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts