Back to vinyl

revvers

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello all. I am returning to vinyl after a 10 year digital abscence. I sold most of my previous system (Rega Planar2, and Monitor Audio speakers) some years back and as an entry back in, I am using my old Cambridge A1 amp, Kef Coda speakers and I have just bought a Thorens TD 160 mk 2 turntable, with Ortofon VMS 10 Mk 2 cartridge.

When I run the Thorens through the amp, the sound is VERY low, so my question is; Does the Thorens need a pre amp or phono amp to get the power up (my Rega just plugged and played), or should I be looking at the cartridge which came with the turntable? (It was bought from the bay of E). The phono output works on the amp, as do the speakers.

I'm not much of a techno/audiophile, so please be gentle!! Thanks

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
revvers said:
Hello all. I am returning to vinyl after a 10 year digital abscence. I sold most of my previous system (Rega Planar2, and Monitor Audio speakers) some years back and as an entry back in, I am using my old Cambridge A1 amp, Kef Coda speakers and I have just bought a Thorens TD 160 mk 2 turntable, with Ortofon VMS 10 Mk 2 cartridge.

When I run the Thorens through the amp, the sound is VERY low, so my question is; Does the Thorens need a pre amp or phono amp to get the power up (my Rega just plugged and played), or should I be looking at the cartridge which came with the turntable? (It was bought from the bay of E). The phono output works on the amp, as do the speakers.

I'm not much of a techno/audiophile, so please be gentle!! Thanks

From the Cambridge website it appears the phono stage for the A1 is an optional extra so I would guess you need an external phono amp.

How do you know the phono works on the amp if you have very low sound?

revvers

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello Lost Angeles. I plugged my c.d player into the phono socketand all was well. An album I put on sounded distorted as well, so I think I'm going to check out the Rega phono amp Mini A2D and get a new cartridge, just to be on the safe side

TRENDING THREADS