Back to Vinyl After 40 Year Absence Is This Set Up A Good Choice???

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
I had my vinyl collection stolen in the eighties and recently jumped down the rabbit hole and started a new vinyl collection. So my question is, am I making a good choice with the following gear? I would really appreciate some expert input to guide me in the right direction. Thank you , any input is very much appreciated.

NAD C368 Stereo Amplifier
Rega Planar 1 Turntable
Focal Chora 806 Bookshelf Speakers

Reactions: hifi

matthewpianist

I've owned the Focals and the NAD. I haven't owned the Planar 1, but I have had a Planar 2.

The amp and speakers are very exposing - feed them a really high quality source and they make a phenomenal pairing, but skimp on the front-end and you'll know about it.

I recommend upping the stakes with the turntable and cartridge. Moving up to the Project Debut Carbon PRO would pay huge dividends - not only is it a better turntable but the cartridge is also better than the one supplied with the Planar 1.

The Rega alternative would be the Planar 3. It's a very good turntable, but my preference would be towards the Project.

The phono stage in the C368 is OK and will get you up and running, but you'll benefit from moving up to an external one in time. Are you intending to run any other sources? If not, there are amps better suited to your needs.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
I've owned the Focals and the NAD. I haven't owned the Planar 1, but I have had a Planar 2.

The amp and speakers are very exposing - feed them a really high quality source and they make a phenomenal pairing, but skimp on the front-end and you'll know about it.

I recommend upping the stakes with the turntable and cartridge. Moving up to the Project Debut Carbon PRO would pay huge dividends - not only is it a better turntable but the cartridge is also better than the one supplied with the Planar 1.

The Rega alternative would be the Planar 3. It's a very good turntable, but my preference would be towards the Project.

The phono stage in the C368 is OK and will get you up and running, but you'll benefit from moving up to an external one in time. Are you intending to run any other sources? If not, there are amps better suited to your needs.

G'day matthewpianist, Your the second person to point me towards project turntables so I think as soon as Easter is out of the way I'll have to go and test drive them. As for the amp I was going to add a CD player and tuner in time , but what exactly I don't know yet and haven't checked anything out, so that's still an open book as is everything else. I suppose you could say I'm just fishing at the minute and not 100% sure what way I'll go until I take onboard whatever advice is thrown at me then go in store and have a good listen. Thank you for your input it's very much appreciated, cheers.

Reactions: matthewpianist

nads

G'day matthewpianist, Your the second person to point me towards project turntables so I think as soon as Easter is out of the way I'll have to go and test drive them. As for the amp I was going to add a CD player and tuner in time , but what exactly I don't know yet and haven't checked anything out, so that's still an open book as is everything else. I suppose you could say I'm just fishing at the minute and not 100% sure what way I'll go until I take onboard whatever advice is thrown at me then go in store and have a good listen. Thank you for your input it's very much appreciated, cheers.
Have a look at the add on modules you can get for the NAD. The BLUIOS one is for the internet radios and music streaming.

Reactions: Puddle5ofMud

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
hello ,i only know NAD for it´s very good integrated amplifiers released in the 70´s ,later(90´S) a friend of mine bought an expensive system, who had great sound but in a year of smoth use the keys which were colored started to fall, on the deck of cassettes ,in the amplifier ,etc. the JmLabs also were great now they call themselves as a brand with a name known to be a speaker series of this refered brand ,i used to think " where did i saw that symbol ?" well with time i was making changes on one of my systems and looked for a pair of JMLabs wich was called focal with the litle symbol in the back, they now are really expensive and the ones who are afordable don´t have the quality of 5 years ago wharfedale home speakers, now i heard they joined forces with the good but destroyd KEF and Celestion being "engeniered in U.K. or England and made in China", i only hope that this one of the last good brand of speakers to survive didn´t destroyd themselves up like the two brands refered, as you refered you had a record colection that was stolen from you. Rega Planar is not a very used brand where i live, here people bought pro-ject turntables , they all talked about how good were those Pro-ject but having 7 turntables from the 70´s and only two thorens from early 80´s and other from early 90´s being the last a bit expensive ,it came with a mc type cartridge from Ortofon, but none of those 8 or 9 turntables with upgraded cartridges from Pro-ject ,only a friend of mine from germany who lives now in interior south of Portugal, he did bought a Pro-ject turntable( the turntable itself and the cartridge costed 3 years ago 14.000€ ) that is similar in sound to the 70´s turntables i own from Pioneer and Technics but nothing related they seem CHICO turntables for kids with more than 5 years old or bits of plastic with nothing in it . All from 53 to 44 years of heavy use in perfect condition, some with new cartridges ,because the old ones were not sold anymore ,it´s stylus. I went to buy one for my 90´s thorens wich at the time was a very good turntable from a known brand, to match it´s prior quality i had to buy a Ortofon Quintet black S (mc type)but maybe because i only listened everyday to records but at the most 2 or 3 hours for the last 3 monthes not much hours , they say it will sound better with more use ,because it wasn´t that dynamic ,detailed ,Yes , but having a good system i could, using the tone controls and loudness ,feel the sound becoming much better with a nice spectrum of frequencies and becoming with time a litle more dynamic, this to say that if you knew the turntables existing at the time ,run from this two brands ,the Fluance only heard one but it sounded ok ,not that good but in price very low and in quality of sound not comparable with a Pro-Ject around 1.000€ ,much better. Maybe because it came with AT cartridge that i had in a 83 turntable from pioneer ,a PL-430 wich it sounded great but only playd it to sell it in two weeks because it came with a system i wanted the amplifier and the speakers the tuner and cassette deck are still closed in their boxes, if you have knowledge about old material try to find old and working perfect will become a lot more quality in sound and cheaper ,even if you have to make some repairs that are know to be needed in old componets it would becheap ,i could tell you buy a technics modern receiver and some technics speakers that are made for this type of receiver and a good turntable that you know their quality in sound , all of those friends of mine said " the turntable doesn´t sound better than the cd player , well even the cheapest deck from the second series of AkAI when recorded from a cd the recording sounds much better this using now a A_717MKII from Pioneer some Mission from mid 80´s known as argonaut with low impedance but powerull , A PLC-590(or close) and a SP1 from technics and having restored some cassette decks i´m using to record compliations for my taste with a CT-959 from Pioneer , a DRM-800a from Denon and a old Nakamichi ZX-9, i think i recorded around 80 cassettes that i bought when no one was using them and knowing a worker on one of the warehouses he sold me maybe 10 boxes of 10 cassettes TDK SA-X , SA´s and D also several boxes of SONY UX-PRO and UX, this to say that i also either than records use cd´s and i own aropund 4.000 of original ones and spent a lot of money for a CEC cd player who is belt driven but no one knows it, but i know it sounds better than others that i still own from late 80´s to early 90´s, all of this to say buy old in perfect conditrion not expensiove with bad sound or maybe 14.000€ in a new turntable that with less than 200€ you can buy better from 76 Technics catalog ,on Ebay prices are over the roof but in local sites they still sell good material cheap. Sorry for this long text but i´m at work and i have to do something

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
hello ,i only know NAD for it´s very good integrated amplifiers released in the 70´s ,later(90´S) a friend of mine bought an expensive system, who had great sound but in a year of smoth use the keys which were colored started to fall, on the deck of cassettes ,in the amplifier ,etc. the JmLabs also were great now they call themselves as a brand with a name known to be a speaker series of this refered brand ,i used to think " where did i saw that symbol ?" well with time i was making changes on one of my systems and looked for a pair of JMLabs wich was called focal with the litle symbol in the back, they now are really expensive and the ones who are afordable don´t have the quality of 5 years ago wharfedale home speakers, now i heard they joined forces with the good but destroyd KEF and Celestion being "engeniered in U.K. or England and made in China", i only hope that this one of the last good brand of speakers to survive didn´t destroyd themselves up like the two brands refered, as you refered you had a record colection that was stolen from you. Rega Planar is not a very used brand where i live, here people bought pro-ject turntables , they all talked about how good were those Pro-ject but having 7 turntables from the 70´s and only two thorens from early 80´s and other from early 90´s being the last a bit expensive ,it came with a mc type cartridge from Ortofon, but none of those 8 or 9 turntables with upgraded cartridges from Pro-ject ,only a friend of mine from germany who lives now in interior south of Portugal, he did bought a Pro-ject turntable( the turntable itself and the cartridge costed 3 years ago 14.000€ ) that is similar in sound to the 70´s turntables i own from Pioneer and Technics but nothing related they seem CHICO turntables for kids with more than 5 years old or bits of plastic with nothing in it . All from 53 to 44 years of heavy use in perfect condition, some with new cartridges ,because the old ones were not sold anymore ,it´s stylus. I went to buy one for my 90´s thorens wich at the time was a very good turntable from a known brand, to match it´s prior quality i had to buy a Ortofon Quintet black S (mc type)but maybe because i only listened everyday to records but at the most 2 or 3 hours for the last 3 monthes not much hours , they say it will sound better with more use ,because it wasn´t that dynamic ,detailed ,Yes , but having a good system i could, using the tone controls and loudness ,feel the sound becoming much better with a nice spectrum of frequencies and becoming with time a litle more dynamic, this to say that if you knew the turntables existing at the time ,run from this two brands ,the Fluance only heard one but it sounded ok ,not that good but in price very low and in quality of sound not comparable with a Pro-Ject around 1.000€ ,much better. Maybe because it came with AT cartridge that i had in a 83 turntable from pioneer ,a PL-430 wich it sounded great but only playd it to sell it in two weeks because it came with a system i wanted the amplifier and the speakers the tuner and cassette deck are still closed in their boxes, if you have knowledge about old material try to find old and working perfect will become a lot more quality in sound and cheaper ,even if you have to make some repairs that are know to be needed in old componets it would becheap ,i could tell you buy a technics modern receiver and some technics speakers that are made for this type of receiver and a good turntable that you know their quality in sound , all of those friends of mine said " the turntable doesn´t sound better than the cd player , well even the cheapest deck from the second series of AkAI when recorded from a cd the recording sounds much better this using now a A_717MKII from Pioneer some Mission from mid 80´s known as argonaut with low impedance but powerull , A PLC-590(or close) and a SP1 from technics and having restored some cassette decks i´m using to record compliations for my taste with a CT-959 from Pioneer , a DRM-800a from Denon and a old Nakamichi ZX-9, i think i recorded around 80 cassettes that i bought when no one was using them and knowing a worker on one of the warehouses he sold me maybe 10 boxes of 10 cassettes TDK SA-X , SA´s and D also several boxes of SONY UX-PRO and UX, this to say that i also either than records use cd´s and i own aropund 4.000 of original ones and spent a lot of money for a CEC cd player who is belt driven but no one knows it, but i know it sounds better than others that i still own from late 80´s to early 90´s, all of this to say buy old in perfect conditrion not expensiove with bad sound or maybe 14.000€ in a new turntable that with less than 200€ you can buy better from 76 Technics catalog ,on Ebay prices are over the roof but in local sites they still sell good material cheap. Sorry for this long text but i´m at work and i have to do something
I almost forget , records today are maybe 2 in 10 perfect, the others come with dirt from factory

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
I had my vinyl collection stolen in the eighties and recently jumped down the rabbit hole and started a new vinyl collection. So my question is, am I making a good choice with the following gear? I would really appreciate some expert input to guide me in the right direction. Thank you , any input is very much appreciated.

Rega Planar 1 Turntable
Focal Chora 806 Bookshelf Speakers
you can pick up some great tunes in second hand shops and in all formats charity shops and so on .

Last edited:

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
you can pick up some great tunes in second hand shops and in all formats charity shops ans so on .

G'day hifi, I have been checking the charity shops so far not much luck but it's good fun going through all the old records all the same, brings back some old memories. Thanks for the heads up much appreciated, have a good one.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
if picking up second-hand vinyl I suggest you have some really good vinyl cleaning equipment.
My local second-hand vinyl dealer actually cleans the LPs first off but, because of that, they are not the cheapest around.

G'day Al ears, Ah, now there's another rabbit hole, record cleaning and cleaning equipment. I have a friend with a quite large vinyl collection who swears by a microfiber cloth and distilled water. Hmm, thoughts anyone???

nads

I bought an OKKI NOKKI and every new or old now gets cleaned before play as there is no one checking the new ones before sending out.

you need something a bit stronger that just water and a cloth.

Reactions: WayneKerr

nads

Thats 1 expensive cleaner does it make that much diffrence?
It was all there was about when I bought it. decided that £1 a record was worth it. And that was almost 20 years ago.

recently I had a session with brand new records that I did not clean.
Xq5ydld.jpg

opps.

Oxfordian

Yes.
But something like a Knosti Disco Antistat might suffice, it's all I have
More expensive ultra sonic cleaner if you have a large collection or always buy second-hand might be advisable.

Knosti is my choice for cleaning records as well, it seems to work rather well, some of my old LP’s bought back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s sound almost perfect after I gave them a good clean when I got back into playing vinyl a couple of years ago, they hadn’t seen a record cleaner ever just a gentle or not so gentle brush with the old velvet.

Now every record gets cleaned via Knosti when it arrives in the house, a gentle sweep with a carbon fibre brush before playing and those pesky ‘pops and crackles’ are all but not existent.

Oh small point to factor in, get some proper inner sleeves, don’t use the plain paper ones provided as they generate dust.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Knosti is my choice for cleaning records as well, it seems to work rather well, some of my old LP’s bought back in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s sound almost perfect after I gave them a good clean when I got back into playing vinyl a couple of years ago, they hadn’t seen a record cleaner ever just a gentle or not so gentle brush with the old velvet.

Now every record gets cleaned via Knosti when it arrives in the house, a gentle sweep with a carbon fibre brush before playing and those pesky ‘pops and crackles’ are all but not existent.

Oh small point to factor in, get some proper inner sleeves, don’t use the plain paper ones provided as they generate dust.

G'day Oxfordian, You mention getting inner sleeves, anti static I presume? Should one put these anti static sleeves inside the paper ones or get rid of the paper ones altogether. Its just that some of the paper sleeves contain artwork or lyrics?

Reactions: Oxfordian

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
An update on my direction after coming from the HiFi shop, I've made my mind up on the amp and speakers but the turntable not so much yet, I think I need another listen at a different store. The amp and the B&W 606's sound great together plus the upgrade potential of the amp. Any input on these turntables would be much appreciated or the amp and speaker combination. Thank you to everyone for your input it's very much appreciated, cheers. Everything will be black.

B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition Speakers
??? - NAD C588 Turntable
??? - Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 Turntable
??? - ProJect X2 Turntable

Links for all:

Amp.

Speakers.

Turntables.
NAD
REGA
PROJECT