Back to Vinyl After 40 Year Absence Is This Set Up A Good Choice???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
An update on my direction after coming from the HiFi shop, I've made my mind up on the amp and speakers but the turntable not so much yet, I think I need another listen at a different store. The amp and the B&W 606's sound great together plus the upgrade potential of the amp. Any input on these turntables would be much appreciated or the amp and speaker combination. Thank you to everyone for your input it's very much appreciated, cheers. Everything will be black.

NAD C368 Stereo Amplifier
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition Speakers
??? - NAD C588 Turntable
??? - Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 Turntable
??? - ProJect X2 Turntable

Links for all:

Amp.

Speakers.

Turntables.
NAD
REGA
PROJECT
Out of those turntables I would take the Pro-ject.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Out of those turntables I would take the Pro-ject.
G'day Al ears, Your recommending the Project turntable and they are - Available Without Cartridge Or Fitted With Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge Or 2M Bronze Or Quintet Bronze Cartridges. So my next question is what is the better cartridge? So many variables in what I thought was going to be a simple trip to the HiFi shop. Thanks again Al ears for your input it's very much appreciated. Cheers and have a good one.

WayneKerr

G'day Al ears, Your recommending the Project turntable and they are - Available Without Cartridge Or Fitted With Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge Or 2M Bronze Or Quintet Bronze Cartridges. So my next question is what is the better cartridge? So many variables in what I thought was going to be a simple trip to the HiFi shop. Thanks again Al ears for your input it's very much appreciated. Cheers and have a good one.
Not wishing to step on Al's toes but here's my 2p's worth: Agree with Al re the ProJect (y) 2M blue is okay but 2M Bronze is much much better; don't need the Quintet as that's an MC cart so you'd possibly need an MC phono-stage.

I've previously owned a ProJect and all the Ortofon 2M range. Cartridges are very personal, I moved form Ortofon to Nagaoka as I preferred the sound signature.

You ask about paper sleeves, ditch them, but only after cleaning your records then add a nice new anti-stat sleeve after cleaning. You can always keep the original paper sleeves for posterity.

nads

That particular NAD turntable is made by Project.

as mentioned above the type of cartridge will be an issue as the amp is only set for MM cartridges.

as much as I would suggest the Project remember it does not come with a cover.

Reactions: Puddle5ofMud

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Not wishing to step on Al's toes but here's my 2p's worth: Agree with Al re the ProJect (y) 2M blue is okay but 2M Bronze is much much better; don't need the Quintet as that's an MC cart so you'd possibly need an MC phono-stage.

I've previously owned a ProJect and all the Ortofon 2M range. Cartridges are very personal, I moved form Ortofon to Nagaoka as I preferred the sound signature.

You ask about paper sleeves, ditch them, but only after cleaning your records then add a nice new anti-stat sleeve after cleaning. You can always keep the original paper sleeves for posterity.

G'day WayneKerr, Thanks for the reply. It's a murky little world to swim through after 40 years of cd's but I'm learning every day which is a good thing. So its off to the record shop for some cleaning equipment and some anti-stat sleeves. So Project it is then I think with your recommendation of the 2M Bronze Cartridge. Cheers and thanks again I will update with pics when all is set up after redecorating the living room not before as much as I would love to set up immediately.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
That particular NAD turntable is made by Project.

as mentioned above the type of cartridge will be an issue as the amp is only set for MM cartridges.

as much as I would suggest the Project remember it does not come with a cover.

G'day nads, Just letting you know after reading the specs for the Project about 3/4 of the way down the list is the following.

Included accessories: 15V DC / 800 mA power supply, dust cover, Connect it E Phono RCA cable, felt mat

No doubt it has been price adjusted I'm sure. Cheers and have a good one.

Oxfordian

G'day Oxfordian, You mention getting inner sleeves, anti static I presume? Should one put these anti static sleeves inside the paper ones or get rid of the paper ones altogether. Its just that some of the paper sleeves contain artwork or lyrics?

Yes anti stat inners will be a good investment, I use the ones from MoFi, they seem pretty good but there others available.

If the record is received with any form of printed insert I keep the inserts as they are integral part of the package, I tend to have the record in the anti stat sleeve alongside the the printed sleeve inside the outer sleeve. Some LP's are supplied with a good plain lined inner sleeve which can be used.

I have also invested in some outer sleeve protection in the form of resealable poly sleeves which help keep dust at bay, albeit I am trying out some new outer sleeves which have a pocket for the LP to sit outside the main sleeve, not 100% sure if this is a route I want to go down long term but the quality of these new sleeves is very good and much better than the ones I have been using.

Why outer sleeve protection? Well back in the depths of time we owned two cats and they decided one day to use my LP's as scratching posts, so many of my old LP's have very sorry looking outer jackets and some are just about holding together inside these protective outer sleeves.

What I do maybe a bit OTT but with the price of Vinyl protecting my investments as best I can seems logical, at least it does to me.

Oxfordian

An update on my direction after coming from the HiFi shop, I've made my mind up on the amp and speakers but the turntable not so much yet, I think I need another listen at a different store. The amp and the B&W 606's sound great together plus the upgrade potential of the amp. Any input on these turntables would be much appreciated or the amp and speaker combination. Thank you to everyone for your input it's very much appreciated, cheers. Everything will be black.

NAD C368 Stereo Amplifier
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition Speakers
??? - NAD C588 Turntable
??? - Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 Turntable
??? - ProJect X2 Turntable

Links for all:

Amp.

Speakers.

Turntables.
NAD
REGA
PROJECT

I'll throw my vote to the Rega 3, mine is great, I love the sound I get from it, you can see what it is connected to in my signature.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Yes anti stat inners will be a good investment, I use the ones from MoFi, they seem pretty good but there others available.

If the record is received with any form of printed insert I keep the inserts as they are integral part of the package, I tend to have the record in the anti stat sleeve alongside the the printed sleeve inside the outer sleeve. Some LP's are supplied with a good plain lined inner sleeve which can be used.

I have also invested in some outer sleeve protection in the form of resealable poly sleeves which help keep dust at bay, albeit I am trying out some new outer sleeves which have a pocket for the LP to sit outside the main sleeve, not 100% sure if this is a route I want to go down long term but the quality of these new sleeves is very good and much better than the ones I have been using.

Why outer sleeve protection? Well back in the depths of time we owned two cats and they decided one day to use my LP's as scratching posts, so many of my old LP's have very sorry looking outer jackets and some are just about holding together inside these protective outer sleeves.

What I do maybe a bit OTT but with the price of Vinyl protecting my investments as best I can seems logical, at least it does to me.

G'day Oxfordian, I was always a fan of the outer plastic sleeve to protect the cover but I've never come across ones that can be sealed, sounds like an excellent idea, do you have a name or a link for these? I don't have cats but I like to keep thing as close to perfect as possible, I'm a little OCD that way I suppose you might say LOL. Thanks for the input it's much appreciated, cheers have a good one.

Reactions: Oxfordian

WayneKerr

G'day WayneKerr, Thanks for the reply. It's a murky little world to swim through after 40 years of cd's but I'm learning every day which is a good thing. So its off to the record shop for some cleaning equipment and some anti-stat sleeves. So Project it is then I think with your recommendation of the 2M Bronze Cartridge. Cheers and thanks again I will update with pics when all is set up after redecorating the living room not before as much as I would love to set up immediately.
Bare minimum for record cleaning I would recommend the Knosti Disco Anti-Stat, I had one and it did a good job. Cheap home-brew fluid cleaning solutions are available - just ask back here for info.

As for cables the ones supplied with the turntable will more than suffice.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
Bare minimum for record cleaning I would recommend the Knosti Disco Anti-Stat, I had one and it did a good job. Cheap home-brew fluid cleaning solutions are available - just ask back here for info.

As for cables the ones supplied with the turntable will more than suffice.

G'day WayneKerr, Thanks for the reply much appreciated. I have just bookmarked a page about the Knosti Disco Anti-Stat that I will read in a couple of hours as I have to go out now. Cheers and have a good one.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Oxfordian

G'day Oxfordian, I was always a fan of the outer plastic sleeve to protect the cover but I've never come across ones that can be sealed, sounds like an excellent idea, do you have a name or a link for these? I don't have cats but I like to keep thing as close to perfect as possible, I'm a little OCD that way I suppose you might say LOL. Thanks for the input it's much appreciated, cheers have a good one.

The resealable ones that I have been using for a while are from Spincare, the ones I am testing come from Michael45, he is in Germany and imports sleeves (inner and outer) from Canada, various designs some I like more than others. You can also find him at 45 RPM Audiophile on YT.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
The resealable ones that I have been using for a while are from Spincare, the ones I am testing come from Michael45, he is in Germany and imports sleeves (inner and outer) from Canada, various designs some I like more than others. You can also find him at 45 RPM Audiophile on YT.

G'day Oxfordian, Thank you I will check these out much appreciated, have a good one.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
It was all there was about when I bought it. decided that £1 a record was worth it. And that was almost 20 years ago.

recently I had a session with brand new records that I did not clean.
Xq5ydld.jpg

opps.
WOW 🧐

camcroft

I could't get on with those when you try to take out the album they stick to the sticky bit. I cut off the tops and leave the strip on the sticky bit and it works but they are really thin I prefer the conventional ones. The Spincare inner sleeves are good.

Puddle5ofMud

Apr 5, 2023
Visit site
I could't get on with those when you try to take out the album they stick to the sticky bit. I cut off the tops and leave the strip on the sticky bit and it works but they are really thin I prefer the conventional ones. The Spincare inner sleeves are good.

G'day camcroft, This may sound a little dumb but does anyone do external sleeves like a resealable sandwich bag?

1681133966827.png

camcroft

G'day camcroft, This may sound a little dumb but does anyone do external sleeves like a resealable sandwich bag?

View attachment 4611
Not really sure. As stated I meant the Spincare re-sealable ones I hate them I have used but a few from a pack of 25 I got them on a special deal from Spincare themselves. I was always taught to put the opening of the album so that it is inside the cover with the opening facing the top and not exposed which also stops the record from slipping out of the album's cover.

camcroft

I live in Australia and tomorrow I will contact the people here that make the sandwich bags and put this to them and see if they will come to the rescue with a heavyweight version for LP's. I will post the outcome here, fingers crossed.
I don't think that it is such a big market these days thats why companies like Spincare and the likes have stepped up seeing the potential in these Vinyl resurgence days..... But will it be short lived who knows.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts