Back to 2ch system: Creek, Arcam or Marantz for MA RX6?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
creek are excellent .....my marantz 603 sounds awsome i think if i was going for separates again i.d go higher end marantz ............maybe the pearl lites ive heard theyre awsome

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can only comment on my preference , which would be Arcam, simply for the synergy with the RX6. As has been said above, this has to be your decision based on hearing all of them with your speakers.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
As "Stereophile" said, "Creek" and "Monitor Audio RX-6" are an excellent combination! According to the builder of my tube-amp, "Marantz" is "very disappointing" in general. Some "Electrocompaniet" might do good work too!

Good luck!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I can't say for all marantz amps. But I have heard the pearl lite in a lengthy demo against the roksan k2.(demod with LS50 speakers). Both amps sound excellent but i did have a preference for the pearl lite. If i did not have a good amp already i would have bought it.

tonky

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you got the MA RX6's and if so what do you use at the moment/what do you want to improve?

If not, what made you choose those speakers, what have you heard them with?

regards

Jussi3000

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice and opinions. I am asking because I can only demo Marantz amps out of these three brands where I live. Arcam A19 and Creek Evo 50A seem to be getting good reviews and maybe they offer better performance than Marantz PM6004 or even PM7004 with RX6's. I could also get secondhand Arcam A38 for the price of new Creek Evo 50A but no chance to demo it either. A38 sure is higher-end amp and more powerful but missing phono and not sure about the absence of tone controls.

Jussi3000

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi. I have the RX6's up and running with Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver. I used to have MA BR2 AV setup with the RX-A1010 but I go to the movies more often nowdays than watch them at home and I use my receiver 90% for music and 10% for movies so I decided to get pair of floorstanders that go nicely with my Yamaha but maybe things could really improve more if I change my receiver to a integrated amp. RX-A1010 is quite good for music and stereo for receiver and it has power and specs are in good shape but still I wonder could I get more out of my speakers with integrated amp..

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I am somewhat biased as I really rate Arcam gear, but the A38 is a massive step up from the A19 and should have no problems driving the RX6s. I would buy an outboard phono stage instead of the A19 due to the clear uplift in SQ.

Arcam and MA work really well in all the guises I have heard them!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
For "Creek" i meant the "Destiny". The "2"-version will be expensive (2.000 GBP, new), but there might be a "1" secondhand. But you asked also about more expensive "Marantz" amps, so this could be your pricesegment too. Electrocompaniet is expensive too! A good amp will be expensive!

Rethep said:
For "Creek" i meant the "Destiny". The "2"-version will be expensive (2.000 GBP, new), but there might be a "1" secondhand. But you asked also about more expensive "Marantz" amps, so this could be your pricesegment too. Electrocompaniet is expensive too! A good amp will be expensive!

I've been saying that Creek (Evo2) and Monitor Audio are superb combo for the past 4 years. Doesn't anyone listen? No.

What's the EDITED point?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have heard the Creek 50A, Arcam A19 and Marantz Pearl Lite but not with the MA RX6 and not at the same time, the Creek 50A was the best. The A38 gets a poor review in WHF so not so sure its better than the A19. The impression I got is the Arcam A19 would suit classical music more than rock, the Creek seemed a good allrounder but was more musical. The Pearl Lite seemed pretty good but not so involving as the Creek. I suggest you read other reviews of the Creek, there is a link to 2 on their website.

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I can only comment on my preference , which would be Arcam, simply for the synergy with the RX6. As has been said above, this has to be your decision based on hearing all of them with your speakers.
Me too I actually have this combo and it works great

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I've been saying that Creek (Evo2) and Monitor Audio are superb combo for the past 4 years. Doesn't anyone listen? No.

What's the EDITED point?

If it's not on the front page of the Hi-Fi forum it never happened.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jussi3000 said:
Hi. I have the RX6's up and running with Yamaha RX-A1010 receiver. I used to have MA BR2 AV setup with the RX-A1010 but I go to the movies more often nowdays than watch them at home and I use my receiver 90% for music and 10% for movies so I decided to get pair of floorstanders that go nicely with my Yamaha but maybe things could really improve more if I change my receiver to a integrated amp. RX-A1010 is quite good for music and stereo for receiver and it has power and specs are in good shape but still I wonder could I get more out of my speakers with integrated amp..

Well, I don't think this is necessarely a forgoing conclusion.

I use my AV Receiver (modified) in my main system. It has 'bettered' a few stereo amplifiers in my posession for sheer musicality (this is after all why I listen to music). Amongst them a Denon PMA 1510AE, now sold and my recently acquired cyrus 8vs2 which is currently used in another system.

No, it is not perfect either but the combination of great facilities, power and 'musicality' is very convincing.

I have no idea how good or otherwise your receiver is in stereo but let your ears, rather than opinions, do the decision making and don't assume just because something is 'stereo only' it will make you automatically enjoy music more.

My 2pc ...

regards

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I have heard the Creek 50A, Arcam A19 and Marantz Pearl Lite but not with the MA RX6 and not at the same time, the Creek 50A was the best. The A38 gets a poor review in WHF so not so sure its better than the A19. The impression I got is the Arcam A19 would suit classical music more than rock, the Creek seemed a good allrounder but was more musical. The Pearl Lite seemed pretty good but not so involving as the Creek. I suggest you read other reviews of the Creek, there is a link to 2 on their website.

Don't base your purchase on WHF reviews alone. I can categorically confirm that after having the A19, A28 and A38 at home, the A38 trounced the smaller A19. Sure they share a warm, detailed and room filling sound, but the 38 has so much more realism and control. And it sounds great with ALL genres of music!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
BigH said:

Don't base your purchase on WHF reviews alone. I can categorically confirm that after having the A19, A28 and A38 at home, the A38 trounced the smaller A19. Sure they share a warm, detailed and room filling sound, but the 38 has so much more realism and control. And it sounds great with ALL genres of music!

Yes I quite agree, don't go on reviews too much and thanks for the comparision of the Arcam amps.

Jussi3000

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It's true that some receivers sound better in stereo use than others and as many of you have pointed out that it all comes down to personal taste and what you hear so demoing would be the way to go. I have owned 3 receivers (Onkyo and two Yamahas) and I think both Yammies were good in stereo but with very different characteristics, detail levels and power. I decided to gamble this time and got the Creek Evolution 50A without demoing it firts and at the moment I am hearing the best sound I have ever heard as a 'whole'. I have only listened briefly different types of music through my new Creek but out of the box it's far more flexible and musical with different types of music than any of the receivers i owned. I traded off some muscle and grunt on the bottom end but got better mids and highs in exchange so I am happy so far.

jacking

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Back to 2 Channel system. It sounds like you're having a Phil Spector moment (although he wanted to go back to one channel). I recently went back to a 2 channel system whilst still retaining my 5 channel one. Like most people I started with 2 channels and then bought into surround sound, but got fed up with all the cables and settled for a Yamaha sound bar, which is really, really poor on stereo. So have set up a separate 2 channel system along side it. I use my MacMini as the source (95% of my music is FLAC & ALAC files anyway) and have installed the Audirvana plug in to improve iTunes and added a Meridian Explorer external DAC with it connected to a pair of Audio Engine 5+ powered apeakers. I share the sub between the two systems and the whole thing looks quite neat and sounds terrific. Truth be told I'm completely out of touch with Hi-Fi these days and didn't want to buy a load of new stuff, and the Audo Engines are qute reasonably priced. I wouldn't recommend this approach to everyone, but it's how I got back to 2 channels.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Jussi3000,

I also have MA RX6 and plan to aquire Creek50A. Could you please share your opinion regarding bas? Unfortunately I cannot organize an audition with this combo. Thanx.

dan25

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanx PP for the info. The Evo 2 is bright sounding?

Regarding 50A the opinions are shared between bright and neutral to warm.

TRENDING THREADS