B&W MT30 VS Tannoy Arena Highline 500?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

Does anyone know the difference in sound quality between these two speaker packages?

Both have won the awards for best style speaker packages for the last two or three years and would like to know more about them

Thanks

A

Anonymous

This is a tough one, but for my money, I'd go with the B&W MT30. Pure beauty and poise.
MT30-550.jpg

Click for larger image

whathifi2005-100.gif

B&W MT30

"One of the best compact speaker packages", "The B&Ws' performance is a speedy, articulate and thoroughly expressive one".

hcc-award-winner-100.jpg

Nominated

"A
top-notch sub-sat system aimed directly at home cinema users, featuring
a spherical subwoofer and stylish surrounds, and offering top
performance on both movies and music".

whf-awards-2006-100.gif

Best Style Speaker Package £1500-£2000

"Impressive in every important respect (sound, looks and build, for instance), the MT-30 is well worth back-to-back Awards".

what-hifi-awards-2007-100.gif

Awards 2007

"Best
Style Speaker Package £1000-£2000", Three wins in three years tells its
own story - the MT-30 feels, looks and sounds like a sure-fire winner".

hifichoicebb.gif

Issue 152

"Excellent subwoofer; plays loud and proud in a large room".

HCC_Awards_2008_logo_100.gif

Awards 2008

"A
treat for both the ears and eyes, B&W's £1500 5.1 MT-30 system,
with its metal alloy enclosures, intelligent cable management and
robust built quality, takes sub/sat design to the next level.
Performance is outstanding. Stereo music sings, while multchannel mode
delivers a seamless, supremely entertaining soundstage. Truly a class
act."

whf-awards-08-master.gif

Best Style Speaker Package £1000-£2000

"Let
this fourth consecutive Award ease any concerns you might have about
getting your credit card out", "Curvy and stylish, all speakers look
the part", "No other package has so much as laid a glove on the MT-30
for three years".

whfsv.gif

February 2007

"Five
similarly stylish satellites integrate superbly; brilliant PV1 sub
underpins everything", "The brilliantly solid, gut-wrenching bass
underpins the astonishing dynamics and sheer weight of every thud and
bang", "more subtle scenes are delivered with an authoritative, emotive
voice that boasts detail as well as clarity, while music times well and
is engaging - the matching satellites proving their worth".

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Interesting. I really didn't like the look of these chrome bases on the MT30s. During audition, I felt that the Arcam Musos were better alround with music/movies than the MT30s...so I went with the Musos.

arcam_muso_logo_5-1_IMAGE.jpg

Arcam Muso / Logo 5.1

I've not the heard the highline 500s, but would have thought they would be they would be an improvement over the MT30s, given the reviews I've seen. I couldn't get an audition of these locally, they weren't at the Bristol Show and, given the cost, couldn't risk splashing the money without hearing them.

My advice, get an audition of the Highline's if you can find them and, ultimately, afford them.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Given the price difference between the two, I'd say it's not really a fair comparison (B&W package roughly £1,500, Tannoy package roughly £2,200). Since the Tannoys won the award in the higher price bracket and got 5 stars at that price, certainly in WHF's opinion they are better.Out of interest, what made you decide to choose between these two packages as opposed to some systems closer in price range?ÿÿ

A

Anonymous

Well, they're both the best in their own price categories, I'd make that a good reason to choose between them. I like the look of the Tannoys, I must say, and you can get the package in sooooo many different flavours, full height fronts, or wall mountable or stand mount etc etc etc. But you should listen first and then buy. If you can't then just buy the best you can afford. If What Hi-Fi give them both 5* then you won't be wasting your money whichever you go for.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Well I've been using the MT-30s for around a year now. I honestly can't think of anything more I could ask of it, I love it. I know you're gonna get people saying "You're paying for the style". "A full size speaker package will sound much better". Etc. Etc. But they're missing the point. I personally would not be able to fit an additional 7 full size speakers into my living room (I already have 'proper' speakers for my Hi-Fi set-up). And even if I could fit them, my Wife would veto it straight away. (Fair enough I say, I have a living room, I don't want it looking like a demo room at Sevenoaks).

They're discrete, yet make their presence known when the dial turns clockwise. I don't doubt the Tannoy's abilities, but again, you're looking at ever larger speakers.

Oh. And don't forget the price difference. I paid £1460 including delivery for a 7.1 set-up. Basic 5.1 was gonna be £1275 delivered. So you can get a healthy chunk off the RRP.

FWIW. If the chrome stands don't appeal, the wall mount brackets are different from the chrome stands, and have a small cover over it the same colour as the speaker. Many dealers incorrectly told me that the chrome stand swivels around for wall mounting. This is B.S.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Between these two systems the Tannoy is the better performer by a long way. They are not directly comparable though as the Highlie 500's are a good bit bigger than the B&W's which in some way helps them sound a lot better, particularly for music.

If you have the space you will not regret the Highlines. If you need something a bit smaller then the B&W's or Tannoy Arena's are great.

Nick

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Nick

How does the subwoofer work on the tannoy arean, I like the fact the B&W PV1 subwoofer is always in standby motion ready to go as soon as you turn your system on the subwoofer automatically comes on.

How does the Tannoy Areana subwoofer work?

Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gel, there is no specific arena subwoofer anymore - you can choose the TS300/TS500 from the respective Highline series or a TS10/12 from the Tannoy range. Alternatively any other subwoofer will work. All of these subwoofers offer the option to be in standby until the sense a signal just like the PV1. The correct sub for you will depend on your room and budget but the TS500 is extremely capable.

Nick

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I personally found the plain Arena to be better than the B&W MT-30, which is in the same price bracket as the MT-30.

The Highline 500 is 2 models up from the Arena, and costs considerably more, so I'd be amazed if the MT-30 could beat it.

A

Anonymous

Quite frankly, for the price of the Tannoy Arena Highline 500, I would opt for the Tannoy Revolution Signature instead. Full sized speakers and a LOT better looking too!

Have you taken a look at the Monitor Audio R90 AV12 AV System (Gloss Black)? Going for about £1000.00. A 2006 What Hi-Fi Award winner.

A

Anonymous

Hello Nick, I'd really appreciate it if you could lend me your expertise for a moment.

I am planning to use the Tannoy Arena Highline 500 as on-wall speakers in a 5.1 surround system, powered by the Pioneer SC-LX81 receiver and connected with Chord Silverscreen speaker cables. This system will be used for both movies and music.

Do you reckon this is a good setup, compatibility and performance wise? I prefer the sound to be a bit on the warm side, but not too laid back.

Any suggestions or recommendations you can give me? These will be placed in my living room, btw, so the looks of the speakers is important to me. Thx.

Cheers, Ryu

A

Anonymous

If you go for on-wall speakers, you won't be using any of the larger floorstanding designs, as these can't be wall mounted. If you go to Tannoys website, you'll find there are about 50 flavours of Highline 500. You'll need to pick the set that matches how you plan to use them.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:
Quite frankly, for the price of the Tannoy Arena Highline 500, I would opt for the Tannoy Revolution Signature instead. Full sized speakers and a LOT better looking too!

Have you taken a look at the Monitor Audio R90 AV12 AV System (Gloss Black)? Going for about £1000.00. A 2006 What Hi-Fi Award winner.

I've heard the MTs in action but only the MT20 version. Very nice. However, the R90s as suggested with the brilliant RSW12 sub (£750) on it's own, is a brilliant package. For £999, it's amazing value. I prefer the look too and they are easy to mount with the wall brackets supplied. The MT sats are notoriously fiddly to set up.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I remember you mentioning that before - about the sub-woofer. Splendid system then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts