B&W Floorstanders

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, all, has anyone made the upgrade from B&W DM603S2 to the 684 models, any feedback would be helpful as I am thinking of going down this path in the future.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have some 603s3's and have listened to the 684's a few times and liked them and would say they are a better speaker.

However you might find other floor standers more to your liking or you might not, I would suggest if you can to go and demo a few if only just to confirm the 684's are right for you especially as you are probably in a position to purchase.

You don't say what amp you are currently using which would be useful for other members to give more informed feedback.

Good luck

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, I have some 603s3's and have listened to the 684's a few times and liked them and would say they are a better speaker. However you might find other floor standers more to your liking or you might not, I would suggest if you can to go and demo a few if only just to confirm the 684's are right for you especially as you are probably in a position to purchase. You don't say what amp you are currently using which would be useful for other members to give more informed feedback. Good luck

Hi, I have a Denon 2311, currently bi-amping my existings B&WDM603S2.

One of the main reasons I am toying with the 684's is that I have the HTM62 as the centre and the 686 as the rears and I think the 684 would complement these nicely and create a nice even sound stage.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
They'd be better but it's wouldn't be worth while if you ask me, something of a sideways step. You'd be better waiting, upping the budget and making a purchase that counts, say to the CM range.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
bluedroog said:
They'd be better but it's wouldn't be worth while if you ask me, something of a sideways step. You'd be better waiting, upping the budget and making a purchase that counts, say to the CM range.

Ok, had not really thought about it like that, maybe the proposed speakers are only going to be a sidewards upgrade and not a noticable difference.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I’ve not heard them side by side for comparison but am fairly familiar with the range, it’s still the 600 just an updated version. Of course there will be improvements on the newer model but it’s not going to be night and day. You may just want something that looks a bit more up to date and if that’s your motivation then fine but I wouldn’t consider it a huge upgrade. As I said if it were me I’d either stick with what you’ve got wait till you can afford to make a purchase which is a definite upgrade, not simply an updated version of what you already have. The CM9’s for example will give you that same house sound but will be that bit more refined, the CMs are known for being very detailed speakers and should prove a hit for someone coming form the 600 series. The CM9 however are quite a bit more expensive than the 600 series, if you can live with a bit less bass the CM8 are a slimmer version, again a 3 way floor stander but the profile and footprint is less and the drive units smaller. They have many fans though and were once on my shortlist as a possible speaker upgrade.

I suppose it depends on what you’re trying to achieve, as if life unless you’ve got an unlimited budget there’s going to be a compromise, if you want speakers the same size but of higher quality you need to pay for it. You could of course go for smaller higher quality speakers, which would be closer in price. I actually think the CM8s could be a good middle ground. They retail at £1,250 but I have heard of people getting good deals on them right now for around £1k. If you went smaller you could look at the CM1’s and the CM5’s as well as others brands such as a used pair of PMC DB1is.

Also have a look at the XTZ speakers, the 99.36 floorstanders and the smaller stand mount version the 99.26s. While I’m not convinced by the XTZ electronics their speakers have a great following on various forums and by all account punch well above their weight in terms of price performance. The 99.26s were group tested and did favourably against the B&W 805S (not the newer Diamond version) in one review which speaks volumes.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi i demoed the 684 against my cm1s and baring in mind ive had many pairs of floorstanders and have always liked em the cm1 were not left wanting which is why i bought them they sounded so much more balanced

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I suppose what I am trying to achive is an upgrade sound wise and not something that looks more pleasing on the eye but fails to deliver where it counts in the sound department, but a balance can be achieved where possible.

Maybe my best bet is not to go gung ho and get a particualar speaker, but audition and compare my current speakers against other credible contenters and form an opinion to what suits me best.

Again many thanks for you informed replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts