B&W CM9 Theatre - any good?

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I am using a Yamaha RXV1800 with two MF XAS-100 power amps on the front. Current speakers are Mission 753f on the front, mission 77c for centre and Mission 77ds on the rear with REL Quake for sub.

Has anyone any thoughts on my set up with the B&W cm9? Also does anybody know if there is a good bi-polar to suit this speaker rather than the book shelve - or should i just keep my mission 77ds? (speaker wire is plumbed into the wall)

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would say, and have said before, that the CM8's are probably the most ideal replacement for the 753's. They're similar in size, tonality, and balance, and both of excellent build quality. The rear ported CM8's may require a little more room to breathe than the front ported 753's, but you will find them more open and detailed, with a little more bass extension. The CM9's have a noticably fuller bottom end than both the 753's and CM8's, and by all means go for them if you can allow them about a foot between them and the wall, although is will vary from room to room.

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks Frank, I appreciate the advice.

I think I will audition the two and see which I can live with (cost and space). I also want to use the DS3 Bi-polars instead of the CM5 bookshelf type supplied on the theatre package (they would just suit my room better), is there much difference?

Finally do you have any advice on keeping my REL Quake as sub or going the full hog and partnering with the ASW? Its an expensive Sub, but I want it to sound as best as it can.

Thanks again.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
David :)

The DS3's will be more representative of a cinema, whereas the CM5 more like a studio (diffuse vs direct). Just different.

Just sort your speakers out so you're happy with those first, then you can decide if you think the sub is pulling its weight or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts