B&W 804 D2

just1more

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Any thoughts on these speakers? A neighborhood dealer has a demo pair for $6'500. It seems as if the newer D3s are going for $9'500...Which makes the D2s a a bit more tempting on the wallet. I was hoping to stay at $7'000 or below for my main speakers. I went and listened to them today and I thought they sounded rather nice...but it's not as if I'm overly knowledgeable in the fine nuances of high end Hi Fi. My thought was to do the "B&W C9 Home cinema theatre set" for the center and rear chanels for a living room system and swap in the 804s for the fronts and for music ...As to the rest...I was thinking perhaps a 65-75 inch flat screen oled TV on the wall... but Samsung if offering some nice non-oled TVS for rather reasonable prices ...I haven't really thought much as to connecting it all with amps, tuners, DVD players, etc...I know I'd like it all to be "4k" and 3D compatable. Overall I'm just ust looking to build a complete system at the moment and thought I'd start with the speakers. Thanks in advance.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The 804 D2 are fine speaker. They have this typical "old B&W" style in the bass, that are a little bit mushy, like you have it when you put your electric guitar through a "Big Muff" effect. But it's nothing critical or frankly disturbing, it's clear enough, with lots of organic material to compose with, and the speakers are really sharp and fast when needed to give back complex signals. Generally, they are at ease with very complexe transients signals and will reproduce accurately even difficult music genres. When compaired to some Monitor audio Gold stuff and other Atohm GT2 or ProAc D30 speaker, it's a clearly superior contestant.

One of their "Flaws" whatever, is that they need current for performing their best. At best, they would need a 100 watts at 8Ohms (or better), and a 3Ohms capable amplifier due to the peaks they have around this impedance. I witnessed those speaker to work honorable with Accuphase 80 watt amplifiers too. But there was already a tiny compromise audible in the headroom.

Logically, you should be able to get them for a reasonable price. The new 804 D3 send the courses of the older D2 plummiting.

If it will be able to insert itself well in a home cinema configuration must be responded to home cinema fans of the forum. I don't have TV or anything like home cinema.

just1more

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the prompt detailed response. Sorry it's been a week on my end. I just moved apartments and have been "a bit" busy lol.

Hard call...$6'500 isn't exactly a drop in the bucket...but I think perhaps the price/quality works out enough for me to pull the trigger...I live in Switzerland & it's not as if I have a huge selection of higher end speakers to really choose from. The only thing in competition are a pair of PMC twenty 26s at $8'500 & Naim Ovator S400s for $4'800 (both of which I'll start another thread on). The D3s are even pricier than the PMCs...so unless I get a huge response as to how great the PMCs are, I'll probably go with the 804 D2s...

Thanks again.

Best,

C

TRENDING THREADS