A

Anonymous

I mean has there always been a stand out budget speaker that is far and away the market leader because of word of mouth etc even though there are other similarly good speakers.

A

Anonymous

A bit of an odd statement, but there has always appeared to be a budget component punching above it's weight through the years. It appeals to the masses, is afforded by the masses and is the first name mentioned whenever someone is looking to get into hifi.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:I mean has there always been a stand out budget speaker that is far and away the market leader because of word of mouth etc even though there are other similarly good speakers.

Yes, and for a decade or so it has always been B&W DM601.
The DM601 series have been highly popular and equally critically acclaimed by 'audio enthusiasts' (Edited for house-rules violation - Mods), though not much appreciated by 'audiophiles' per se...

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I have always found all Bowers loudspeakers to be very coloured. I would say the old 601 and the newer 600 series are far from being the transit equivalent. What about the Spendor BC1 or Mission 700? Even the BBC LS3/5a was inexpensive back in 1974.

A

Anonymous

But before the age of the internet and forums I guess the situation would have been more evenly distributed but with the focus being on a selection of brands like AE, Tannoy, KEF etc?ÿ

A

Anonymous

gpi:Sir, you have your tentacles on the pulse.

I have my tentacles where now?ÿ

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:
gpi:Sir, you have your tentacles on the pulse.

I have my tentacles where now?ÿ

You have enough to bi-wire... hire yourself out.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
colored? reviews say they are very neutral...personally i didnt find the 601 sound anything special,but then it wasn't unpleasant.just would like to know how they compare with each other

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
gpi:I have always found all Bowers loudspeakers to be very coloured. I would say the old 601 and the newer 600 series are far from being the transit equivalent. What about the Spendor BC1 or Mission 700? Even the BBC LS3/5a was inexpensive back in 1974.

The LS3/5 was one the most boring pair of speakers I ever heard! Sorry if I upset the classic fan but unless you are seriously addicted to BBC 4's Archer or talking CD I couldn't see what's the fuss about!

Was I expecting too much, I think I should... afterall they are fetching 5 times the money they were originally sold for!

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
ear:colored? reviews say they are very neutral...personally i didnt find the 601 sound anything special,but then it wasn't unpleasant.just would like to know how they compare with each other

Well, if the 685 isn't at least an improvement over the 601, B&W will be disappointed.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:
gpi:I have always found all Bowers loudspeakers to be very coloured. I would say the old 601 and the newer 600 series are far from being the transit equivalent. What about the Spendor BC1 or Mission 700? Even the BBC LS3/5a was inexpensive back in 1974.

The LS3/5 was one the most boring pair of speakers I ever heard! Sorry if I upset the classic fan but unless you are seriously addicted to BBC 4's Archer or talking CD I couldn't see what's the fuss about!

Was I expecting too much, I think I should... afterall they are fetching 5 times the money they were originally sold for!

Maybe not everyone listens to loud rock music through them. I think you are subliminally associating the BBC name with The Archers, etc., which clouded your judgement. Goodnight all.

A

Anonymous

The Mission 780's should have been the 'backbone', not the 685's.

Man, they were great speakers, unbelievable midrange, if only I'd bought them at the time when they were still available.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
tounra:Octopo:I mean has there always been a stand out budget speaker that is far and away the market leader because of word of mouth etc even though there are other similarly good speakers.

Yes, and for a decade or so it has always been B&W DM601.
The DM601 series have been highly popular and equally critically acclaimed by 'audio enthusiasts' (Edited for house-rules violation - Mods), though not much appreciated by 'audiophiles' per se...

I wasn't aware I wasn't allowed to mention a popular consumer(audio)review site...my apologies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts