B&W 685 with Onkyo 701E

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I have purchased this speakers recently based on the good reviews and I have a little problem. From the beggining I have found them a little bit "dark" and I had to set up the treble to the max. This happens specially when I listen to punk, hard-rock or alternative music with a lot of distortion, in that case it almost feels as if the speakers were behid a thick curtain. When I play pop, jazz or reagge it is OK though and the sound is clear.

Could this be a problem with the speaker or, is this more a compatibility problem either with the type of music or the receiver? I was expecting these speakers to be very clear and bright and certainly was not expecting to have to set up the treble to the maximum when my older speakers (Wharfedale diamond 9.1.) did no need it. Many thanks, Pablo.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Daft-Q time... the 685s are bi-wireable - are the links in place between the two sets of terminals?

I have heard the 685s, and whilst not overly-bright, were certainly not the sort of speakers I would class as dull...

Did you buy them from a dealer, or online?

If a dealer, give them a call and see what they suggest - even to the point of taking the kit to them to see what they think...

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, the links are OK. If I finally conclude that the sound is not normall I will probably have to contact the dealer. However, I was hoping to avoid this because he is in Barcelona and I am in the other corner of Spain. Therefore I need to be very sure that there is something wrong with them before I decide to return them.

Many thanks, Pablo.

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Just in case someone may have the same problem, I found a way to improve a little bit. The problem with this speaker to me is that they are too loose in the low frequencies focusing only on the lowest end of the spectrum. I have changed the settings of my AV receiver by activating the subwoofer (I do not have it) and setting the crossover to 80 Hz. The system sends the lower frequencies to the subwoofer (which does not exist) and only up to 80Hz to the speaker forcing the speaker to focus in this range. The result is a more impacting and focused bass much more enthusiastic than the loose sub-sonic bass effect down at 48 Hz.

A

Anonymous

I have the B&W 685's with the Naim's Nait 5i and the speakers perform admirably! in all the styles i've thrown at it, from Linkin Park to Elgar! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts