Awesome Audiophile Tweaks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Vladimir said:
If you had PA plywood boxes maybe, but a B&W Dalex is a very dead box. My bet is on reflections.

Warning: I'm using common sense!

No.

You could clearly feel the vibrations on bass drivers, very obvious in some cases. Shorting out the speaker terminals reduced this effect considerably, but clearing the room of other speakers was much more effective.

We would always do our demonstrations with speakers that were ridgidly mounted, stands were very important and also made a big difference in terms of resolution. Again, I am trying not to overdo this, but I have not heard modern budget and mid-fi systems with anything like the resolution that we routinely abtained with good system selection and setup, even with quite modest equipment.

Ah. The large cone drivers resonated. I didn't think of those.

At one time I had some big store brand towers (4 x 10" woofers) together with a pair of AR-11B monkey coffins (2 x 11") and I've must have had some resonance issues from the towers. But there were so many issues with the room modes and old hinged wallnut credenzas and closets rattling, I never even noticed the towers doing anything.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I know a lot of people approach hi-fi very differently but my retail experience was at a time when the idea was that you sold your products and systems by demonstration.

Despite what some revisionists will have you believe, the vast bulk of the customers that we, and many dealers like us, saw were not devotees of some branding 'cult', but regular music lovers who were drawn in to the concept that they did not need to know anything about 'hi-fi', all they had to do was listen to the music, explain what they did and did not like and the dealer would take care of pretty much everything else.

With a system that was well chosen and set-up, the reaction of the customers was simple, even quite budget systems played the music with a clarity and 'togetherness' that required no deep analysis, it just sounded 'right' and rather better than anything they will have heard either at home or in main stream dealers. The fact that the chosen system would be delivered, properly installed in your home and produce something very close indeed to what was heard in the dem room was a big plus.

Another thing, systems set up in this way seem to be less affected by different rooms, the qualities of the system seemed to be present in all but the most difficult of rooms.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
I know a lot of people approach hi-fi very differently but my retail experience was at a time when the idea was that you sold your products and systems by demonstration.

Despite what some revisionists will have you believe, the vast bulk of the customers that we, and many dealers like us, saw were not devotees of some branding 'cult', but regular music lovers who were drawn in to the concept that they did not need to know anything about 'hi-fi', all they had to do was listen to the music, explain what they did and did not like and the dealer would take care of pretty much everything else.

With a system that was well chosen and set-up, the reaction of the customers was simple, even quite budget systems played the music with a clarity and 'togetherness' that required no deep analysis, it just sounded 'right' and rather better than anything they will have heard either at home or in main stream dealers. The fact that the chosen system would be delivered, properly installed in your home and produce something very close indeed to what was heard in the dem room was a big plus.

Another thing, systems set up in this way seem to be less affected by different rooms, the qualities of the system seemed to be present in all but the most difficult of rooms.

I think men just used you to bypass their spouses.

"Honey, we talked about this. The expert said these have to sit in the middle of the living room. No discussion about it."

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:

I bet you never needed test tone discs or other such nonsense either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts