RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I always preach to use the least processing options available. Pure Direct or Straight where 'possible'. I have never found any source to be improved (changed for the better) by using any of the DSP options. Is this experience common?

There are dozens of settings beyond the basic Inc., roomsize, reverberations etc etc. Does anybody adjust these to advantage and is there any guidance to be able to adjust them to advantage?

Just chillin before F1 excitement (or snooze).

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Minimal BB? That in itself is interesting since I would describe many of my DSP settings as ....

Wait for it ....

You guessed it .....

Knight and Duy (Slight Bham accent)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
In principle I'd agree with you, but at times in practice, some processing has helped.

I have a Radiohead Bluray that improves its punchiness and timing when I use the "Rock" setting. And I've found with some movies that have a lazier softer soundtrack that using "Optimum" again gives it a bit more dynamism. Some movie soundtracks have punchy effects that are SO much louder than other dialogue-heavy scenes that to avoid constantly adjusting the volume, the Optimum setting gives a boost to the quieter bits. After all, most of us don't listen at Cinema Reference levels. I have neighbours after all (and I'd like them to continue to be my neighbours!).

For two-channel sources I hop between Pure Direct, Direct and Extended Stereo quite a bit. My preference varies according to the source material. To my knowledge Extended Stereo adds very little processing (in terms of trying to mimic a particular room or hall's acoustics), but simply invokes all available speakers. So back left mimics front left, same with the right hand side, and a smidgen of left and right appears in the centre. It works very well, providing I alter the balance towards the front speakers. (As my listening position is much closer to my rear speakers, so I need to alter the fader with 75% towards the front). It certainly doesn't sound "processed", which some of the other settings (like Drama, Action or Sports) can do. And with some music it adds a really lovely ambience, so its nice having the option.

I also use Extended Stereo if I'm entertaining. It gives a wider overall sound in the room, rather than one person being overwhelmed with music and others straining to hear.

So in answer to your question, yes I do use some of these settings successfully, but sparingly and usually as a response to the source material's own characteristics.

abacus

Unless your room has been professional treated, then if you use pure direct or direct, you will not be getting anywhere near the sound that is heard in the studio, so in most cases those modes are a waste of space. (Except for AB testing)

The setup DSP will help to compensate for problems in your room (As always there are limits) thus giving a sound that is closer to what the recording engineer hears.

The main problem is that most people have never been in a studio, so don’t know what the music is supposed to sound like. (If they did then unless the room was treated, they wouldn’t even think about using pure direct or direct mode)

NOTE: exactly the same applies to stereo amplifiers and speaker systems, as while people think it sounds better, the sound produced is not accurate at all.

As to the other supplementary DSP effects, then it is purely personal preference.

Hope this helps

Bill

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is something about how stereo products sound compared to av so to rule them all out is misguided advice

You would have to "Treat" the room to get it perfect and Christ it would be all panels no wall. I would have that most people wouldn't.

I think some dsp on bass yes the rest least as possible / none unless things are particularly bad. I personally think least as possible for bass dsp as well. The more you add the more the sound seems to get thinned out to me

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Robin,

I tried all the Onkyo's settings but I prefer Pure mode as it even switches of the display with muisic. My Pansonic hard drive even lets me copy cds to it as it has Gracenote built in. I recorded Lionel Richie & The Who at Glastonbury and they sounded fabulous for a home cinema amp. However, if I recorded films on ITVHD or C4HD then I use Dolby Cinema but the BBC HD channels sometimes are multichannel programmes. I love F1, MotoGP, Isle of Man, Le Mans and the Tour de France (watching Alpe d'Huez now)!

Hope it helps.

Best wishes

Chris

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Impossible to not understand all these opinions thanks. I usually find these modes 'thin' the sound and find constant changing tedious and agree that using all speakers may spread the sound for larger audiences. Volume - another consideration. Interesting.

"All but minor/modest dsp is rarely useful" - A reasonable summary so far?

abacus

If any of you ever get the chance to visit a studio at some time, then take up the offer as it will open your eyes. (Just be aware that it will shake a lot of your beliefs to their very foundations)

In the mean time, if you enjoy your music with a particular setting, then use it, and dont worry about anything else. (There are normally 2 types of Hi Fi Nuts, those that are constantly tweaking and are never happy, and those that find a setup they like (Usually after demoing in a store) and just enjoy the music)

Enjoy whatever you enjoy

Bill

TRENDING THREADS