AVR Lifespan

praggers

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
My Denon AVR 2808, which is less than 5 years old, is starting to play up. The sound from the right main speaker cuts out now and then.

I've checked all the wiring etc, and even reset the microprocessor to no avail.

For a $2000 amp (I live in Oz) is 5 years a good lifespan?

It doesn't seem good value to me. Or is it?

Your thoughts please!

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey Praggers,

Firstly, there definitely isn't any wires touching on the right channel?

I think more than anything, it's just a case of being unfortunate. Typically, I would expect an amp of that calibre to be pretty bulletproof, but I've seen my fair share of product pack it in before its time. I think it's just luck really. I'm hoping I hold onto my AVR4520 for many more years.

Out of interest, was that made in China or Japan?

praggers

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tarxman

thanks for your reply.

It was made in Japan.

I have checked the wires and all is ok.

After resetting the microprocessor it worked fine for 2-3 weeks, then started to cut out again. Not a good sign?

I think I'll stick with Denon though, second time lucky!?

praggers

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
praggers said:
Hi Tarxman

thanks for your reply.

It was made in Japan.

After resetting the microprocessor it worked fine for 2-3 weeks, then started to cut out again. Not a good sign?

praggers

Wow, that's really surprising. Wouldn't have expected that of a Japanese made unit. Might be worthwhile getting it looked at, Qualifi are now the Australian distributor. Though there have been significant advances in HDMI technology since that unit was released, in fact that is what spurred me to replace my old AVR, plus multi zoning has gotten hugely improved.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
praggers said:
Hi Tarxman

thanks for your reply.

It was made in Japan.

praggers

Wow, that's really surprising. Wouldn't have expected that of a Japanese made unit. Might be worthwhile getting it looked at, Qualifi are now the Australian distributor. Though there have been significant advances in HDMI technology since that unit was released, in fact that is what spurred me to replace my old AVR, plus multi zoning has gotten hugely improved.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts