AVR for Monitor Audio RX6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some firsthand advice on and AVR to match the Monitor Audio RX6. The RX6 hasn't arrived at my local Hi-Fi store yet, so i haven't been able to demo them. But being a fan of the RS6, I'm sure i wont be dissapointed. AVR's i have been considering are,

Marantz SR 6004. Denon 2310, 3310. Cambridge Audio Azur 650r and Nad T765 HD

Thanks.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plusONE:
Hi,

I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some firsthand advice on and AVR to match the Monitor Audio RX6. The RX6 hasn't arrived at my local Hi-Fi store yet, so i haven't been able to demo them. But being a fan of the RS6, I'm sure i wont be dissapointed. AVR's i have been considering are,

Thanks.

I think the CA receiver is out of it's depth here. I think i'm one of the only owners of a Sony STRDA3400es on this forum. I have The RS6 av package, apart from the rears and it sounds brilliant.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The RX6 is a very capable speaker, so I'd point you in the direction of AV amps around the £1,000 mark - something like the Yamaha RXV2065 or RXV3900, Pioneer VSXLX52, Onkyo TXNR1007 and the Denon AVR3310. If you're going to be using your speakers for music, they're not going to sound like a £750 speaker if they're not matched to the right amp.

plusONE:

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi plusONE

You should also consider Yamaha's new RX-V1065 @ RRP £750 and the RX-V2065 @ RRP £1100. The RX-V1065 and RX-V2065 are the replacement models for the already superb DSP-AX863SE and RX-V1900.

We have had most of the new Monitor Audio Silver RX speakers in for a while now and i have used the RX-V1065 with the Siver RX6's and it worked a treat.

Ime, Yamaha AV amps/receivers + Monitor Audio speakers = great match (time after time)
emotion-1.gif

We've just had the new RX-V2065 in and my initial impressions are that it is already an improvement over the RX-V1900.
emotion-2.gif
I'll try the RX-V2065 with the RX6's and report back later (if it is alright).

Btw, if are are also considering an av amp/receiver at the £1.5k £2k level than you may want to look at Yamaha's DSP-Z7. I have been saying it for quite a while now that i consider the DSP-Z7 to currently be the finest VFM AV amp on the market irrespective of price (even at an RRP of £1960). I have also briefly used the DSP-Z7 with the RX6's and it was superb.

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-DSP-Z7/

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
To add to me earlier post, if you're considering the NAD 765HD, you should also try the Yamaha DSPZ7, which is currently around the £1500 mark. Even at it's normal price of £1950, it's pretty much the best AV amp around. Absolute bargain.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice guys. Wow looks like i really missed the boat with my considerations. Are none of these recievers worth considering over the Yamaha's? The DSP-Z7 is a tad over budget. It does get ripping reviews.Though i thought receivers of this magnitude would be over kill for the MA RX6.

Oh and i forgot to mention I plan build a 5.1 bi-wiring the fronts, or 7.1 MA RX6 AV. But i am hoping i can still get fairly decent stereo sound from an AVR, Planning to use it for 70 - 30 movies to music.

plusONE:

Thanks for the advice guys. Wow looks like i really missed the boat with my considerations. Are none of these recievers worth considering over the Yamaha's? The DSP-Z7 is a tad over budget. It does get ripping reviews.Though i thought receivers of this magnitude would be over kill for the MA RX6.

Oh and i forgot to mention I plan build a 5.1 bi-wiring the fronts, or 7.1 MA RX6 AV. But i am hoping i can still get fairly decent stereo sound from an AVR, Planning to use it for 70 - 30 movies to music.

Hi plusONE

Ime Monitor Audio speakers work superbly well with Yamaha AVamps/receivers and besides which the RX-V1065, RX-V2065 and the DSP-Z7 are excellent products in their own right.

If the DSP-Z7 (the RX6's would still work well with it) is over budget than consider the new RX-V2065 or (to get as close to the DSP-Z7) also the RX-V3900.

The RX-V1065 would work well with the RX6 AV package but i think that ideally you should look at the RX-V2065.

Btw, i would not bother with bi-wiring and intstead spend similar money on a conventional cable. Bi-amping the RX6's (which is what i think you meant) should make a worthwhile difference (in 5.1 only though).

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the advice on the Yamaha, I've done some calling around and everyone is recommend them. Seems like the Z7 is the top pick, but over budget. I had a look on the yamaha website, i cant seem to find and much difference with the Z7 and V3900 to warrent the premium price of the Z7.

Only the Z7 is 4 zones, has extra video adjustment functions and memory. and Stable chassis design with cross-shaped frames and double-box construction.

Appart for that, they seem like they almost identical. Almost the same weight even. Assuming they also share the same power supply. I suspect the ZY is the V3900 with a few bells and whistles in the Z box.

How do they differ sonically? Both are 140w 7ch.

Seems like the obvious choice is to save a few bux and grab the V3900 at a run out price
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi PlusOne

I've been following your thread with interest as the Monitor Audio RX6 system has been right up there on my shortlist. I've now taken the plunge and gone for it, together with the Yamaha DSP-Z7. In my mind it made sense to avoid compromises with a system I plan to get enjoyment out of for many years.

I had considered the DSP-Z7 to be way over my budget until I considered the savings of (inevitably!) opting for an upgrade a year or two down the line if I didn't get the best system now. And you'd be surprised the deals you may be able to get if you're shopping for speakers and an AV receiver together. I got mine from Musicraft in the end - it's worth ringing up stores that have both sets of kit you're after and seeing if they can sort out a mutually agreeable deal.

Good luck with the quest - and consider joining the DSP-Z7 revolution!

A

Anonymous

Hey muchy,

I totally agree with you about avoiding compromises. I just can't seem to see why the DSP-Z7 is so much more than the RX-V3900. Like i said previously, on paper its almost identical. Weighing in only 1kg more, i suspect thats the enclosure and not the internal electronics. I'll have to hear it for myself to believe it. it would be good to hear what dealers think about this.

Great to hear you decided on the RX6. You forgot to mention how the kit sounds! Just out of curiousity, what else were you considering?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hey PlusOne

The extra price all goes on what's under the lid. The DSP-Z7 is a (slightly) stripped down version of Yamaha's flagship model, the DSP-Z11. It uses the same components and technology, but takes away a few of the bells and whistles (THX certification and up to 11 channel output for example). At its heart it's a high-end receiver at a high mid-range price, and my research suggests that the Z-range Yamahas (i.e. their premium products) have always been crackers.

Besides you may find that if you get in touch with dealers who carry both Yamaha and Monitor Audio equipment, you may be able to strike a deal that brings something like the DSP-Z7 down to within your budget if you're getting the speakers from them too - it's what I did.

As for the sound, I did audition the Dali Ikon 5.1 and was very impressed. No AV store near me has the RX6s on demo yet, but ringing those that have both the RXs and the Dalis have been unanimous in praising the RXs over the excellent Dalis. So in the end I went on a whim (yet again!), but I can't imagine being disappointed with what is supposed to be an excellent and well-matched package.

Good luck - I'll be interested to see your final choice.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Z7 uses "stable chassis design", which derives from that used in the Z11. 5 HDMI inputs rather than 4. The Z7 will downscale to 480p, if needed. There's 6 separate presets for different inputs for video preferences, with adjustments for Mosquito Noise Reduction, Block Noise Reduction, Detail Enhancement, Edge Enhancement, and Brightness/Contrast/Saturation. Anchor Bay VRS viedo processing. 4 Zones. Assignable component output for Zone 2 or 4. Optical output for Zone 4. Mono setting for Zone 2 and 3.

Due to the power supply which shares many similarities to that in the Z11, it can drive speakers better in a more stable fashion than the 3900 can, especially at 4 ohms. The Z7 is one of the best value for money AV amps out there at the moment, and at the prices it can be had for at the moment, it's an absolute steal.

plusONE:

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the advice on the Yamaha, I've done some calling around and everyone is recommend them. Seems like the Z7 is the top pick, but over budget. I had a look on the yamaha website, i cant seem to find and much difference with the Z7 and V3900 to warrent the premium price of the Z7.

Only the Z7 is 4 zones, has extra video adjustment functions and memory. and Stable chassis design with cross-shaped frames and double-box construction.

Appart for that, they seem like they almost identical. Almost the same weight even. Assuming they also share the same power supply. I suspect the ZY is the V3900 with a few bells and whistles in the Z box.

How do they differ sonically? Both are 140w 7ch.

Seems like the obvious choice is to save a few bux and grab the V3900 at a run out price
emotion-40.gif

Hi plusONE

Thanks for your post.

I have been tied up with others matters so i am sorry not not having replied earlier on.

There is not a big difference in specification between the RX-V3900 and the DSP-Z7. However the DSP-Z7's styling (similar to the DSP-Z11's) which i prefer, the build quality and the performance are all better.

I too was keen to hear if there was a performance advantage and to what extent it was between the RX-V3900 and the DSP-Z7. So the easiest way to test this was to firstly connect the RX-V3900 and than the DSP-Z7 to a pair of some (very tasty and expensive) ATC Active Studio Control Monitors and an ATC Active Sub. This was done to show up the pre amp/processing potential of both units.

Secondly the RX-V3900 and than the DSP-Z7 were connected to ATC passive monitors to test the power delivery of both units.

In both cases the DSP-Z7 won hands down. The RX-V3900's performance was/is superb (just like it's predecessor the RX-V3800) however the DSP-Z7 is fuller, even more detailed, less distorted, has better separation, better soundfield placement, is more potent, offers better grip and offers an even tighter and deeper bass response.

After a week of testing the DSP-Z7 was than connected permanently for nearly two months solid to SCM19's (front), C3 (cente), SCM7 (rears) and C2 (sub) and it worked just fine!
emotion-1.gif
emotion-5.gif
If the DSP-Z7 can happily get on with the ATC's without missing a beat than it will also happily get with the Silver RX speakers and help bring the finest out of them.

There is a £500 difference at retail price (£1.5k and £2k) however imo (and the majority of my customers opinion) it is worth the premium to get a foot on Yamaha's Z series ladder (especially if this likely to be a one off purchase for some time). I have been saying it for quite a while now that i consider the DSP-Z7 to currently be the finest VFM AV amp on the market irrespective of price (even at an RRP of £1960).
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

muchy:

Hi PlusOne

I've been following your thread with interest as the Monitor Audio RX6 system has been right up there on my shortlist. I've now taken the plunge and gone for it, together with the Yamaha DSP-Z7. In my mind it made sense to avoid compromises with a system I plan to get enjoyment out of for many years.

I had considered the DSP-Z7 to be way over my budget until I considered the savings of (inevitably!) opting for an upgrade a year or two down the line if I didn't get the best system now. And you'd be surprised the deals you may be able to get if you're shopping for speakers and an AV receiver together. I got mine from Musicraft in the end - it's worth ringing up stores that have both sets of kit you're after and seeing if they can sort out a mutually agreeable deal.

Good luck with the quest - and consider joining the DSP-Z7 revolution!
emotion-1.gif

Hi muchy

Thanks again for your support.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

I have seen the rest of the thread and yes if you have the cash the Z7 would be worthwhile. But that is not where you started is it?

So if you do not have the budget then I recommend a listen to the RX6 AV combination with the Denon 3310 which I am also bi-amping. I did a listen off between this and the pioneer 52 and the denon was just more to my taste.

My recommendation is that yes the MA range are good, go and listen to it paired up with the amps you are investing in. £1500 is no small change and you may find that you get the sound that you want from an amp that is not in the £1500+ range. Listen, listen, listen and do not be blinded by shiny specification sheets.

A

Anonymous

Hi PlusOne

How is your quest? Have you had a chance to listen to any of the combinations? If you decide to go for the Z7 it'd be worth giving Rick at Musicraft a bell - he was able to give me a great deal on the speaker-AV receiver package.

I'm intrigued to see how the Monitor Audios and various AV recivers have faired in the Awards, but of course with the postal strike - the posties been already, but no mag! I guess we'll see next week...

muchy:

Hi PlusOne

How is your quest? Have you had a chance to listen to any of the combinations? If you decide to go for the Z7 it'd be worth giving Rick at Musicraft a bell - he was able to give me a great deal on the speaker-AV receiver package.

I'm intrigued to see how the Monitor Audios and various AV recivers have faired in the Awards, but of course with the postal strike - the posties been already, but no mag! I guess we'll see next week...

Hi muchy

Thanks for your kind words and for your support.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

What about the Marantz SR6003/4? If the 1065 suffice to drive the MA shouldn't the Marantz suffice as well and in fact surprass some of the Yamaha models with music? Any views on the Marantz?

EarsEarsEars

Feb 18, 2009
Visit site
I think the CA receiver is out of it's depth here. I think i'm one of
the only owners of a Sony STRDA3400es on this forum. I have The RS6 av
package, apart from the rears and it sounds brilliant.

Can I just ask why this is so? As far as I know it's not out yet, is it? Are you going off the Cambridge Audio Spec sheet?

Ta.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EarsEarsEars:
I think the CA receiver is out of it's depth here. I think i'm one of
the only owners of a Sony STRDA3400es on this forum. I have The RS6 av
package, apart from the rears and it sounds brilliant.

Can I just ask why this is so? As far as I know it's not out yet, is it? Are you going off the Cambridge Audio Spec sheet?

Ta.

Fair comment, I misread the OP. I thought he already had a Cambridge receiver and to date, I don't think that they have produced one worthy of the package he intends using.

A

Anonymous

I am currently looking round for the best deal for some RX6's and i was gonna go all out and get the full AV package but after reading this thread am i better off using the money just to get the RX6 floorstanders and the Yamaha Z7 for say around £2000 rather than spening it on the full RX AV package & a Denon 2310 for £2400 which i have been quoted already?

Please advise

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
andytucker:
I am currently looking round for the best deal for some RX6's and i was gonna go all out and get the full AV package but after reading this thread am i better off using the money just to get the RX6 floorstanders and the Yamaha Z7 for say around £2000 rather than spening it on the full RX AV package & a Denon 2310 for £2400 which i have been quoted already?

Please advise

The RXav package and the Denon will sound amazing.

A

Anonymous

I think it depends on how soon you will have more cash to add the remaining speakers for a full 5.1 setup. If you do go down the Yamaha Z7/RX6 route I would suggest you go the whole hog and get the Z7 and RX8s

andytucker:

Please advise

Hi andytucker

If you are prepared to proceed in stages than initially i would suggest that you consider the Yamaha DSP-Z7 and Monitor Audio's Silver RX6 speakers. Listening to movies (in particular) in stereo will still be more than good enough. Add the other speakers as and when you are ready. I have said it for quite a while now that i consider the DSP-Z7 to be the finest VFM AV amp currently on the market irrespective of price (even at an RRP of £1960).
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Have you considered looking for a dealer who still has the some of the RS range left? They are the speaker that the RX series replaces, and at the discount prices, you could possibly get the Z7 and a full of RS6 AV set for about £2600. I saw a post yesterday (on another forum) from an authorised dealer who still has some full sets in cherry left. You could definitely get them within your budget if you went for the Yamaha 3900 instead of the Z7.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts