ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Decent review in the latest edition of hifi choice

it the reviews and posts by satisfied customers that carry the most weight for me.

I'd buy DM10s without auditioning if I lived in the UK.

The "Ashleyisms" (I think someone referred to them as) tend me make me roll my eyes and tune out, but the passion the product engenders in the purchasers/cult members to me manages to both feel confident about the product and induce some eye rolling at the same time, without any cognitive dissonance.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ID. said:
drummerman said:
Decent review in the latest edition of hifi choice

it the reviews and posts by satisfied customers that carry the most weight for me. 

I'd buy DM10s without auditioning if I lived in the UK. 

The "Ashleyisms" (I think someone referred to them as) tend me make me roll my eyes and tune out, but the passion the product engenders in the purchasers/cult members to me manages to both feel confident about the product and induce some eye rolling at the same time, without any cognitive dissonance. 

I hear you. My post wasn't in any way political :)

Simply that they got a good review.

AVI products are rarely featured in popular hifi mags so probably worth mentioning for anyone interested in these.

matthewpiano said:
I still think I need to hear some AVIs.
I feel the same, Matthew! Ironically, we used to live less than twenty minutes drive away!

As for reviews, Andrew Everard also reviewed them in the July 2016 Gramophone mag. Seemed fairly sensible to me, in that he mentioned they are a bit lightweight when used on stands in a room, as opposed to on a desk as 'near field'. More logical than the inference they beat anything up to double the price, or whatever the hyperbole was. Not a suprise, as they cost roughly what a Marantz 600x amp plus decent 'bookshelf' speakers typically do.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
matthewpiano said:
I still think I need to hear some AVIs.
I feel the same, Matthew! Ironically, we used to live less than twenty minutes drive away!

As for reviews, Andrew Everard also reviewed them in the July 2016 Gramophone mag. Seemed fairly sensible to me, in that he mentioned they are a bit lightweight when used on stands in a room, as opposed to on a desk as 'near field'. More logical than the inference they beat anything up to double the price, or whatever the hyperbole was. Not a suprise, as they cost roughly what a Marantz 600x amp plus decent 'bookshelf' speakers typically do.

The hyperbole was that they beat any passive speaker. Of course it's totally ridiculous.

I cannot take any company seriously that claims such things for its products.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
of the subject matter. But the fact remains for a relatively small sum they are fantastic performers. Very few people that have heard them would disagree and I'm sure if the magazine reviewers felt they were able to, they'd rip the p*ss out of them just to make a point.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought a used pair of the last version of the 9 AVI ADM9RS for my mum @£800 I think they were £1299 new. For the price bought new you would have a job matching ther SQ given the spec including a DAC,

Were they the best sounding system I heard? No, lacked bass definition control for me, but you would would have to spend alot more with traditional brands to get a simular sound. Factor in you already own an amp, a pair of speakers, DAC etc plus you enjoy building a sytem and improving it over time when budget allows , they are not for everbody. Simple.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
I bought a used pair of the last version of the 9 AVI ADM9RS for my mum @£800 I think they were £1299 new. For the price bought new you would have a job matching ther SQ given the spec including a DAC,

Were they the best sounding system I heard? No, lacked bass definition control for me, but you would would have to spend alot more with traditional brands to get a simular sound. Factor in you already own an amp, a pair of speakers, DAC etc plus you enjoy building a sytem and improving it over time when budget allows , they are not for everbody. Simple.

Any thoughts Colin? :) :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Took a while to work out the question! Not heard the 10's yet. Depends given the Abrahamsen is £899 though they had a price increase of about £100 recently so will be £999, what £500 speakers will perform on the end of one to the AVI level? Factor in a DAC?

As I said not everybody wants to throw, sell there entire system away, I for one would not buy a pair I enjoy putting a sytem together and adding new better components. For somebody that pops into Richer Sounds and walks away with somthing that plays music for £1500 they would definatly be a better option, but then he or she has never even heard of AVI!

I dont get the hostility its pretty stupid.

shadders said:
luckylion100 said:
of the subject matter. But the fact remains for a relatively small sum they are fantastic performers. Very few people that have heard them would disagree and I'm sure if the magazine reviewers felt they were able to, they'd rip the p*ss out of them just to make a point.
Hi,

So, you have been indoctrinated into the AVI Cult. What did you have to do to be a member?

Was it blindfolded,  one trouser leg rolled up and placed in a bucket of cold custard,  wearing a tank top, and a carrot up yer bum, saluting, whilst singing God Save The Queen.

Regards,

Shadders.
I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

shadders

bigboss said:
shadders said:
luckylion100 said:
Hi,

So, you have been indoctrinated into the AVI Cult. What did you have to do to be a member?

Was it blindfolded, one trouser leg rolled up and placed in a bucket of cold custard, wearing a tank top, and a carrot up yer bum, saluting, whilst singing God Save The Queen.

Regards,

Shadders.
I'm sorry but this doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Hi,

It is not meant to.

Regards,

Shadders.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
I'm sure if the magazine reviewers felt they were able to, they'd rip the p*ss out of them just to make a point

Perhaps they're just scared that if they did, they wouldn't be invited to the next globally-streamed launch event, let alone get a sniff of the next review pair.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Only **** though ;-)

No, they're doing alright in the review where it matters. There are a few comparisons to large speakers/systems which may be a bit missing the point, thats all.

Its a minute speaker that will fit into any setting and it looks very well made indeed.

The only 'problem' is that a versatile DAC/Pre-amp will cost another £300 to £500 and a sub, if needed, another £200 to £500. This then puts it into a different class of equipment. Some may only need one input though.

Mind, consider that a pair of LS35A's (or a multitude of other small passive speakers) can set you back a grand or more and you then have to add amplification etc. and it all becomes less clear cut.

Personally, I love the simple but classy look of those. Especially in the light colour featured.

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Well ive had mine for a month now and honestly there's no going back to passiveness ever.

These little speakers are totally amazing it took me a few weeks to aclimatise myself to them but im not joking for 30+ years ive been fannying around trying to find the ultimate hifi (although ive enjoyed doing it BUT at a costly price)

No more clutter i.e Amp,Dac,Cd player or whatever source used.

Im using a AE Express as the Dac Wirelessness Macbook Pro OH and thats it.

Massive Grin finally im acctually listening to the music and not analizing it to see if theres an improvment required lol

Thumbs up

P.s No Ashley Didnt put me up to this did you Master. wink......

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The Mad One said:
Well ive had mine for a month now and honestly there's no going back to passiveness ever.

These little speakers are totally amazing it took me a few weeks to aclimatise myself to them but im not joking for 30+ years ive been fannying around trying to find the ultimate hifi (although ive enjoyed doing it BUT at a costly price)

Massive Grin finally im acctually listening to the music and not analizing it to see if theres an improvment required lol

Thumbs up

Reads good.

What did you have before and what size room do you use them in?

shadders

The Mad One said:

Thumbs up

Hi,

If you took a few weeks to acclimatise to them, does this not suggest that your subjective view of them has changed?

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders

luckylion100 said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
of hearing the DM5's. I took a punt with the DM10's after much deliberation (see my thread elsewhere, sadly it descended into the normal pro/anti AVI nonsense).

But if the DM5's are anything like their big brothers I think they would pleasantly surprise most of the knockers on here, even though they'd probably not want to admit it.

Just to be clear, I'm not joining any gang, I'm very much my own man. But the fact remains the DM10's (in my case) are a revelation, easily out doing my previous set up. I do not regret letting my PMC Twenty 23's go and they were speakers I envisaged keeping for the duration of their 20 year guarantee. The anti AVI/Ashley sentiments expressed on this forum are nothing to do with me, they're from before my time and I'm playing catch up. My praise of these speakers is foremost based on the sound quality and improvement I've experienced. The VFM, the convenience and absence of dust gathering black boxes a further bonus. I clearly stated my reasons for going active and active doesn't just mean AVI, I could have easily gone to another brand. But I'm happy with my choice and sometimes I question the doubters, those intent in continually slagging anyone off that dares to suggest they're happy with an active based system. Why, jealously?

For me it's about enjoying the music and I've never enjoyed it as much. Seemingly this is now something of a meaningless statement for many on here, maybe those people need to reconnect...

shadders

luckylion100 said:
of hearing the DM5's. I took a punt with the DM10's after much deliberation (see my thread elsewhere, sadly it descended into the normal pro/anti AVI nonsense).

But if the DM5's are anything like their big brothers I think they would pleasantly surprise most of the knockers on here, even though they'd probably not want to admit it.

Just to be clear, I'm not joining any gang, I'm very much my own man. But the fact remains the DM10's (in my case) are a revelation, easily out doing my previous set up. I do not regret letting my PMC Twenty 23's go and they were speakers I envisaged keeping for the duration of their 20 year guarantee. The anti AVI/Ashley sentiments expressed on this forum are nothing to do with me, they're from before my time and I'm playing catch up. My praise of these speakers is foremost based on the sound quality and improvement I've experienced. The VFM, the convenience and absence of dust gathering black boxes a further bonus. I clearly stated my reasons for going active and active doesn't just mean AVI, I could have easily gone to another brand. But I'm happy with my choice and sometimes I question the doubters, those intent in continually slagging anyone off that dares to suggest they're happy with an active based system. Why, jealously?

For me it's about enjoying the music and I've never enjoyed it as much. Seemingly this is now something of a meaningless statement for many on here, maybe those people need to reconnect...
Hi,

Some are pulling your leg. Others do want to challenge the basis for the scientific statements which support the design. There are no anti AVI people, just people being critical.

From my perspective, there does seem to be people who are perhaps over enthusiastic in telling others that non active systems are inferior.

I have some Dean Alto II speakers, sealed enclosure, two way, small bass/mid driver - purchased in the early 80's, and they still sound fantastic too. I think small speakers (my subjective opinion) do sound very good (I have another set - DIY). So maybe people are preferring the small box sound?

Regards,

Shadders.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Question to those that have heard both the DM5's and DM10's
- As far as I'm aware the 5's have built in class D amplification and the 10's class A/B,
- Size apart, any discernible difference in presentation as a result ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts