Avi ADM9.1 (with sub) listening experience....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

al7478:
JohnDuncan:chebby:Next time I am in London I will check beforehand to see if there is a (central) London dealer. I got mine from Sevenoaks 'Holborn'. They have Spendor as well.

Sevenoaks are a 9.1 dealer? Well thats a revelation!

JD, have you got the sub/heard them with the sub/intend to get it in future...?

No, not on the agenda, either from a space or expense point of view. I'd go the floorstander route if I required more bass (which is not out of the question). Or get some Dali Lektors
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Eddie, my Mackies are piano black finish and don't have a remote. I control them from my laptop using Media Monkey, and output to a Presonus Firebox firewire interface which does the D/A conversion, and then feeds the Mackies from it's balanced outputs.

ÿI can see how they won't suit if you're after a wood finish and remote control !!ÿ

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:al7478:

JohnDuncan:chebby:Next time I am in London I will check beforehand to see if there is a (central) London dealer. I got mine from Sevenoaks 'Holborn'. They have Spendor as well.

Sevenoaks are a 9.1 dealer? Well thats a revelation!

JD, have you got the sub/heard them with the sub/intend to get it in future...?

No, not on the agenda, either from a space or expense point of view. I'd go the floorstander route if I required more bass (which is not out of the question). Or get some Dali Lektors
emotion-2.gif

So you do'nt hanker after more bass (regardless of price and space)? It would be the same for me. Even if space aloud for it 1k is about my limit for amp and speakers, and therefore the 9.1s really would be the limit, plus a touch more.

or "allowed" even.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

Thanks for the picture. But look at that horrible mug.

A

Anonymous

As an owner of the AVI ADM9.1's I'd like to provide some feedback.

I've owned my pair for a good few months and have spent many hours listening. Like other monitors I have heard the ADM's reproduce everything that there is to hear within a piece of music, good or bad. Whether this kind of accuracy appeals to everyone or not is another matter entirely, but I want to hear everything and anyone chasing reproduction of the finest details should apply now. My old hifi speakers by comparison coloured the sound as did my brothers; something that you don't realise until you've listened to pro audio or the ADM's.

As I sit hear listening the instruments are set back a little behind the speakers with a soundstage that's just there - you don't have to imagine a soundstage (found myself doing so in the past with other systems, trying to believe there is one) - it's just there. And if you're keen to push the volume a bit, a lot even, they won't struggle, infact they appear to enjoy being pushed. Reproduction of your audio is effortless.

I'm enjoying tracks that used to sound harsh. You know the kind of thing; song starts and the quieter section sounds great, then when you get to the peak of the chours you find yourself needing to turn your amp down a little, everything is sounding harsh. Not the case with these. You may even turn it up some more.

Admittedly a little of what I'm hearing in terms of less harshness is to do with the fact my music is stored on a computer with no error checking required on the fly as with a conventional CD player. However, the ADM's virtually eliminate jitter too.

I've gabbled enough I think ... I'd just urge anyone even remotely interested to go give them a listen.

Matt.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
tino001:
Chebby, I don't understand how you have decided you "need" to hear the Neutrons and not the ADM's, unless budget is the deciding factor. I have heard my brother's ADM's and can confirm they are excellent with all types of music not just loud rock etc.

I think perhaps there is a little bit of 'aptitude' or wrong pride involved with chebby and AVI and I go along with tino001 and advise to listen to the product before making judgement. I am really not bothered whether you like them or not but you seem to have strong opinions on this and other products you have'nt heard and clearly not a clue about what you're talking about sometimes.

Don't take it too personal and I'm sure some would accuse me of exactly the same at times but I make a point of giving my opinions about stuff I've owned or used. If I have failed on a few occasions I beg for forgiveness
emotion-11.gif

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
How suitable is the ADM9.1 to being a 2.1 home cinema solution..... is there a way that it could be partnered with kit to mean that none of the AVI amplification is wasted? I mean.... a blu-ray player and some kind of receiver that processes the signal for the 9.1s to amplify? I don't know a lot about stuff that isn't straightforward 2 channel....But i've cleared out my study now and am planning on getting a 2.1 solution for home cinema / SONOS hifi. Would be interested to find out if this is an option.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mikeinbrum:How suitable is the ADM9.1 to being a 2.1 home cinema solution....

Just connect the ADM9.1 to your Blu-Ray player's digital audio output.

(Or am I missing something?)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
mikeinbrum:really? simple as that! I thought you might need something special to deal with the 'surround' element of the sound.... or something.

Speaking from the POV of have a stereo system with a DAC, this is what I do. I have my new Panasonic DMR-EX78 DVD/HDD thing plugged in with an optical digital audio connection to the DAC.

You may need to go into your Blu-ray player settings to select the correct one for 2.1 (PCM on mine) rather than DTS/Dolby etc

A

Anonymous

Hi Folks, I have been a hi-fi fanatic for years and love a wide array of music. I have had over 50 pairs of speakers in the last 30 years or so from electrostatics and panel ribbons to Impulse Horns and Aerolam Celestions to Isobariks. I have had just as many amps and front ends and love to listen. After spending thousands on amps from major brands and then eventually trying a lab series because of Ashley's bold and outspoken claims. I went directly from a Moon i5.3rs with various other amps to hand at the time. I can tell you this is no ordinary amplifier and if you havent had one and have 30k's worth of amp in your systems then it purely for asthetic reasons as a lab series will sound better. Anyway. I decided to buy the adms's and sell everything and got them and now realise what it's all about. Most loudspeakers amps etc do not sound real. Hifi to me is about as realistic a sound as possible. As true as is possible. I think this is Avi's goal too and I am absolutley certain that there is not another manufacturer on this planet today as close to being there in there sound as AVI. The ADM9t's do not get congested or compressed or sound thin or any of the other rubbish. Put on Back In Black and turn it up and they rock with utmost presicision at a volume and with clarity that nothing else I have ever heard could even attempt (and I am including those stupidly overpriced and formard monitors from Atc which I have sent hundreds of hours in front of in studio). They play Radiohead to Photek, acoustic to complex Dance and orchestral better than any other system I have heard. Including ones at over 100k. They are true and natural. Go outside and listen to the world. There is very little of what we normally hear from tweeters in the real world, there is little of that forward upper midrange bite we mistake as timing or musicality someone in a real venue actually plays guitar or even if someone next to you plays guitar. If your cd is mixed and eq'd to rock it will. If it's dull it'll sound dull if things are lifelike they will sound lifelike on the ADM's. They are the closest thing to the real thing you can get today. You will need a sub to fill out the bottom end if you listen to most music, it's part of the way they are designed. The difference is you are listening to the sound on the recording and not the system as we are used to. Unfortunately loudspeakers nowadays are the tonecontrols themselves strapped to a system where tone controls are not allowed. In a world where the sound allready has been through di-boxes,comressors,eq,effects,mixing desks and multiple amps stages before it even gets to the medium it is recorded on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts