optical).
Since the ADM's do
not support a multichannel signal, the DVD player output signal is set to
"PCM".

In this setup I do
have sound, but it does not compare to my previous Onkyo AV receiver in the 5.1
-> 2.1 conversion mode.
The Onkyo was way
beter in converting a multichannel signal into stereo.I assume the Oppo lacks a good PCM circuitry?

Anyone has good
experience in connecting a DVD player directly to a stereo setup without the use
of a AV receiver?
I'm searching for a
DVD player with decent stereo playback.

Any help will be appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Hi Messiah,

Yes, the player is set to downsample to stereo and output PCM (see also my other threat were I replied to you).

Probably it's just a cheap PCM circuitry that's used since the Oppo is primary made for "excellent picture for the money".

I've had a relatively cheap Pioneer DVD player in the past (still three times more expensive than Oppo) that also was equipped with a quite poor PCM circuitry. The next Pioneer model in line with a good PCM circuitry (all the rest identical) was 300 euro more expensive.

The sound difference between the two Pioneer players was quite obvious. So.....it looks (sounds) I need a new player... ;-)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
biggetje:Dear
all,

For some time now I
own a nice set of AVI ADM9.1 active speakers + AVI
subwoofer.As music source I
use a NAS, connected via optical to the ADM's.So the "stereo music
part" is all in place.

Now I'm struggling
with the "home cinema part".Currently I have a
Oppo DV981 player connected to the ADM's (again via
optical).
Since the ADM's do
not support a multichannel signal, the DVD player output signal is set to
"PCM".

In this setup I do
have sound, but it does not compare to my previous Onkyo AV receiver in the 5.1 -> 2.1 conversion mode.
The Onkyo was way
beter in converting a multichannel signal into stereo.I assume the Oppo lacks a good PCM circuitry?

Anyone has good
experience in connecting a DVD player directly to a stereo setup without the use
of a AV receiver?
I'm searching for a
DVD player with decent stereo playback.

Any help will be appreciated!
Have you not read Ashley's rule book? You are not allowed to come on here as an AVI 9.1 owner and suggest it has a frailty!!

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:biggetje:
Have you not read Ashley's rule book? You are not allowed to come on here as an AVI 9.1 owner and suggest it has a frailty!!

Ehhh? Please read the topic more careful; the device with the so called "frailty" is the DVD player.

A

Anonymous

Hi biggetje I use a cyrus discmaster 8 and it sounds great staight out of the box,I have not changed any settings.My 9.1's have improved over the last 6 weeks the bass has become a little deeper. We only use our setup for music as it is at the other end of the room from the tv,which is in a corner. I would like to move it out and place the speakers either side and get a sub for tv/film use.

A

Anonymous

Hi Nick21, how did you connect the Discmaster to the ADM's, via optical or analog?

Btw, the (AVI) sub sounds great; I'm sure you will be pleased with it if you buy it!

Indeed, the sound of speakers will improve over time. That is especially true for the subwoofer.

A

Anonymous

I have connected the cyrus via toslink optical, but I think I will buy a pair of phono leads 5m lenth run as I feel the dac in the Discmaster is slightly better than the Avi's(it gives a fuller sound). I can't get a sub yet my wifes credit card is under lock and key!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts