AVI ADM40...coming soon!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

igglebert:Just because they're developing a floorstander active doesn't mean that they're going back on what they've said in the past. If the market demands a floorstander active then it makes sense to design and build one. Business.

At last!!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Just because they're developing a floorstander active doesn't mean that they're going back on what they've said in the past. If the market demands a floorstander active then it makes sense to design and build one. Business.

Which will be true if they admit that the reason they are building the floorstander is solely to make money.. If on the other hand they claim it is a step up from the bookshelf then yes they would be going back on what they claimed...

It's always good business to give the market what it wants... The issue is that brands should stop the nonsense talk and just promote their products reasonably... That way there'd never be a need to back track or 'explain' a new product release..

A

Anonymous

You make a good point Ajani, but I think we need to give them a chance to launch the product first. Personally I'm not bothered what the company says, it's what I hear that counts. And how hard my wallet is hit.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:You make a good point Ajani, but I think we need to give them a chance to launch the product first. Personally I'm not bothered what the company says, it's what I hear that counts. And how hard my wallet is hit.

Agreed... Some of my favourite brands are notorious for over the top claims, but all that really matters to me is how the product sounds (and cost)...

It will be interesting to see what claims AVI makes about the floorstanders...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ajani:

igglebert:You make a good point Ajani, but I think we need to give them a chance to launch the product first. Personally I'm not bothered what the company says, it's what I hear that counts. And how hard my wallet is hit.

Agreed... Some of my favourite brands are notorious for over the top claims, but all that really matters to me is how the product sounds (and cost)...

makes sense ...

Ajani:

... not the sound then ...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Ajani:

makes sense ...

Ajani:

... not the sound then ...

lol... Yes the sound will be more important than the claims... But it will be interesting to see whether the claims are the usual over the top stuff...

John Duncan

I have the permission of the author to reproduce the photograph, in case anybody is scared to click on Flickr links. Thanks John.

5187220083_3f28b9edc4.jpg

I like the idea very much, and that rosewood (?) veneer looks good, but they're still far too big for my house
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
JohnDuncan:but they're still far too big for my house
emotion-2.gif

They look very large for surround channel speakers

if eddie jordan was sitting there he'd need pretty strong rug glue...

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I have the permission of the author to reproduce the photograph, in case anybody is scared to click on Flickr links. Thanks John.
emotion-2.gif

I'm still trying to decide which is more hideous; the speakers or the chair? :)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:For a man (or girl) that pays importance on sound and little else, you show a remarkable flair for domestic aesthetics ...
emotion-2.gif

Let me help you out here:

"For a man who pays"...

I don't believe I said sound alone is my priority... There are way too many good sounding and looking products for me to buy an ugly one...

Though in fairness to the AVI it's not really ugly, just not attractive.... Perhaps a different finish, a plinth or removing the side-woofer would help...

Though I suppose I could always use it the dark, close my eyes or throw a bag over it...
emotion-14.gif

T

the record spot

It's a prototype, proof-of-concept in effect. Expect changes and given it's likely to be over £2k for a pair, so expect a better finish to come. I'm not a huge fan of side firing woofer/sub arrangements and it is, if not a departure from the company's previous line of reasonsing to some extent (to my reading, two way seemed to be the likely only way), there's equally no reason why they wouldn't go off and develop what will likely be an impressive three way floorstander. Plus, the wider market likes floorstanders at the moment and they're a company that probably has an eye on that too.

Lastly, given that Meridian does a similar product for something over £5,000 a pair, B&O's top end actives nearer £10,000 seeing something like this coming out in twelve months time or so will likely bring high performance for a (slightly) more affordable price ticket. It'll certainly make them competitive up when you think Spendor's or PMC's floorstanders are in the £1500 bracket or upwards and then you've amps and sources to consider thereon.

Floorstanders aren't new to AVI, they used to make them before, so this is a welcome return to that product. Their views or more accurately, pronouncements on some things undoubtedly lose them fans and - kindly phrasing it - split opinion, but their products have been consistently good over the years. Expect more of the same here I think.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Ajani:
JohnDuncan:I have the permission of the author to reproduce the photograph, in case anybody is scared to click on Flickr links. Thanks John.
5187220083_3f28b9edc4.jpg
I like the idea very much, and that rosewood (?) veneer looks good, but they're still far too big for my house
emotion-2.gif

I'm still trying to decide which is more hideous; the speakers or the chair? :)

That listening position is challenging too.........

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
the record spot:Over on another forum (ahem...) there's a bit of chat around some new active floorstanders possibly out next year. AVI have a prototype up and running - the ADM40 active speakers and they're apparently packing some 750wpc of onboard amplification. Could be very tasty!

750 watts???!!. It was claimed in the 9.1's that the amps were 250 watt bi-polar (heat!!). I see no heatsinking on the back. Is there substantial heatsinking on the back of this one RS or has the designer re-written the laws of physics again??

Does anybody on here know much ironmongery you need to dissipate 750 watts?. Loads!!!.

A

Anonymous

Richard Allen:750 watts???!!. It was claimed in the 9.1's that the amps were 250 watt bi-polar (heat!!). I see no heatsinking on the back. Is there substantial heatsinking on the back of this one RS or has the designer re-written the laws of physics again??

Does anybody on here know much ironmongery you need to dissipate 750 watts?. Loads!!!.I know zero about this, but three ice power modules might suffice (pun intended): http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/solutions/speaker/

T

the record spot

Richard Allen:
the record spot:Over on another forum (ahem...) there's a bit of chat around some new active floorstanders possibly out next year. AVI have a prototype up and running - the ADM40 active speakers and they're apparently packing some 750wpc of onboard amplification. Could be very tasty!

750 watts???!!. It was claimed in the 9.1's that the amps were 250 watt bi-polar (heat!!). I see no heatsinking on the back. Is there substantial heatsinking on the back of this one RS or has the designer re-written the laws of physics again??

Does anybody on here know much ironmongery you need to dissipate 750 watts?. Loads!!!.

Hi Richard - that's the plan apparently; they used existing ADM amps (I think, don't have the page open) but intention is to go down the beefy amp route to better manage dynamic peaks in the music. Hence my interest as I think this would be one of the most powerful amps to go on the market - never mind just on an active speaker - but I think only the Musical Fidelity Superchargers had anything like that to offer.

The considerations you've mentioned I'm sure they'll have in their minds already, but apart from yourselves at EB, I can't think of many other manufacturers who are quite so open as they are in terms of new developments at such an early stage.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:

No finns on the back of the 9.1's. As far as I know the back plate acts as such. I also don't think AVI ever said the 250W are into an 8ohm load. They go plenty loud though.

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Richard Allen:

Although not finned, the back plates are metal on the ADM 9.1's and are heavy weight and solid and do act as large surface area heat sinks and do indeed get quite warm with extended use. The flat plates are sufficient in dispersing the heat and a finned plate is not necessary. I cannot comment on the proposed as ADM40's, like everyone else seems to be doing, as these are prototypes and not finished.

A

Anonymous

Firstly the 750 w of power means next to nothing without other figures, such as the number of ohms. To see what I mean, have a look at the specifications of a 900W Sony Class D amplifier here:http://www.sony.co.uk/product/icp-slim-amps/xm-1s/tab/technicalspecs.

Secondly, and I'm willing to bet on this, AVI will use Class D or similar amps. These run a lot cooler than standard A/B integrateds and don't need the massive amount of cooling.

The challenge here is not the 750 watts, it's to get that using a Class A amplifier built into the speakers...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:

Firstly the 750 w of power means next to nothing without other figures, such as the number of ohms. To see what I mean, have a look at the specifications of a 900W Sony Class D amplifier here:http://www.sony.co.uk/product/icp-slim-amps/xm-1s/tab/technicalspecs.

I think its a conventional 'class B' amplifier

Grottyash:

The challenge here is not the 750 watts, it's to get that using a Class A amplifier built into the speakers...

Why?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:Grottyash:

I think its a conventional 'class B' amplifier in the 9.1.

Grottyash:

Why?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Secondly, and I'm willing to bet on this, AVI will use Class D or similar amps. These run a lot cooler than standard A/B integrateds and don't need the massive amount of cooling
AVI have already slated Class D amplifiation, so I don't think that's the case.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts