AVI ADM 9.1 & Other Active Studio Monitors

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

You will definitely struggle for unbiased opinion on your proposed Bryston + PMC vs AVI choice!

Depends on budget and what you're looking for really. The AVI's are very good, providing a vibrant dynamic sound for not a lot of money. However they will not sound like the Bryston pushing a good set of speakers like the PMC's which I would suggest will have a fuller and more authoritative quality. Then again the AVI's will be dynamic, accurate and exciting as well, for a lot less money.

Up to you mate!

A

Anonymous

Cheers Craig. To be honest I'm not sure I will be happy with the bass from the avi's. My pmc's went just low enough for the majority of music but I felt i needed a bit more low end without having to buy a sub to compensate. I realise the TB2's would only give me another 10hz and ideally i would get some FB1's but I'm not sure I can afford them and a decent Bryston amp. I feed my dacmagic with wavs and apple lossless files through the usb connection on the dacmagic. It sounds fine to me but i havent fed the dac from any other source so it's difficult for me to make a comparison however it does sound a bit bright compared to my old cyrus7 cd player though I feel that's more to do with the dacmagic than the quality of the wav/lossless files.

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate. I would only be looking to buy a used 3bst and some TB2+ so it wouldn't cost the earth however if i bought the avi's then i would be able to sell my dac and preamp for a few bob which would be a bonus. I loved my PMC DB1SA's but just fancied a change and a bit more bass without buying a sub. As good as the flying mole amps are I can't imagine they are quite as good as even one of the older bryston designs such as the st series. The active crossover appeals to me but a well designed passive crossover has always sounded good enough to me with the right amplification. Thanks for your help!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Dal 3000:
Cheers Craig. To be honest I'm not sure I will be happy with the bass from the avi's. My pmc's went just low enough for the majority of music but I felt i needed a bit more low end without having to buy a sub to compensate. I realise the TB2's would only give me another 10hz and ideally i would get some FB1's but I'm not sure I can afford them and a decent Bryston amp. I feed my dacmagic with wavs and apple lossless files through the usb connection on the dacmagic. It sounds fine to me but i havent fed the dac from any other source so it's difficult for me to make a comparison however it does sound a bit bright compared to my old cyrus7 cd player though I feel that's more to do with the dacmagic than the quality of the wav/lossless files.

can you use optical instead of usb? i found a slight improvement. might be worth you trying a dem of the dynaudio focus 110 actives, the bass they can do is unreal for their size. they do need a bit of room behind them though, about 50 cm with the passive version was ideal. if you can get a demo of the avi's though i think you should, owners of them seem very happy and you could always add a sub. if you decide against the active route, bryston and pmc always gets great reviews.

i didn't try with the dacmagic, but when i had a cyrus cdxtse and dacx on home dem, my mac was a lot brighter/leaner into the dacx then the cd transport. i know it's a shed load of money and i aren't suggesting you run out and get one, but it might be worth you trying something else into your dacmagic to see if it gets rid of the brightness. maybe you have an old cdp or dvd with opt out? i find mine a bit bright and i now think it comes from the mac.

anyhow, good luck with it.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts