AVI ADM 9.1 - They Have Landed...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

method man:
its a 650a azure. I dont know what the weak link would be. i can only state that whilst adding the KEFs

to my amp improved the sound hugely. adding the azure later on wasnt as much of an improvment. ( I have an old Rotel)

anyway, the unused dac is boxed away, and im in the process of boxing up the amp, speakers and sonos.

Ah, the 650A is the new one to replace the 640A V2.0. I've not heard one and I'm not likely to either now. The CA amps do need decent running in time. I'd say a good 20-30 hours before they start to give their best.

You are one of the first to hear a 650A so I'm sure everyone would be interested in some more detailed comments on it.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:.......I was swayed by the stellar reviews and the craziest thing ever. A video on YouTube. Now I watched a video of someone demoing these speakers and I know I was limited by my own system but the speakers sounded much clearer than similar videos of other kit.
?

Messiah

PJPro:Messiah:.......I was swayed by the stellar reviews and the craziest thing ever. A video on YouTube. Now I watched a video of someone demoing these speakers and I know I was limited by my own system but the speakers sounded much clearer than similar videos of other kit.
?

Y'see PJ you gotta understand my logic (sort of) here...
emotion-2.gif

I heard the ADMs and they sounded really clear compared to some other videos I had watched. I decided to do some more investigating and listened to various set ups via YouTube. Nothing sounded similar to the ADMs.

Anyway, even with the warped logic I still have a great sounding pair of speakers!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I went.

I saw.

I bought.

Dont actually have them they are getting them from AVI then calling me. Didnt think for a moment id pay more for the rosewood but saw it in the flesh and gave in.

Nothing more to say right now. Tired. Tho if questions are asked i might be polite enough to respond
emotion-2.gif

Please forgive me, OP, for nit starting a new thread but it wouldnt last very long, plus we really dont need another, plus i wont be rhapsodizing(?) about them nearly so much as some have.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Must admit i expected to come out dribbling like a tweeny at a Blue concert, but i didnt. Mayeb its partly because i dont liek getting up at a reasonable hour if i can avoid it lol!

At first i wasnt sure. The first track was enter sandman by metallica, and i wasnt sure they were quite so full sounding as id like, but then listened to Them Bones by alice in chains and some bad religion, and decided i was probably wrong.

I Took Your Name and Country Feedback live by REM certainly sounded live. A bit rougher than on my current setup, but not dissappointingly so.

At the other end of the spectrum, Find The River and Telling stories sounded good, not as harsh as i had thought they might. In fact, I though they handled Alanis's Thank U pretty well too, with no harsh top end. I also dont think the lack of a sub will bother me, which is pretty important as i dunno where id put it and i cant justify buying it now for a while lol!

Overall, i found them very well balanced - no one element/frequency sounded disproportionate to the rest (ive heard they are trebly, need a sub, are a bit "polite". I disagree). At last im able to get rid of my old kit and stop worrying is hugely preferable to thinking about separates, as i was heading toward the 2K mark with them (if i went for separstes), a thought that made me a bit ill (but hey, i know thats personal and we all differ).

So, im content in my decision but maybe folk should take some of what they hear with a small pinch of salt; diminishing returns setting in already, perhaps?

A

Anonymous

hey al,

so are you saying they are good but not as good as you expected?

do they live up to their 'as good as a several thousand pounds set up' identity that many people say?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hey Mickey (ahem. Sorry).

The dealer actually gave me the "better than systems costing thousands" spiel. I dont know if they are that good, as ive heard very few syatems that expensive; the only one i recall for sure is the gear used for this esteemed organ's demo at the last Bristol show, and im on record as saying that system didnt blow me away i think...Maybe im just naive as to how quickly diminishing returns set in (i should point out im still, and always will be, one of the least experienced here with regard to sheer amount of kit ive heard), or my ears arent that good.

Not as good as i thought? Well, not immediate attention grabbers, id say. I should also point out here (tho really i should put this in a different section) that there was quite a bit of talking going on (mostly not by me), and it therefore wasnt the best situation.

However, the positives still stand and those, combined with their convenience won me over - theyre certainly better than my current kit - see my bio - and higher on excitement too.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi. I listened to some last week in a listening room at bartletts hi-fi.

I too am not going to be setting up appreciation societies for them. When they turn up I will review them after a week or so. and then close that chapter.

How much they 'blow you away' I guess must depend on what you have or have regularly been exposed to.

I loved them. But you have to know what I compare them with. My ex-setup (sold last week):

crappy wharfedale diamond 8.3 floorstanders. an old rotel amp/arcam 7se cdp.

Then, before listening to the AVI's , I had, for a week, a cambride audio amp and kef iq5se floorstanders with the arcam spinner. both setups had good connections, and silver anniversary speaker cable.

The biggest difference was the speakers , what you guys call a 'night and day' difference. then i changed the amp. harder to tell, maybe 10% more exiting and dynamic..... like I say hard to tell. I had this for a week and can still remember how much better the speakers were. But of course they would be. a major stepup in new price and quality and new advances. the price including cables etc would be about £800/£900. I liked them. But wasnt amazed by them. They were just better than my old wharfedales. But they didnt make me sit their thinking, wow, what can i listen to next.

So, armed with the fact that its the speakers im really interested in. and knowing I want a DAC for pc streaming. I tried the AVI.9.1s. Also I have about 90% hearing in one ear and 80% in the other. So I really appreciate crystal clear sound and often prefer headphones over my old hi-fi.

So, anyway, listened to a few tracks on thses AVI's and I was wowed. I suppose the best way for me to descibe how I felt. was that pieces of lyrics/music that generally sound too busy and 'noisy' for me sounded as clear as one of my favourite acoustic type tracks.

My brother chose a Pink Floyd track. and I sat enjoying it, where generally it would be a muddled mess for me.

Another track I chose sounded fantastic. I had recently heard it live the week before and thought the whole concert was so noisy and muddled with a constant booming rumbling bass that I had to lip read the words. But the albulm on my ipod was much better. But on these speakers i could easily pick out all the instruments, the weird percussion stuff i saw going on , on stage. the sax, 2 keyboards, lead and bass guitars. BUT could also easily hear and enjoy the vocals. So for me at least, it was better than the live performance the previous week.

I then tried Rod Stewerts Tom Trauberts blues. and can honestly say Ive never heard such depth in the voice. Imagine each word sung as a straight flat line. but pitched higher or lower. well now i imagine that the line has ups and downs in it as well. does that make sense?

well im sure many of you guys, have setups that give you that. BUT I clearly didnt. its a different world alltogether for me. As to wether or not they are better than 5k or 10k systems. I imagine that a lot of that is how well youve balanced your systems for your own tastes. clearly mine was terrible. I will say that my friend mark has about 2.5Ks worth. mostly selected from what hi-fi winners (not auditioned) and the AVI's were night and day to his setup as well. Im going to invite him over when they turn up just for a listen LOL.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts