Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

bigboss:

I watched Avatar in Imax Manchester today............what a film!! One of the best movies I've seen!!! Every single frame in the alien world of Pandora is a sight to behold!!

For once, 3D technology was actually used to good effect, rather than just being plain gimmicky. It totally envelopes you in the scene!

Definitely worth seeing on Imax (to cover your entire field of vision) for that truly immersive experience! Especially those scenes where they jump from heights......you actually get the feeling of heights!!

All in all...absolutely superb!! I'm going to watch it again next week. Definitely a blu-ray purchase!!!

I watched it last night in 3D and loved it, (even my reluctant gf was glad she went!). I second everything the boss man says. Truly spectacular, when you see it you will appreciate why it took so long to complete. By far the most visually stunning effects I have ever seen on a film
emotion-2.gif
you could complain the script brings nothing new but that's not what this film is about. If you haven't already, go and see it
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

what a cheesy film , yes it looked great , so good that im now convinced that 3d has a future , but the way the movie , after starting so originally , descended into the usual hollywood mush was really dissapointing ...

Andy Grange

Aug 2, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:what a cheesy film , yes it looked great , so good that im now convinced that 3d has a future , but the way the movie , after starting so originally , descended into the usual hollywood mush was really dissapointing ...

To be fair if you'd watched any of the trailers for the movie, it's pretty obvious that's going to happen.

A

Anonymous

Andy Grange:maxflinn:what a cheesy film , yes it looked great , so good that im now convinced that 3d has a future , but the way the movie , after starting so originally , descended into the usual hollywood mush was really dissapointing ...

To be fair if you'd watched any of the trailers for the movie, it's pretty obvious that's going to happen.i knew very little about the film , a friend asked if i wanted to go see it , 2 hours later i was watching it , as a spectacle it was brilliant , the 3d visuals were great , but after taking 15 years to get it on screens , surely a bit more effort could have been put into the actual story , the last 45 minutes had every hollywood cliche there is , it felt like it was thrown together in a rush , could have been much better for me ...

A

Anonymous

having already seen Avatar in 3-D (Odeon) I am going to watch it again in 2-D to compare the difference between 3D and 2D

I've seen three REAL 3-D films this season (Final Destination 4, Pixar's UP and Avatar) and have been disappointed with the poor contrast of the latest "3 D" system (digital projection, silver screen and polarising glasses)

no doubt, its a big setup from the previous red/green 3D system (anaglyph) which gave many viewers eye strain and head aches....when I took part in Channel 4's "3D" week featuring the Queen's Coronation in 3D it just gave me a headache, which Avatar did not!

but the poor contrast detracts from the PQ of the film itself - my sister saw Avatar in 2D and was very impressed with the PQ

the current 3D theatre system is somewhat gimmicky, the "3d" often looks like a cardboard 'pop-up' kids books rather than a true 3D representation!!

I'll let you know.....

A

Anonymous

Another one after the iMAX experience.....

And, like most of people (not some movie critics ;-( ) I LOVED IT!!!!

Cameron waned to create amazing experience not some movie with deep meanings etc... Why do people always have to look for something more than it really is.... It supposed to be great show and that what it is!!!!!! Everybody should watch it (maybe not people who prefer independent foreign movies etc. of course) It's pure entertainment!

A

Anonymous

Nicely put Stone 28, I'm amazed at the snobery that exists in The arts especially music.
emotion-7.gif

I enjoyed Avatar.............its is entertaining
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

stone28:
Another one after the iMAX experience.....

And, like most of people (not some movie critics ;-( ) I LOVED IT!!!!

Cameron waned to create amazing experience not some movie with deep meanings etc... Why do people always have to look for something more than it really is.... It supposed to be great show and that what it is!!!!!! Everybody should watch it (maybe not people who prefer independent foreign movies etc. of course) It's pure entertainment!

i agree to a point , but what would have been wrong with creating a better story ?? yes it was fantasy , so anything goes , but for me it was needlessley cliched and shallow , a little more effort from the scriptriters and it could have ticked all the boxes ...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
WARNING -- PLOT SPOLIER!!!

I agree with Maxflinn to some extent -- the narrative of the film was ridiculous -- but I actually think Cameron put a great deal of time and effort into writing it. It's just shame that he seems to have gone slightly gaga. I have no problem with the film as an allegory for neo-colonialism (the war in Iraq, etc), or the film's green message. Hell, I even became reasonably emotionally invested in it all for about the first hour; but I did disengage once Na'vi hair strands were used as vessels for connecting with the souls of trees! If Cameron wanted to stress that we need to 'go greener', then surely he could have found a better way of emphasising this point than making us watch mind-numbing footage of hordes ten-foot-tall, blue, digitally-rendered characters chanting and swaying while they channelled the spirit of mother-Earth (or should that be mother-Pandora).

As for the 3D effect, I can honestly say I wasn't that blown away. Maybe I should have watched in an IMAX cinema to really apreciate the so-called 'fully-immersive' experience...

A

Anonymous

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope.

A

Anonymous

dim_span:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope.

Dear, oh dear, oh dear
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

dim_span:the alien world Pandora.

Pandora? Is that the best he could do after batting that script around for a decade and a half?

It's about as original as the plot, but I do have to admit I enjoyed it still!
emotion-5.gif
. Not to the extent where I need treating for depression because I can't actually move to Pandora. Maybe there should be a disclaimer before the movie pointing this out?
emotion-7.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
What, like this?

"The world of Pandora is imaginary, if not very imaginative. It's not real. You can wish until you're blue in the face, but you can't go there"

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

What, like this?

"The world of Pandora is imaginary, if not very imaginative. It's not real. You can wish until you're blue in the face, but you can't go there"

emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
"Within the fan community, suggestions for battling feelings of
depression after seeing the movie include things like playing "Avatar"
video games or downloading the movie soundtrack"

Paid us good money to see the movie? Feel depressed? The solution is at hand: give us more money...

A

Anonymous

Someone recently described Avatar to me as "unrealistic"........
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Andy Grange:maxflinn:what a cheesy film , yes it looked great , so good that im now convinced that 3d has a future , but the way the movie , after starting so originally , descended into the usual hollywood mush was really dissapointing ...
To be fair if you'd watched any of the trailers for the movie, it's pretty obvious that's going to happen.precisely which is why we didnt bother

wish there was a film which combined effects with a decent plot and didnt involve a love story subplot

A

Anonymous

There's nothing wrong with Avatar in my opinion. It's a likeable movie, even if a little gauche, and I can certainly forgive its' more limpid qualities as it's clearly aimed at more of a family audience than the one James Cameron movies traditionally attract.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts