Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
stone28:Was I blown away? I don't think so.. I mean picture - ohh MAN!!! LOVE it. With sound... I think I need to give some time to my speakers. I had surround sound with my all in one DENON DVD system as well and you could here things behind so still waiting for something (sound-wise) to blow me away.. Hopefully in a few weeks time when speakers will reach their full potential.

Are you saying you don't hear any surround effects with your new gear? Have you run all the calibration on the amp n' stuff? The speakers not being run in won't prevent you from hearing the rear channels if it's all properly set up.

No, No,... far from that.... (everything is set-up properly by the way). I can hear all the surrounds effects and all. What I've said is that I heard them on my old all-in-one DVD set-up as well. Surround sound is nice but it was nice before as well.

A

Anonymous

emotion-7.gif
They look like 1970's standard issue NHS specs!
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

Daveee:
emotion-7.gif
They look like 1970's standard issue NHS specs!
emotion-15.gif

Don't worry it's dark there. Just wait until the lights go off.

A

Anonymous

hello,

will i have to buy a new 3d compatible av receiver also to get hd sound.

i understand the need for tvs to be upgraded to show 3d without glasses but not with. and why new bluray players, isnt it just more info' or do they need 2 lasers.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:You are listening to the HD soundtracks aren't you?

Yep, like I've said I can hear surround speakers.... It must be better I know it is.... It's just I had the impression that the DVD was similar - Maybe it was just my idealistic dream (wasn't watching DVD for a long time), so I just have it in my mind that it was nice. ;-)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Neil Howells:will i have to buy a new 3d compatible av receiver also to get hd sound.
i understand the need for tvs to be upgraded to show 3d without glasses but not with. and why new bluray players, isnt it just more info' or do they need 2 lasers.

No, you won't need a new receiver, and no, not two lasers, but the player will need to be able to decode the codec used for 3D, and output a suitable signal to the new 3D-ready TV.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stone28:the_lhc:You are listening to the HD soundtracks aren't you?
Yep, like I've said I can hear surround speakers....

Yes but you would anyway if you were accidentally listening to ordinary DD or DTS. But the overall sound wouldn't be as impressive.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:stone28:the_lhc:You are listening to the HD soundtracks aren't you?

Yes but you would anyway if you were accidentally listening to ordinary DD or DTS. But the overall sound wouldn't be as impressive.

No I think on Auto it switches automatically to the highest available

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stone28:the_lhc:stone28:the_lhc:You are listening to the HD soundtracks aren't you?

No I think on Auto it switches automatically to the highest available

What's on Auto? As far as I know the default soundtrack selection is down to the disc, not the player (and certainly not the amp) and many of them (I was going to say most but I can't back that up) seem to default to standard DD or DTS.

A

Anonymous

I am sure everything is fine.... It will come to me with time.... Maybe I am to excited about the whole thing the first I have to please my eyes (ears are "disabled" ;-)) and then after that there will be a time for the ears.

A

Anonymous

And btw.... My Avatar is in January ;-( So looooooooooooooong time. There where other options in Imax quicker but with experience I know there is no point going unless you can have a seat in one of let say last 4 rows ;-) The screen is too big otherwise.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stone28:I am sure everything is fine....

It only takes ten seconds to check it when you put a film on, you're going to be pretty annoyed if you find out in a few months time that you haven't been listening to the HD soundtracks.

It will come to me with time.... Maybe I am to excited about the whole thing the first I have to please my eyes (ears are "disabled" ;-)) and then after that there will be a time for the ears.

Most people say that the difference in sound quality is what hits them first with blu-ray, rather than the picture quality, so if you aren't hearing any difference then there's definitely something wrong.

A

Anonymous

I thought most people are hit first and foremost with the HD picture, at least I was (no HD receiver till 2 weeks ago - that might be the reason ;-)). I am sure it was TrueHD (or the other one ;-)) as I remember I thought that something is wrong when I put the DB to my player. But it looks that the HD sound kicks in only when the actual film starts - not at the menu stage etc.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
It only takes ten seconds to check it when you put a film on......

It takes few minutes to open the tray in my player ;-)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stone28:I thought most people are hit first and foremost with the HD picture,

A number of people here have said the opposite.

at least I was (no HD receiver till 2 weeks ago - that might be the reason ;-)).

err, yes.

I am sure it was TrueHD (or the other one ;-)) as I remember I thought that something is wrong when I put the DB to my player. But it looks that the HD sound kicks in only when the actual film starts - not at the menu stage etc.

Well yes, but if you haven't selected the HD audio and the disc doesn't default to it how are you going to know unless you check it?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stone28:the_lhc:It only takes ten seconds to check it when you put a film on......

It takes few minutes to open the tray in my player ;-)

Yes, but pressing the audio button on the remote once the film has started doesn't take a few minutes...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
stone28:I thought most people are hit first and foremost with the HD picture,

A number of people here have said the opposite.

at least I was (no HD receiver till 2 weeks ago - that might be the reason ;-)).

err, yes.

I am sure it was TrueHD (or the other one ;-)) as I remember I thought that something is wrong when I put the DB to my player. But it looks that the HD sound kicks in only when the actual film starts - not at the menu stage etc.

Well yes, but if you haven't selected the HD audio and the disc doesn't default to it how are you going to know unless you check it?

It says on the receiver.

A

Anonymous

Anyone else seen this at an Imax yet? Would be interested if others were as impressed with the experience as me

A

Anonymous

daveywavey18:Anyone else seen this at an Imax yet? Would be interested if others were as impressed with the experience as me

I haven't seen it (I wil in Jan) but I can tell you I will be impressed ;-)

I watched Avatar in Imax Manchester today............what a film!! One of the best movies I've seen!!! Every single frame in the alien world of Pandora is a sight to behold!!

For once, 3D technology was actually used to good effect, rather than just being plain gimmicky. It totally envelopes you in the scene!

Definitely worth seeing on Imax (to cover your entire field of vision) for that truly immersive experience! Especially those scenes where they jump from heights......you actually get the feeling of heights!!

All in all...absolutely superb!! I'm going to watch it again next week. Definitely a blu-ray purchase!!!

Just one thing though.............try to sit as behind as you can in the cinema. I had to sit in the 3rd row from the front (thanks to the parking facilities in Manchester). The first 15 mins or so, there were a lot of fast sequences which made the scenes very blurry with motion. Also, close up shots were sometimes a pain on the eyes to watch..........you had to search for the focussed subject to make viewing easier.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
stone28:the_lhc:Well yes, but if you haven't selected the HD audio and the disc doesn't default to it how are you going to know unless you check it?
It says on the receiver.

FFS, you might have mentioned that 5 posts earlier...

In that case your setup must be very wrong if you can't hear any difference. Either that or you're deaf.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:stone28:the_lhc:Well yes, but if you haven't selected the HD audio and the disc doesn't default to it how are you going to know unless you check it?
It says on the receiver.

FFS, you might have mentioned that 5 posts earlier...

In that case your setup must be very wrong if you can't hear any difference. Either that or you're deaf.

Might be something with my deafness then as I am sure my set-up it setup properly. I have two separate setups, one for sofa at the back of the room the other one for the chair in the middle of the room. I will have to tell you more after watching something else or maybe Startrek again

A

Anonymous

Well, I saw Avatar 3D yesterday afternoon in my local Odeon, and am very pleased to say it's a genuine success. Strongly reminiscent of Dances With Wolves, though lacking that movie's light touches of humour (as is usual really with James Cameron pictures), I found myself thoroughly absorbed within 20 minutes, and I've struggled through plenty of movies at 90 minutes whilst this one breezed through at 165.

It's also a gentler picture than Cameron's done before. By this I mean that death scenes, and there are many of them, are handled quite differently in their rendering than, say, the scene of John Connor's dad getting killed in T2, where the focus is much more vicious. In my opinion, if you didn't know when T2 and Avatar were made, you would still think that Avatar were the newer film, just for the way Cameron's treatment of his key scenes has changed.

There are several great performances in the film too. Zoe Saldana's in particular is a highlight, but mention must also be made of Giovanni Ribisi's(?) corporate villain and the ever-reliable Sigourney Weaver.

I can't really say much more, as that would be to delve into the plot etc which I won't do to avoid spoilers.

I'll finish by saying that despite its' flaws, I really love Dances With Wolves, and this film is just a shade the wrong side of that one. In Zoe Saldana's character in particular though, there's a genuine milestone reached with this movie, in all the right ways.

TRENDING THREADS