admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I saw this tonight at the Imax cinema in Glasgow and would urge everyone to try and see it in 3D. It's a truly stunning film and has made me have second thoughts about the merits of 3D. Whether this can be replicated in the home is still to be seen but I'll be waiting for the technology to appear next year with greater interest.

Maybe the big players are right and this is the future of home cinema?

A

Anonymous

I'm going today (Thursday) around lunchtime - will report back later.

D

Deleted member 2457

So what is this film about? I have seen it advertised alot now. I also heard it was the most expensive film ever made?

Is it definetely goiong to be the biggest film this year? So I am guessing it will be out on blu ray sometime middle of next year?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

JohnDuncan:gel:So what is this film about? Think Dances With Smurfs

Have you got a smurf thing going on at the moment in your office?

Bambi meets the smurfs

Think dances with smurfs

A

Anonymous

Gel - Why don't you go watch it and judge for yourself?
emotion-7.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:Given that we're both talking about the same movie...

Avator blue people, smurfs blue people, the avator blue people are like smurfs. and they meet someone.

Am i now getting the plot?

A

Anonymous

The Blu-Ray Disc Association has apparently announced the finalisation and release of the Blu-ray 3D specification today.

Will these mean that current blu-ray players will become obsolete, eventually?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:
The Blu-Ray Disc Association has apparently announced the finalisation and release of the Blu-ray 3D specification today.

Will these mean that current blu-ray players will become obsolete, eventually?

Not for a very long time.

We'll be bringing you news of the first 3D Blu-ray systems in a few weeks time, when we report live from the Consumer Electronics Show, starting January 6th.

John Duncan

gel:
Andrew Everard:Given that we're both talking about the same movie...

Avator blue people, smurfs blue people, the avator blue people are like smurfs. and they meet someone.

Am i now getting the plot?

(sigh)

Man gets sent into new frontier to pillage the land of the natives, turns out he quite likes them, joins natives in fight against other pillagers. Sound familiar? Except the natives are blue.

A

Anonymous

I'm dragging my gf kicking and screaming to watch it tonight (think she'd rather be home watching "eastenders"
emotion-7.gif
). I'm not expecting a spectacular plot, lets be realistic it's certificate 12 so I wouldn't imagine it's going to be too complex. I'm more interested in the 3D effects and I can't wait to see if they work well.

My only previous experience of anything 3D was a short film at disney land in Florida. It was Honey I'd blew up the kids I think. It was pretty impressive but I was only 14 at the time
emotion-2.gif
There was a moment when loads of mice jump out of the screen and what we didn't know was there were ribbons tied to a fan underneath your seat. When the mice jump out they flapped around your ankles and half the audience jumped up onto their seats screaming! Of course I wasn't scared.........much
emotion-10.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ValianTX:Will these mean that current blu-ray players will become obsolete, eventually?

No - the spec says that discs will be back compatible with existing players. Effectively when you play a 3D disc in a 2D player you'll just get the data for one 'eye', so you'll get a standard 2D image.

On the case with a news story as we speak

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Daveee:I'm dragging my gf kicking and screaming to watch it tonight (think she'd rather be home watching "eastenders"
emotion-7.gif
). I'm not expecting a spectacular plot, lets be realistic it's certificate 12 so I wouldn't imagine it's going to be too complex.
? The certificate isn't an indication of how complicated the plot is or a pointer to the age group the film is aimed at.

Having seen the trailer (in 2d) while we were waiting for A Christmas Carol (in 3d) my missus actually wants to see Avatar! I was quite surprised, she's not usually a sci-fi fan (as evidenced by her falling asleep through every one of the blu-rays I bought when I got my new machine, actually, tell a lie, she quite liked Star Trek).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:ValianTX:Will these mean that current blu-ray players will become obsolete, eventually?
No - the spec says that discs will be back compatible with existing players. Effectively when you play a 3D disc in a 2D player you'll just get the data for one 'eye', so you'll get a standard 2D image.

But you will need a new player to view in 3d, hence existing players will be obsolete, so far as 3d viewing is concerned.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, and a new TV. But that doesn't make the existing players obsolete, just as CRT TVs aren't obsolete even though all but a minute number of them can't be used to view HD.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Or like DVD players aren't obsolete becuase Blu-ray has arrived; DVDs are still being produced, and will continue to be produced. As will 2D Blu-rays; TV and movie producers ain't going to start churning out wall-to-wall 3D movies in an instant, and will also produce 2D versions too, for BD, DVD and broadcast release.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Or like DVD players aren't obsolete becuase Blu-ray has arrived; DVDs are still being produced, and will continue to be produced. As will 2D Blu-rays; TV and movie producers ain't going to start churning out wall-to-wall 3D movies in an instant, and will also produce 2D versions too, for BD, DVD and broadcast release.

Although of course the back-compatibility might give the studios an excuse to punt out new movies as 3D versions at a premium price, knowing that those who only want to view them in 2D will (hopefully) pay the extra just to have the movie...

D

Deleted member 2457

If this was the most expensive movie ever made, what was the second?

TRENDING THREADS