Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
Yep, I'm seeing the one that objectifies women rather than hifi.

Whereas mine just objectifies spider monkeys.

And mine have always objectified nuclear bombers...

11406710305_22bd663261_s.jpg
11406723905_70d1be429b_o.jpg
11406866783_83dde45a13_o.jpg
11406715616_a8ff25a30f_o.jpg
11406719156_69f71796b1_o.jpg
11406922154_235cc4b012_o.jpg

BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:

When they demand and are entitled to equality then I'll let it trouble me. For now, I'll stick to disapproving of the casual sexism of certain avatars.

Strange cat.

The avatar isn't saying anything, nor alluding to any 'ism'. IT.IS.JUST.A.PICTURE.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:

When they demand and are entitled to equality then I'll let it trouble me. For now, I'll stick to disapproving of the casual sexism of certain avatars.

Strange cat.

The avatar isn't saying anything, nor alluding to any 'ism'. IT.IS.JUST.A.PICTURE.

Saying 'it's just a picture' is not a sufficient defence or explanation. There are plenty of images depicted pictorially which you would not dismiss simply as 'just a picture'. It's a picture of a woman who has had a successful career and is a commendable human rights activist. You could have chosen any number of pictures which had no sexual element, and which did not lead to her being described by many members as 'purdey' or pretty. Also, you and others have lamented the very low female membership of this forum; I imagine that such avatars will hardly be an encouragement to join.

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:

Strange cat.

Saying 'it's just a picture' is not a sufficient defence or explanation. There are plenty of images depicted pictorially which you would not dismiss simply as 'just a picture'. It's a picture of a woman who has had a successful career and is a commendable human rights activist. You could have chosen any number of pictures which had no sexual element, and which did not lead to her being described by many members as 'purdey' or pretty. Also, you and others have lamented the very low female membership of this forum; I imagine that such avatars will hardly be an encouragement to join.

I suspect they called her Purdey because that was the character she played in The New Avengers. I'm just sayin'...

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:

Strange cat.

Don't be so wet, Ben. She campaigned for the rights of those soldiers who fought with the Gurkha regiment to settle in the UK. Her father fought for King and country in the Gurkhas, as my father fought in WWII in the RAF and I occasionally do some campaigning for the Royal Air Force Association, so what does that make me?

Yes, Purdey was the character name given to her by Brian Clemens, creator of The New Avengers. Nobody knew her first name. The same thing when he created The Professionals there was a character called Bodie (played by Lewis Collins), and he was only addressed by his surname.

Yes I started up a thread a long, long time ago (2008 if memory serves me) about more of the opposite gender being on this forum. Perhaps if you read it (and you know by now) it is slightly tongue-in-cheek....

Lighten up, ben. As I mentioned before there's No underhand message or subliminal message, just a harmless picture. Or perhaps you'd like to hassle those "others" with female avatars

In that case, can you remove your 'ear' avatar as I have a genuine phobia with ears. I seriously hate touching my own...

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Yes, Purdey was the character name given to her by Brian Clemens, creator of The New Avengers. Nobody knew her first name. The same thing when he created The Professionals there was a character called Bodie (played by Lewis Collins), and he was only addressed by his surname.

Well, calling him Bill Bodie would just have been silly, although his first name was William.

And Purdey? Well, the name was actually coined by Lumley, not Clemens, after the character's original name – Charley – was dropped for various commercial reasons. I always assumed that it was her first name, and her surname was something double-barrelled!

I'll get me coat (or in the light of the above, perhaps me anorak!)

Before I do, just to note that I am seeing the 'correct' avatars people are referring to - ie their new ones. Could the fact some are still seeing their old ones have something to do with local caching (ie within their own web broswers/computers, rather than on the site servers)? Just a thought.

spiny norman said:
plastic penguin said:

Well, calling him Bill Bodie would just have been silly, although his first name was William.

It was William Andrew Phillip Bodie, and that is only revealed in one episode: 'The Rack'. Apart from that one ep he is only referred to as Bodie.

John Duncan said:
plastic penguin said:
John Duncan said:
I have contacted my lovely friend Laura to see if she can do anything about it.

Cheers, John.

Also, since this morning, every thread only shows the OP's initial post. Once you've signed in it shows all subsequent ones. Very strange.

I see this too now. I have notified those in charge...

Okay.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
You might have an anorak but I've cupboard full... :grin:

I suspected as much, but I think you'll find that in the strictest technical sense of the word some of them aren't actually anoraks, as worn by the members of the 17th Queen's Light Bulbs (but only when on night exercises, only between 1946 and July 1948, and only when south of a line drawn between Brighton and Hastings), but actually parkas or even cagoules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts