AV setup for new living room - soundbar?

Greggerly

Oct 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys

Just moved into the new house and now need to choose a new AV setup for the living room.

I currently have Pioneer VSX LX303 with 5.1 Yamaha speaker set. Originally was thinking about the new set of speakers but my living room is an open space and there is no easy way to lead the cables to connect the satellites. Also, I would like to extend the speakers to include atmos but won't be able to place them in the ceiling so it's only the case of the up-firing ones at the moment. I’ve started digging around and Bluetooth sounds bars caught my attention. Especially Samsung Q950A which sounds like a reasonable alternative to avoid cable mess and it also supports atmos with its up-firing speakers. Since I need to buy a new tv anyway I can get one from Samsung so it supports Q-Symphony and it should all work together well.

The additional advantage of the soundbar would be the fact that I don’t need to worry about the proper place for front speakers and simply mount the soundbar below my TV. With the plan I have for the media wall it will be difficult to place floor-standing towers.
Setup will be for movies only as I use Sonos hooked up to Spotify for music anyway.

I've attached layout of my living room. As you can see one side is completely open which definitely don’t help the acoustics. Not sure what would perform better in this layout. Proper AV will always give better results but I’m no audiophile and I won't hear the difference. Also looking around if I want proper speakers setup with atmos then it will come much more than, hugely overpriced Q950A anyway.

Or am I missing a better solution out there?
Any suggestions welcome
thanks

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 22.49.02.png

Reactions: Babur72

bigdigger

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
Since you have mentioned Sonos why don't you get a Sonos Arc or the new Beam and add play ones or Ikea Sonos as rears? I had the original beam and was amazed by the sound

Since you have mentioned Sonos why don't you get a Sonos Arc or the new Beam and add play ones or Ikea Sonos as rears? I had the original beam and was amazed by the sound
This is exactly what I have in the apartment. In the house, I have a full 7.4.1 Atmos system and in the apartment I have Sonos Arc with 2 Sonos Ones as rear speakers and Sonos sub. It's brilliant!

Greggerly

Oct 29, 2021
Visit site
yes sonos is on my radar as well. since I'm buying new TV I thought that integrated Samsung TV + soundbar via q-symphony might work better. not to mention that full set for sonos arc comes little over £2k while samsung Q950A now dropped down to around £1400.
to make decision more complicated sony dropped new HT-A9 which gets really good reviews and is outperforming both of the above
Black Friday is just around the corner so it might all depend on the deals available. I have a feeling all 3 systems will perform good enough

D

Deleted member 196519

yes sonos is on my radar as well. since I'm buying new TV I thought that integrated Samsung TV + soundbar via q-symphony might work better. not to mention that full set for sonos arc comes little over £2k while samsung Q950A now dropped down to around £1400.
to make decision more complicated sony dropped new HT-A9 which gets really good reviews and is outperforming both of the above
Black Friday is just around the corner so it might all depend on the deals available. I have a feeling all 3 systems will perform good enough
Cheaper here:

D

Deleted member 196519

o bloody hell. this gets quite in a good price range. might not be ideal choice but for the money its quite strong contender
At John Lewis now too for the same price:

No rears is £750 at JL.

Greggerly

Oct 29, 2021
Visit site
thanks guys. was pondering if I should go for Sonos or maybe even new sony HT-A9 but is Samsung soundbar drops so low in price I guess its a no brainer :)
will try to pop in the store over the weekend to listen to it but don't expect to be disappointed

TRENDING THREADS