AV Set up with active speakers

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice/suggestions if possible.

Just moved into a new place. It's not the biggest place so rather than have a 5.1 set up, I've opted for a Yamaha YSP-2500 for Films and gaming, whilst utilising a pair of my monitor speakers for music.

The speakers will be Dynaudio BM15As. With them being active and only having balanced XLR inputs, I'm wondering the best way to set these up.

I'll be listening mainly via a CD player (RCA out) and possibly streaming in the near future.

If i was to get a standard RCA - XLR cable, would this cause any noise/issues?

Would I be better trying to source an AV receiver with balanced outs?

Or is there another, more efficient method?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
how will you be connecting the Dynaudio's to the YSP-2500 due to the fact its a soundbar and has no speaker outputs except for the subwoofer?

ps. Welcome to the forums.

*music2*

macdiddy said:
how will you be connecting the Dynaudio's to the YSP-2500 due to the fact its a soundbar and has no speaker outputs except for the subwoofer?

ps. Welcome to the forums.

*music2*

Thanks Macdiddy *good*

I was planning on keeping them seperately to start with. Running the PS4, BR player and TV into the sound bar and running a CD player seperately into the Dynaudios.

I was going to use a Denon 1910, but even then - I'd be without balanced outputs so it seems a little pointless at the moment.... Or is it?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
It will all depend on how much your willing to spend. Preamp av with balanced outputs can be quite expensive. You could pick up second av preamp from eBay for reasonable price if ready to go that way.

That way you could connect all sources to the av preamp. Then preamp XLR to your Dynaudio speakers.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
How about the Audiolab M-DAC? Look used if new price is over-budget. As a stereo pre-amp it would significantly out-perform an AV receiver and adds a high-quality headphone amp too. A cheaper alternative would be Cambridge Audio's DAC Magic Plus, which is also a DAC, headphone amp and pre-amp. Both Audiolab and Cambridge DACs have XLR outputs.

If you wanted to add streaming later, just add a Sonos Connect or Bluesound Node 2. Alternatively the Cambridge DAC Magic Plus has this feature:

Bluetooth, to work with your phone or tablet[/b]

The Plus model has the option of being able to stream music from your smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth. With the optional BT100 audio receiver connected, simply link up via high quality apt-X or standard Bluetooth and stream your stored or streaming tunes from your device to the DacMagic and on into your hi-fi.

And as you say, keep all the AV stuff completely separate through the TV / soundbar.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I use RCA to balanced cables on my Genelecs in my living room. No problem there.

I agree that you probably want something to work as a preamp (volume control) unless you are happy to play with the volume trim on each speaker every time.

TRENDING THREADS