AV Receiver help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys

I am looking at replacing my ageing Sony all in one 5.1 system for an AV receiver and would very much value youe opinion, I am new to this area of things and would like to check a couple of areas out please.

My system is Toshiba 40in 1080p lcd, PS3, Sky tv and Panasonic DVD recorder upscaler

What I am looking for is a system to feed all three boxes into then one HDMI to TV, I would like to use TV speakers for normal tv veiwing then use the receiever for films, games etc to get the surround experience either with HD Audio or stereo put through 5 speakers using pro logic II where needed (my Sony does this now but want to move into HD Audio)

I have been looking at the Denon 1909 and the Sony STR 2400 both handle HD Audio and upscale to 1080i, would I be right going for either of these to do what I want?

I have read lots on forums about compatibility and receivers not doing what people wanted so thought I would check I am on the right lines

Your help is appreciated

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
What sky box do you have? If it's a standard sky box, you're better off connecting direct to the TV via SCART (set to RGB, 16:9 and SCART Control On). If it is sky+ you could route the video via either of those amps via s-video and use the amp's upconversion feature to output as HDMI. Some people have commented that the s-video output is acceptable and have been happy to compromise for the simplicity that using the AV Receiver as a hub brings. Obviously if it's Sky HD, you would simply use HDMI which any HDMI amp could cope with for switching the various devices. As you have a PS3, it is important to buy an amp that can handle audio over HDMI (Set the PS3 to LPCM and HDMI audio output).

What speakers have you decided on?

A

Anonymous

What is your budget? as you can pick up the Onkyo 875 for around 500 quid which is a total bargain.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies

Just got standard Sky Box so would this not feed into the receiver and upscale?

budget is around the £350 mark for the Receiver

Not decided on speakers as yet but like the look of the Jamo a102s for £180-200

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
cramarion:

No, the standard Sky box has only an RGB Scart output, and therefore has no way to be connected to a modern AV receiver.

A

Anonymous

Liam19:cramarion:

No, the standard Sky box has only an RGB Scart output, and therefore has no way to be connected to a modern AV receiver.

Thanks Liam, was thinking I may be able to go scart to component or the likes. As you can tell i need the help!

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
cramarion:
Thanks Liam, was thinking I may be able to go scart to component or the likes. As you can tell i need the help!

I don't think a scart-to-component converter works with Sky boxes, but I'm not 100% - perhaps someone else is more certain?

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
I have recently bought the Denon AVR1909 after previously having a Sony all in one. I tested it against various receivers and decided that the Denon was the one for me. You really should try to listen to the receivers before buying if you can.

Don't forget that you may be able to use your speakers from the all in one for now, however the sub will be a passive design which means that it can not be connected to a separate receiver. You will really need to upgrade the speakers soon to appreciate the improvements made by which ever receiver you choose.

A

Anonymous

Hi Cramarion, I too have a Sony all in one system. The davs 800s to be precise. Ok in its time but a bit outdated now as you say. Left front channel n/w and no DTS now so looking to update amp and speakers.

Deed

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
A (RGB) SCART to Component converter will work. QED and JS-Technology make such devices. A SCART to Component cable on the other hand will not as the Sky box does not output YpBpR over SCART. It can output composite video (PAL) and RGB. The only device I know of that does output YpBpR component over SCART was the Topfield PVR.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies it really does help
emotion-1.gif

I did think about keeping the speakers from the sony all in one but as you say the sub would not work and they are only about 40w i think

Have you got a link to one of the converters mentioned so I know what I am looking for

Cheers

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
deed:
Hi Cramarion, I too have a Sony all in one system. The davs 800s to be precise. Ok in its time but a bit outdated now as you say. Left front channel n/w and no DTS now so looking to update amp and speakers.

Deed

I have a 800s which had the same problem as yours on left front channel, my local dealer fixed it for £40. Had a 500s given to me and it had the same problem. Must be a design fault but hopefully I shall be updating soon as well.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
southdownswolf:I have recently bought the Denon AVR1909 after previously having a Sony all in one. I tested it against various receivers and decided that the Denon was the one for me. You really should try to listen to the receivers before buying if you can.

Don't forget that you may be able to use your speakers from the all in one for now, however the sub will be a passive design which means that it can not be connected to a separate receiver. You will really need to upgrade the speakers soon to appreciate the improvements made by which ever receiver you choose.
Did read somewhere on these forums that there is a way of connecting up a passive subwoofer to one of the new receivers in the short term

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
cramarion:
Have you got a link to one of the converters mentioned so I know what I am looking for

Cheers

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35810

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts