AV Receiver help in New Zealand

Jon Spencer

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Help! I live in NZ although originally from the UK. I have been lucky to be able to convert our double garage into a media room and am looking at what AV equipment to put into it. The tough thing about NZ is the lack of choice and not living in one of the main centres, so auditioning is not really an option for me. I want to spend around $1500 max (800 ish pounds) on an AV amp and would like one that is pretty OK with stereo music as well as movies. The prices here are bonkers! For example the NAD T748 is $998 (540 pounds), the Onkyo NR515 is $644 (350 pounds), Sony DN1030 $1188 (640 pounds), Pioneer VSX922 $1497 (810 pounds) and the Yamaha RXV673 is $1200 (650 pounds)! So some are less and some three times the price of the UK. I know new amps are on their way but it always takes a long time for equipment to reach our shores. What would you consider buying. I would be using them with either my Q Acoustics 1030/1010/1020/centre/sub or I also have a Wharfedale diamond 9.1/9.5/centre/sub surround set ups and a new mid range Blu ray and an Apple TV/external DAC plus maybe even my old Linn Classik.

KiwiMoto

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Check out Paul Money Hifi either Mt Eden or Albany.
End of line and store demo stock would be your best bang for buck and the guys at PM know their DAC from their USB ;)
Another option is Harvey Norman at Wairau Rd over the North Shore,ask for the stereo guy head honcho...Indy.
I'm giving big ups to the current Yammy range,after floating between Pioneer and Denon in the last few years.GL.

Jon Spencer

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks but sadly (and thankfully) I don't live in Auckland so have to rough it in the provinces. The only choices are JBHiFi, Harvey Norman and the few other shops that might stock one brand or two. I eventually bought the Onkyo 616 simply based on value and availability. So far it is a huge step up from my older Sony amp and should be great when my cinema room is completed. I now need a projector but am again in the same boat as I cannot audition many here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts