AV AMP - Aventage 3010 / Pioneer SC-LX90 /

Sutch71

New member
Dec 16, 2003
22
0
0
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my ever faithful Yamaha RXV-1800.

The yammy does a very good job and I am more than happy with its features etc. I am not looking for more outputs or 3D capability. The yammy does what I want it to do (possibly with the exception of screen display output via HDMI, volume etc. But that isnt a biggy)

I am looking to see if upgrading to either a Yamaha RXV-3800 (not sure on the gains I would see here other than networking), Aventage 3010, Pioneer SC-LX85 or even possible Arcam AVR400/600 would give me a big life in sonic capabilities and picture - I want to eek every little last bit of morstle into my speakers :grin:

Any thoughts experiences would be appreciated,
Thanks
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
IMO. The Arcam AVR600 is the one to get, if 2 channel is important. It's had its problems, which are now mostly sorted. I certainly have no problem with mine, for what I use it for.

Sonically it's a stunning machine.

Cno
 

Sutch71

New member
Dec 16, 2003
22
0
0
Visit site
Thanks CNO - I use a MF pre and 2 x AS1000 amps for my two channel so its just a true AV amp or upgrade Im looking for.

Bigboss, is there much of a jump between the RXV1800 and the 3900 - I thought they were basically the same beast but the 3900 has networking and DACS all around as oppossed to just the front? I agree though very very good price and tempting, I just dont know whether the sonic gains would be there against the 1800?

I see that you have the RXV1900 - did that get a GUI upgrade? its ZX80 style on the 1800.
 
Sutch71 said:
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my ever faithful Yamaha RXV-1800. The yammy does a very good job and I am more than happy with its features etc. I am not looking for more outputs or 3D capability. The yammy does what I want it to do (possibly with the exception of screen display output via HDMI, volume etc. But that isnt a biggy) I am looking to see if upgrading to either a Yamaha RXV-3800 (not sure on the gains I would see here other than networking), Aventage 3010, Pioneer SC-LX85 or even possible Arcam AVR400/600 would give me a big life in sonic capabilities and picture - I want to eek every little last bit of morstle into my speakers :grin: Any thoughts experiences would be appreciated, Thanks

Hi Sutch71

The RX-V3800's pre section, quantity/quality of power and its overall performance are a worthwhile upgrade over the already impressive RX-V1800. I see that bigboss has also recommended the RX-V3900. Even though the RX-V3900 does offer an even bigger upgrade over the RX-V1800 however i found the RX-V3800's tonal presentation to be a superior match for Platinum Series speakers.

As for new AV amplifiers i'll highly recommend Yamaha's Aventage RX-A3010. Firstly RX-A3010's work and secondly the RX-A3010's is devoid of an upfront/bright presentation and one which instead (offers amongst its other qualities) a highly detailed, fast, rich and dynamic sound which can be listened to for hours without fatigue. Fwiw, i find the RX-A3010's processing in 5.1 and 7.1 configuration to be even better then Yamaha's excellent DSP-Z11 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
13
0
Visit site
Sutch71 said:
Thanks CNO - I use a MF pre and 2 x AS1000 amps for my two channel so its just a true AV amp or upgrade Im looking for.

In that case, you are probably better going down the Yamaha or possibly the Pioneer route.....there's certainly great bargains to be had on the recently replaced models.
 

Sutch71

New member
Dec 16, 2003
22
0
0
Visit site
Cheers Rick, good feedback mate. Is there much between the RXV-3900 and the new RX-A3010?

The RXV-3900 looks like an absolute steal at £499 and if im not mistaken the new amp is coming in around £2k
 
Sutch71 said:
Bigboss, is there much of a jump between the RXV1800 and the 3900 - I thought they were basically the same beast but the 3900 has networking and DACS all around as oppossed to just the front? I agree though very very good price and tempting, I just dont know whether the sonic gains would be there against the 1800?

I see that you have the RXV1900 - did that get a GUI upgrade? its ZX80 style on the 1800.

I haven't heard the RX-V1800. On the assumption that the RX-V1900 is at least as good as, if not better than, the RX-V1800, the 3900 is definitely an upgrade. I've compared the 1900 & 3900.

Is it possible to get a GUI upgrade for the 1900?
 
Yes, £499 is a brilliant price, although the stockes will be limited at Unilet. Better to ring them & check.

I thought the 3900 was a bit more open & revealing than the 1900, & I was enjoying music more. The only reason I went for the 1900 was because I couldn't afford the 3900, & also couldn't justify the improvements for the price. But now, the price is a real bargain, & I can't think of any receiver for less than £500 which is even as good as the 3900.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts