Auto set up or manual with sound level meter

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I have a Onkyo 806 which I have set up automatically with the supplied microphone. Everything sounds fine but I can't help thinking would I find any improvement by setting manually with a meter.

Does anyone have any experience of trying both set ups?

The meter I have looked at is in Maplin and has an accuracy of +/- 1.5db

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Having done both, I would say manual every time - to the extent I even repackaged the supplied microphone and threw it back into the shipping box of the amp....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Always worth a check, and yes the Maplin one will be fine, but if you're happy with the sound, and you have the Audyssey settings saved, then I'd just try having a look at the speaker distances, and seeing whether they look right, and then tinkering with the channel levels by ear.

I find Audyssey (and most other auto set-up systems, to be honest) sets the rear channels too loud for my taste, but that's a personal preference.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I ran the setup, then used a combo of same sound level meter you have and my ears (with my ears having the final say!)

I found rears and sub needed a bit of a boost after the Audyssey setup, which I believe is quite common...ÿ

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I agree, distances were ok apart from the sub which was way out, and yes the rears do seem a bit out of balance, but I've just upgraded to a 7.1 speakers and wasn't sure if it might have been that.

I think I'll be getting the meter then.

Thanks for the input.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Just my luck, Maplin had the meter on offer at £29.99 at xmas and it's now gone back up in price to £59.99.!!!!

I'll definately get one but wait for it to be on offer again.

A

Anonymous

I have used both, and prefer doing the settings by ear.

Also that way I got a far better understanding of the menu. Like Andrew says got the rears set just right for my tastes, along with the Sub settings.

When I achieved the sound level balance for the room I increased the Db levels by 7 across all which gave the 'Burr Brown' DAC's a stronger signal to process in the Pre-amp.
I found it opened up the music more.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
trevor79:I have used both, and prefer doing the settings by ear.

Also that way I got a far better understanding of the menu. Like Andrew says got the rears set just right for my tastes, along with the Sub settings.

When I achieved the sound level balance for the room I increased the Db levels by 7 across all which gave the 'Burr Brown' DAC's a stronger signal to process in the Pre-amp.
I found it opened up the music more.

That's really intresting, by increasing all channels equally you improved things whist maintaining the system balance.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Andy H:Just my luck, Maplin had the meter on offer at £29.99 at xmas and it's now gone back up in price to £59.99.!!!!I'll definately get one but wait for it to be on offer again.

You shouldn't have to wait long - they seem to be on offer more often than they're not (probably just to comply with the law so they can advertise it as a half price offer)

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Yes, that's right.

I wouldn't bother myself about a sound meter, your ears are in my view better at deciding levels etc.

After all it's getting the balance right for you, your hearing might not be absolutely the same in both ears.

skularatna

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
The audyssey calculates the distances pretty accurately...but i dont tihnk it does a great job of adjusting/setting the speaker levels. Best bet is to use an SPL and your ears.

A

Anonymous

I don't know much about the Maplins meter, but can offer views on some alternatives: -

Radioshack Analogue meter - deemed quite accurate from 20hz to about 3khz. Supposed to be unreliable after. I bought mine form an ebay seller from Colchester for £20ish. He was a good guy.

Pros - Cheap and perfrect for subwoofers

Cons - Not great for full range

Galaxy CM140 - Expensive but greater reliable range and more accurate

Pros - Reliable

Cons - Expensive 4 or 5 times RS one

I could go into the Behringer ECM8000 measurement mic, but I assume this is getting a bit boring. I should be getting one next week though.

I ran Yamaha's set up last night, and thought it was wrong, reducing bass where it shouldn't have. I am going to do some tests next week and sort it out. I would say the meter wins in my case.

A

Anonymous

I bought a digital spl from a amazon seller and used it to setup the decibel levels on my sony 2400 ES amp and jamo speakers.

After using the auto calibration the sony set up i went on using the spl meter and a tape measure. The sony amp got the distances about right but doubled the distance of the subwoofer.

Using spl set to 75db - c weighting on slow i found my rear surround from my seating position needed to be increased to L 3+db and right 3.5+db - i did this 3 times and each time it was the same ( spl on a tripod ) i rewatched a few scenes now using - transformers, saving private ryan ( you know the the bit ) and ironman and yes i pretty much am very happy with the results, the sound is much more immerssive now and impressive. Would recommend people to borrow or invest in a spl meter money well spend.

TRENDING THREADS