Audioquest RCA interconnects

Hawkmoon

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Audioquest RCA interconnects - overhyped, snake oil or worth trying? I am not overly flush with cash but was eying up the Golden Gates or Big Sur interconnects as a potential upgrade from my 20+ year old Cable Talk interconnects - any thoughts ?

Gray

Perhaps I am a bit anal as I remove and clean / retighten the contacts at least once a year.. :cool:
That's only sensible, contamination finds its way into hidden places.
It's why, the first (and only) time I pushed new banana plugs into my new speakers....I got some large diameter, clear heatshrink....totally covered terminals and plugs and hermetically sealed the lot.
That was probably anal.
('probably' :LOL:)

Audioquest RCA interconnects - overhyped, snake oil or worth trying? I am not overly flush with cash but was eying up the Golden Gates or Big Sur interconnects as a potential upgrade from my 20+ year old Cable Talk interconnects - any thoughts ?
What kit are you connecting together, and how old is it? There are plenty of interconnects for less than £59 or £99 a pair I’d be happy to use in most systems. For example, look on eBay for Van Damme interconnects, which can be made in any length with your preferred brand of plug.

Audioquest are an established big brand in cables and mains products, but so are Chord, Atlas, Kimber and numerous others. As Al Ears mentions, unplugging what you have, cleaning it, and reconnecting might be just the trick?

That's only sensible, contamination finds its way into hidden places.
It's why, the first (and only) time I pushed new banana plugs into my new speakers....I got some large diameter, clear heatshrink....totally covered terminals and plugs and hermetically sealed the lot.
That was probably anal.
('probably' :LOL:)
For probably read totally.... :)
Now just how are you going to employ that wonderful snake-oil contact cleaner?

Reactions: Gray

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I recently splashed out on audioquest XLRs and it’s the first time I’ve ever noticed any difference. If your kit has the option I highly recommend it. The difference is huge.

Leon Martin

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
I have Cambridge Audio CXA81 amp and CXN V2 streamer, both with XLR connectivity. Currently they are connected via the RCA ports. I had a look for a pair of XLR cables but generally they were so expensive that it put me off. Do you think it would be worthwhile purchasing a pair if I can find some at a reasonable cost ? The amp and streamer are literally inches apart.

I have Cambridge Audio CXA81 amp and CXN V2 streamer, both with XLR connectivity. Currently they are connected via the RCA ports. I had a look for a pair of XLR cables but generally they were so expensive that it put me off. Do you think it would be worthwhile purchasing a pair if I can find some at a reasonable cost ? The amp and streamer are literally inches apart.
If you're happy with the sound you're currently getting then no it's probably not so the extra outlay unless you can use your RCA cables to connect something else.
You shouldn't have to pay a huge amount of money for XLR cables especially if a 50cm one will be sufficient, look at studio and music equipment suppliers rather than rip off hifi shops or see eBay.
What RCA cables do you use?

Gray

You shouldn't have to pay a huge amount of money for XLR cables
That's what I was thinking.
These would do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stagg-S-...317148&hash=item2cba7ee673:g:sasAAOSw3v5YpwoP

Better still, if you're able to use a soldering iron, make a top quality pair for £16.04 all in, using the following parts:

1 metre of this:

2 of these:

and 2 of these:

I wouldn't think twice about using XLR if I was in your position (Leon in post #13).

P.S. I've always liked the look (if not the price) of the CXN. If you can tell me something(s) you hate about it, please do ;)

Last edited:

Leon Martin

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
If you're happy with the sound you're currently getting then no it's probably not so the extra outlay unless you can use your RCA cables to connect something else.
You shouldn't have to pay a huge amount of money for XLR cables especially if a 50cm one will be sufficient, look at studio and music equipment suppliers rather than rip off hifi shops or see eBay.
What RCA cables do you use?
Thats the thing. Although I'll happily admit that my hearing is poor, there's a distortion to certain (not all) vocals. Sometimes the vocals sound fuzzy as though there's a resonance, other times it can sound like an echo. High pitched female vocals can sound shrill and tinny. At first I thought it was my dodgy ears but having time on my hands lately I connected the CXN and CXA via the digital CoAx ports and the distortion has gone -I know which tracks this occurs on and I can swap inputs on the CXA via input buttons so I can do the back to back test while the track is running - At this point I dont know if it's the CXN analogue out, the CXA analog in or the RCA cables. Unfortunately I don't recall the cable manufacturer but they were freebies with a What HiFi subscription some years ago. I hadn't used them until I bought the amp and streamer but the assistant at Richer sounds said that he thought they were a decent set ( I had the box with the brand on at the time). This is why I'm prompted to ask about the XLR cables.

EDIT: I found the box. The RCA Interconnects are Atlas Element Integra.

Last edited:

Leon Martin

Mar 19, 2020
Visit site
That's what I was thinking.
These would do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stagg-S-...317148&hash=item2cba7ee673:g:sasAAOSw3v5YpwoP

Better still, if you're able to use a soldering iron, make a top quality pair for £16.04 all in, using the following parts:

1 metre of this:

2 of these:

and 2 of these:

I wouldn't think twice about using XLR if I was in your position (Leon in post #13).

P.S. I've always liked the look (if not the price) of the CXN. If you can tell me something(s) you hate about it, please do ;)

Thanks. I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron so i might give this a try.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

Gray

Thanks. I'm pretty decent with a soldering iron so i might give this a try.
Good for you. And what better time to do it?
Screen to pin 1
Whites to pin 2
Blues to pin 3
Look at all those pretty outer jacket colours to choose from too :love:
There will be those that say Starquad cable is unnecessary in your case - with line level signals, travelling such a short distance.
If you can be bothered, watch this video for actual proof of a cable benefit!
OK, he's using mic levels, but I say, why not have the extra immunity - it's hardly expensive:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ckp5CYBBjE

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts