Audiolab AV equipment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

What do you guys think of the Audiolab 8000AV and 8000X7 combination?

How do you think it compares with the Onkyo SR875 for movie sound sound quality?

Cheers,

A

Anonymous

I'd like to know about this too as I've been considering buying the 8000X7 Power Amp. Anyone used one?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It was reviewed yonks back in WHFSV, and I seem to remember they quite liked it. I also tested it for Gramophone and was very impressed with the sound quality, but then I have been a long-term Audiolab/TAG McLaren Audio user.

Have to say, however, that I'm currently running the TX-SR875 at home and have no complaints whatsoever.

BTW, test of the 8000AP/8000X7 coming up in the November issue of WHFSV, out in a couple of weeks

A

Anonymous

Yippeee. Just in time! Brilliant. Thanks for reviewing them Andrew as the new Audiolab really needs to be written up so we can see how different it is to the pre TAG Mclaren days and whether the quality is still there.

Can I ask you a question?

I've been thinking about getting the 8000X7 ever since you suggested it and I may well do so after your review (Superfi £699 how can you go wrong!) but I'm also looking at an Denon KAVC A1SE this is a monster and I'd only be using it as a power amp off my AVC A10SE to Bi-amp my front 3 channels freeing up the A10SE to power all the 4 rear speakers.

Should I have a go with this or by the Audiolab for a cleaner purer solution. I'm not actually sure if the "K"AVC A1SE (The K prefix meaning it has the upgraded board) can be used as a pure power amp and I know it seems odd to use the better machine for power amp duties but it's even 6 channels across the front that way. Your thoughts??

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]November issue of WHFSV, out in a couple of weeks[/quote] the issues seem to be flying by, are you sure there are only 13 per year?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="richardjlarby"]the issues seem to be flying by, are you sure there are only 13 per year?[/quote]

Yes, only 13, but the guys on WHFSV say it feels like the magazine's weekly, they're going so flat out. And I'm still getting used to this 24/7 always-on non-stop-news world of t'Interweb site.

Anyway, I think I'd definitely go with the Audiolab power amp - at that price it seems like something of a steal.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Andrew.

Will pluck up the courage and make the purchase. Just need two more Dali Ikon On-Walls for the rear then. Oh and speaker cable. Ahhhhh and phono leads from the AVC A10SE to the Audiolab.

Any recommendations for 3 pairs of the most musical, warm and rich sounding analogue phono cables with 3 y adaptors?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd email or call the Chord Company Cable Doctor, and see what gets suggested. The company seems quite a whizz at making up custom cables for just this kind of thing.

Click here, or dial 01980 625700.

A

Anonymous

Called them. They're ever so nice. No Doctors in the house right now, but they took down the details and are going to get back to me on Monday with some suggestions.

I'll let you know what their advice is.

Cheers as ever Andrew.

Will

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, but what about when they are both available for £1,000.00? Which one would you go for then as the Audiolab pairing retails at around £2,500.00 usually?

Which one sounds the best?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
On that basis, I'd - just - go for the Audiolabs on pure sound, but it's a very close-run thing and all the extra facilities and capabilities of the Onkyo would still swing it for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts