Audiolab 8200cd vs M-dac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am curious as to how the 8200cd and the m-dac stack up against each other.

I have a cdp at home, so im interested in the dac qualities of both.

please negate the price, the m-dac actually costs more than the 8200cd.. ^^:::

thanks a bunch! :D

A

Anonymous

meant to say that the m-dac costs more HERE. ^^:

i am aware that that is not the case in many parts of the world...

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Possibly hang on for 3 or 4 months and wait to see the new Creek offering, the Evolution 50D. A CD player, DAC, and Pre-amp, this would be in competition with amongst many, the Audiolab 8200CDQ but will retail in the UK for half the price. (roughly £1K v £500).

If it's Creek I'm sure the quality will be top notch if the Evo 2 is anything to go by.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
By all accounts, there is to be an upgrade for the 8200CD and 8200CDX - Mk2 - later this year.

I believe these are to "leapfrog" the M-DAC.

In the meantime there is a matching CD drive due out to complement the M-DAC and matching power amp, establishing Audiolab's "midi - range"

A

Anonymous

thanks for all the input!

i am still wanting a direct comparison as well though :p

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Im in the market for a cdq and some monoblocks.... is the cdx a replacement for the Q and do you know anymore about when these are coming out?

sorry forgot to quote.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
Im in the market for a cdq and some monoblocks.... is the cdx a replacement for the Q and do you know anymore about when these are coming out?

Sorry, my typing mistake. I should have said CDQ, not CDX.

The CD and CDQ are to be replaced by an upgraded CD mk2 and CDQ mk2, late this year or early next year, according to John Westlake the designer.

Quote here from another forum....

"Towards the end of this year / early next year we plan to release a MKII version for the CD/CDQ. It should leapfrog the MDAC/BDAC SQ and feature set.

Currently the CD/CDQ software cannot be upgraded by owners - MK2 willl.

OLED version have software 2.0

UK service center offers the hardware/software update for earlier non OLED versions - best contact them to confirm price and availability.

We plan to offer an update for for existing European CD/CDQ owners (units will need to be returned to Czech Rep.) to the MK2 spec. later next year.

John "

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Soopafly49 said:

The CD and CDQ are to be replaced by an upgraded CD mk2 and CDQ mk2, late this year or early next year, according to John Westlake the designer.

"Towards the end of this year / early next year we plan to release a MKII version for the CD/CDQ. It should leapfrog the MDAC/BDAC SQ and feature set.

UK service center offers the hardware/software update for earlier non OLED versions - best contact them to confirm price and availability.

We plan to offer an update for for existing European CD/CDQ owners (units will need to be returned to Czech Rep.) to the MK2 spec. later next year.

John "

Question is should i wait or get the stuff and get it updated?

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Soopafly49 said:

John "

Question is should i wait or get the stuff and get it updated?

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard the CDP but from the many, many comments on PFM, the M-DAC is better. I've updated to v0.99 on my M-DAC earlier this week & can only say it now sounds even better. The designer, John Westlake & his most able partner Dom are working on a newer but cheaper model that, as has been mentioned, will be made by Creek in the not too distant future.

One aspect on the M-DAC is if all your sources are digital, you can drive a power amp directly. Beresford is also about to launch a new model, I hear. If you are going to buy a CDP, I'd say the audiolab would be a great choice as it has digital inputs.

A

Anonymous

thanks again for the input guys!

still, i would appreciate comments from those who have heard both sources.

i have only heard the 8200cd, since the m-dac is hard to get a hold of here.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Soopafly49 said:

John "

Just spoke to someone at Audiolab and they said they had no plans for the MKII..funny that

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
Just spoke to someone at Audiolab and they said they had no plans for the MKII..funny that

I suppose it's not surprising that Audiolab (sales or PR in particular) don't want to dampen the sales prospects of the current models by admitting that a replacement is in the pipeline. However the cat already appears to be out of the bag, so to speak.

It's just like with cars, where for months the motoring press have been talking about a new model, which in the meantime might even have been put on show at one of the international car shows, but if you go into a dealership, they deny all knowledge of it.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Soopafly49 said:

I suppose it's not surprising that Audiolab (sales or PR in particular) don't want to dampen the sales prospects of the current models by admitting that a replacement is in the pipeline. However the cat already appears to be out of the bag, so to speak.

It's just like with cars, where for months the motoring press have been talking about a new model, which in the meantime might even have been put on show at one of the international car shows, but if you go into a dealership, they deny all knowledge of it.
Very True... But im sure that staement said they would be doing updates for people with the old model and I just want to find oiut if it was a straight swap and I would have still bought one now.

gowiththeflow said:
By all accounts, there is to be an upgrade for the 8200CD and 8200CDX - Mk2 - later this year.

I believe these are to "leapfrog" the M-DAC.

In the meantime there is a matching CD drive due out to complement the M-DAC and matching power amp, establishing Audiolab's "midi - range"

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but didn't Audiolab upgrade the CD8200 back in October? The review was in last years awards mag. So is this a new MKIII or a tweak on the MKII?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/about-the-mag/audiolab-cd8200-upgrade

DIB said:
Possibly hang on for 3 or 4 months and wait to see the new Creek offering, the Evolution 50D. A CD player, DAC, and Pre-amp, this would be in competition with amongst many, the Audiolab 8200CDQ but will retail in the UK for half the price. (roughly £1K v £500).

If it's Creek I'm sure the quality will be top notch if the Evo 2 is anything to go by.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but didn't Audiolab upgrade the CD8200 back in October? The review was in last years awards mag. So is this a new MKIII or a tweak on the MKII?

[EDIT] Sorry DIB - wrong poster

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong; I think that update included the new OLED display, new filter settings and a software update.

This report suggests that the next upgrade (mk2 or whatever?) will introduce the capability for the end user to upgrade the software, as well as a marked upgrade in the SQ of the onboard DAC.

gowiththeflow said:
plastic penguin said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong; I think that update included the new OLED display, new filter settings and a software update.

This report suggests that the next upgrade (mk2 or whatever?) will introduce the capability for the end user to upgrade the software, as well as a marked upgrade in the SQ of the onboard DAC.

Fair play - wasn't sure whether this was/is an additional upgrade to the one I mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts