Audiolab 8200a amplifier - opinions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any opinions on this?

Need to buy a new setup so was thinking the Audiolab 8200cd and the amp combo.

Will be getting a demo some place hopefully, but just wanted to know?

Are What HIFI doing a review soon?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We are hoping (but not yet certain) to get an Audiolab amp in for our January issue (out @10th December), where we'll have our biggest-ever one-make hi-fi systems tests - set-ups where all the kit comes from the same (or close sibling) manufacturer

A

Anonymous

Hi

I spent 3.5 hours with these last week, BRILLIANT, Audio T in Reading had the full set up to play with..... still running them in

Well worth a listen, I placed an order VS. Cyrus 8 series and Naim

sortof

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
It strikes me as pretty odd that the 8200CD has balanced outputs but the 8200A has no (!) balanced inputs. Thatïs extremely motivating to combine these components for an all Audiolab system. Especially in consideration of the What Hi-Fi result that the 8200CD sounds actually better over the balanced output.

A

Anonymous

I bought the new Audiolab 8200CD player recently and was impressed. One thing led to another and I decided that my budget amplifier needed upgrading (after 19 years of flawless continuous service!)

I was fortunate to get a "sale or return" from a dealer and the new amplifier was soon in place. The initial harshness was gone within a couple of days and listening tests could begin. My interests lie mainly with classical, especially string chamber music, although I do Jazz as well. Non-acoustic music doesn't really have any appeal for me - I developed my musical skills either playing the violin myself or listening to others do so on LPs played through a Quad/KEF system. By training I'm a physicist, so I can relate to the technical side as well.

The new setup was very revealing, perhaps a little too revealing in some cases. The bass was well-controlled (no booming) and the mid-band was very clear, if a little cool. Excellent soundstaging through my KEF speakers. High-ish volumes showed very little sign of hardening or constriction (my only quibble with my old amp). The problem was the top end. It was brighter than I was used to, but even allowing for that, it was just too enthusiastic. This led to very fatiguing extended listening and audible distortion (whether psycho-acoustic or objectively measurable isn't clear). Dynamic passages of string music above about 800Hz had a timbral quality that was just plain nasty! Once noticed, the music became unlistenable to. Even the finest string quartet recordings sounded dire, with listeners working far too hard to make any sense of the unintegrated audio data stream. Even on the good bits, the performers sounded as if they were working far too hard.

Brass and woodwind didn't really present the same issue to my ears, but the problem was also detectable on certain female voices. Piano music showed it clearly, but only if listened for - otherwise it could easily have been mistaken for a performance or recording "feature". When the 8200A was used for TV stereo sound the voices sounded superb. It was even quite a good match for my Arcam tuner - the real issues started when paired with its stablemate, the 8200CD. All testing was done with the Optimal Spectrum filter enabled - the other filters don't cut it on standard CDs (or even quality transfers of historic material). Jazz and other acoustic music (e.g. World) sounded pretty good - with the exception of Jazz violin, of course.

Well-built (although mine had a "sticky" motorised pot.) and sensibly specified. Retains its essential character at low volumes and shares the 8200CD's superb-in-the-hand remote control. Oh well - it's going back. Arcam, here I come!

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Thank you GoldenEars for the excellent review of the new Audiolab CD player and amp. There are a couple of very interesting points that you raised. Initially you were very impressed with the Audiolab 8200CD player when coupled with your old budget amp. However, when played through the Audiolab 8200A, everything just went downhill from there. The conclusion to be drawn from this is that although both are good on their own, when used together they just don't gel - too bright at the top and fatiguing for extended listening. It seems that they will need careful partnering to get the best from each.

A

Anonymous

Great review Golden Ears, nice to hear a review from someone who plays an instrument and knows how it should sound through hi-fi rather than making a guess as to what he or she thinks it should sound like. Jazz violin, can,t beat the old master Grappelli.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We just got ours this afternoon- the 8200a and 8200CD. My initial impressions are superb. Build quality is a real stand out at the price point, the amp has a real weighty feel to it and the buttons/dials all react accurately with a solid feel to them. It is too early to say on the sound quality - but we have the amp running the Kef Muons to get it warmed up and it is not embarrassing itself.

Hopefully we will get a chance to test it properly tomorrow.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Have a sneaky feeling it'll be a 4 star recipient. No basis for the prediction, just gut feeling.

What a bizarre post - been sitting on that tripod over the volcanic vent again, pp?

Andrew Everard:

plastic penguin:Have a sneaky feeling it'll be a 4 star recipient. No basis for the prediction, just gut feeling.

What a bizarre post - been sitting on that tripod over the volcanic vent again, pp?

Nope - law of averages. Usually, the exception being Cyrus, whenever a real 'all singing all dancing' product is released like the Audiolab CDP/DAC, it's usually followed up by a 'not quite as impressive' item. The euphoria of the CDP sometimes results in an anti-climax for a follow-up... in saying that, I can feel the egg shell giving way as we speak.

A

Anonymous

I heard the audiolabs going through Wharfedale speakers, which probably didn't help. I thought the sound lacked midrange, had too much top but was ultimately insipid. That might have been because everything else I'd heard that day was mostly driven by valve amps - and used better speakers.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Amazing how a bunch of new posters all appear at once to alert/inform/review re the same soon-to-be-released product.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

I doubt it's a conspiracy. The product is out now so some of us have heard it, and the OP did ask for opinions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts