Audiolab 8200 P or Creek Evolution 50A

jorje

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I know it's like comparing apple with oranges but hear me out first :)

Given that the speakers I will purchase are the KEF R-300, I am looking for the best combination of a DAC/Amplifier which will offer the best possible sound quality (see below what I am mostly after in terms of sound quality)

The short list (in that order) is:

1)

Audiolab 8200 DQ

Audiolab 8200 P

This is an obvious choice DQ will be also used as a Pre-Amp

2)

Audiolab 8200 DQ

Creek Evolution 50A

This is probably a weird choice - I suppose DQ will be used only as a DAC here

3)

Audiolab M-DAC

Creek Evolution 50A

So at the end as you can see it comes down to "Audiolab 8200 P or Creek Evolution 50A" :) :rofl: :)

Could you please share your feedback/experience??? I would really appreciate it

Background Info

- Source: Mostly Sonos, iPod and CDP (very rarelyTechnics SL MKII)

- Music Styles:Jazz/Latin/Samba/Pop/Rock/Electronic/Ambient/Underground

- Sound likings: Balanced, clear and detailed, well controlled.

The most important thing is that I want to have the best outcome I can with lower volumes

- Room Size: let's say around 15-17 square meters

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Creek 50A is an excellent amp, but I would suggest you go for the Naim 5si which has more drive and is much more punchier. You will find the 50A too relaxed, smooth sounding and lacking bass, so up-tempo music like rock, pop, or dance music might not sound as good. The 50A will make R300, which are already smooth, warm sounding speakers, sound too polite and lacking grunt. The R300's require a more powerful, punchier amp, like the Naim 5si. Audiolab is also excellent, but a bit on the dry, analytical side and focuses more on detail than overall musicality.

My suggestion for you is to get the Naim 5si + Arcam irDac, which is close to the price of the Creek 50A + Audiolab M-Dac, but you will enjoy the music more instead of analysing every single detail in the song. I own both the Naim 5si and irDac, and have listened to the R300s before, so I know this combo works.

jorje said:
Hi,

Yes I know it's like comparing apple with oranges but hear me out first :)

Given that the speakers I will purchase are the KEF R-300, I am looking for the best combination of a DAC/Amplifier which will offer the best possible sound quality (see below what I am mostly after in terms of sound quality)

The short list (in that order) is:

1)

Audiolab 8200 DQ

Audiolab 8200 P

This is an obvious choice DQ will be also used as a Pre-Amp

2)

Audiolab 8200 DQ

Creek Evolution 50A

This is probably a weird choice - I suppose DQ will be used only as a DAC here

3)

Audiolab M-DAC

Creek Evolution 50A

So at the end as you can see it comes down to "Audiolab 8200 P or Creek Evolution 50A" :) :rofl: :)

Could you please share your feedback/experience??? I would really appreciate it

Background Info

- Source: Mostly Sonos, iPod and CDP (very rarelyTechnics SL MKII)

- Music Styles:Jazz/Latin/Samba/Pop/Rock/Electronic/Ambient/Underground

- Sound likings: Balanced, clear and detailed, well controlled.

The most important thing is that I want to have the best outcome I can with lower volumes

- Room Size: let's say around 15-17 square meters

You'll have to dem both as I've not heard the Kef R series. That said, I've never been a big fan of Audiolab but loved the Creek Evo2. Don't just limit yourself to these two: Arcam, Roksan, MF or Croft are all options around that price bracket.

csq2 said:
Creek 50A is an excellent amp, but I would suggest you go for the Naim 5si which has more drive and is much more punchier. You will find the 50A too relaxed, smooth sounding and lacking bass, so up-tempo music like rock, pop, or dance music might not sound as good. The 50A will make R300, which are already smooth, warm sounding speakers, sound too polite and lacking grunt. The R300's require a more powerful, punchier amp, like the Naim 5si. Audiolab is also excellent, but a bit on the dry, analytical side and focuses more on detail than overall musicality.

My suggestion for you is to get the Naim 5si + Arcam irDac, which is close to the price of the Creek 50A + Audiolab M-Dac, but you will enjoy the music more instead of analysing every single detail in the song. I own both the Naim 5si and irDac, and have listened to the R300s before, so I know this combo works.

I think this pairing would suit your speakers very well indeed. Audition is a must, however, as what other people might think sounds brilliant might not to you.

Another suggestion not on your list would be the Exposure 2010S2 in place of the Naim.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I auditioned the Exposure 2010S2 with the Kef LS50, and loved the clear, open sound and impressive sound stage. I felt the pairing lacked bass extension, but maybe this wouldn't be a problem with the R300. I would also have the Exposure at the top of my list.

Otherwise, also take into account that Kef has been promoting Arcam amplifiers with their speakers. They definitely match well.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it is largely down to money here.

The 50A with onboard dac module should give you an oustanding dac amplifier for less than £1000.

If I was spending rather more than this, then I would look elsewhere than at Audiolab. But that's me, I like stuf that is a bit off the mainstream.

jorje

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
thank you all for the feedback....and thank you very much for putting in my radar the Exposure 2010S2 :clap:

I will certainly try to audition it together with KEF Rs.

Naim/Arcam seems a good solution too....

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
You could also go with the new Hegel H80, which has a excellent built-in dac. I chose the richer sounding Naim 5si over the Hegel H80 because it suited my speakers better. I find the Hegel H80 to be cooler sounding, so it will be a better match with the warmer sounding Kef R300s. The H80 has the best bass control for an amp in its price range and will give the KEF's tighter bass response with less overhang- the bass on the R300s are tricky to control. You will get too much bass overhang with the wrong amp and overpower your room.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Or you could read this article http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/the-sound-of-an-amplifier and keep your Audiolab.
wink.gif
I know I'm making a very unpopular suggestion but hey...

hoojtune73

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
agree with that csq2,owned the creek for a while and its no rocker or raver!good for country and folk indeed

i also thought the naim 5i(not si model though) sounded quite light in the base.

only heard an audiolab in dealers demo room but it def had that extra weight .would of won me over if it had tone controls!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I have just brought a Audiolab 8200 from Seavenoaks for 800 quid to use as my main CD player. Fantasic CD player, you will not find a better CD player at that price in my view.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts