Audiolab 8000lx or CA AXA25

Filipe

Aug 16, 2021
Visit site
Hi! Looking for a small system for a home office.

I’m trying to decide between a used Audiolab 8000LX (I don’t use phono) or a new Cambridge Audio AXA25. There’s a big difference in power, but for a small room the 25W from the CA should be enough.

I own a 8000A and like the sound. However it’s over 20yrs old and I start listening to a bit of whispering (specially when turned on), and that got me wondering if a budget new amp would be a better option.l - note that I’llbe keeping that… just looking for a 2nd system.

For speakers I would look into something in the up to €200 range (like the Dali Spektor 2- would need to wait for cyber Monday, as it’s a bit over €200 now).

I will be listening to radio and streaming media - jazz, modern, funk, etnic, dance… around those genders.

what do you think?
Thanks!

Tinman1952

I’m trying to decide between a used Audiolab 8000LX (I don’t use phono) or a new Cambridge Audio AXA25. There’s a big difference in power, but for a small room the 25W from the CA should be enough.

I own a 8000A and like the sound. However it’s over 20yrs old and I start listening to a bit of whispering (specially when turned on), and that got me wondering if a budget new amp would be a better option.l - note that I’llbe keeping that… just looking for a 2nd system.

For speakers I would look into something in the up to €200 range (like the Dali Spektor 2- would need to wait for cyber Monday, as it’s a bit over €200 now).

I will be listening to radio and streaming media - jazz, modern, funk, etnic, dance… around those genders.

what do you think?
Thanks!
Hi! The Audiolab was well regarded when released but it is now over 23 years old! I would be worried about how long it will last without problems….. the new AXA25 is a safer bet and you will have some warranty protection. Nothing wrong with your choice of speakers. The Spektor 2 are excellent for the money. Just be sure to let them run in for several days at least. 👍

View: https://youtu.be/UCNyFdaSqbM

Reactions: Filipe

Filipe

Aug 16, 2021
Visit site

what do you think?
Thanks!

Looks like the Audiolab is gone (sold)... I did a bit of research and found also the audioengine N22 as something budget friendly... would that be a good options? how would you rate it vs the Cambridge Audio (this can be a Audi vs Tesla question... but we should be open minded! ;-) )

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

what do you think?
Thanks!
I might be inclined to keep the 8000A if you like the sound. I have an original Cyrus One bought in late 80s. Still sounds pretty good and clearer than my current budget Onkyo 9010.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts