Audio Technica LP5

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I did state earlier that I have indeed found some excellent examples from my old collection, they just vary.

Here is a quote from that article of a guy who seems to be an expert:

"Vinyl is an old technology, and one that has remained relatively unchanged in the past decade. But that’s because it’s as close as we’ll get to a perfect device for listening to music. It is, to be as straightforward as possible, simply as good as it gets."

D

Deleted member 108165

marb67 said:
I did state earlier that I have indeed found some excellent examples from my old collection, they just vary.

"Vinyl is an old technology, and one that has remained relatively unchanged in the past decade. But that’s because it’s as close as we’ll get to a perfect device for listening to music. It is, to be as straightforward as possible, simply as good as it gets."

Yeah, there's lots of experts out there *biggrin* . Personally, I have the best of all worlds where I can play CD's, downloads (incl hi-rez), and vinyl, each has its strengths and weaknesses. Just choose which one suits your mood at the time then kick back and enjoy.

And get yourself a Knosti!

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
marb67 said:

Yeah, there's lots of experts out there *biggrin* . Personally, I have the best of all worlds where I can play CD's, downloads (incl hi-rez), and vinyl, each has its strengths and weaknesses. Just choose which one suits your mood at the time then kick back and enjoy.

And get yourself a Knosti!

I absolutley agree with you 100%. The best of a few worlds is a great place to be :)

One more thing, I make music and sometimes use the apps on my ipad. They sound stunning on my hifi (Animoog for instance) as the bass is so deep. Can ipads stream hi res audio from Youtube/Spotify ?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
marb67 said:
Interesting points made but again it is all subjective. It's like no digital synth will be as warm, rich as a Moog. Analogue in electronic music will always blow away digital. That is how I thought regarding vinyl v digital in music.

Some of the vinyl from around the very early 70's sounds like an egg and bacon fry up due to poorer quality vinyl because of the Heath energy crisis. I am sure things are a lot better now.

This is an interesting article that states vynyl is better than digital:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-why-vinyl-better-digital/

I disagree about early 70s vinyl, thats when i started to buy it, it went down hill around the mid-late 70s, records got thinner, warped, less quality, in fact I took nearly all mine back and got refunds on them. I don't think it was anything to do with Ted Heath which was coal, it was to do with oil. Oil got more expensive, so did vinyl.

As for that article, think some of its rubbish, Taylor Swift was the biggest selling vinyl album in the USA in 2015. Most music sales are online. As for vinyl sounding exactly as good as the band intended, much of that is down to skill of the vinyl engineer, some are good some are bad, some are just taken from the digital master tapes, sound no better than the cd plus you have all the vinyl problems throw in. This guy does not know what hes talking about, he is just peddling what the young think. Half of which don't even play their records. Vinyl is compressed, otherwise it would not fit onto an lp, unless you only had about 10 minutes each side, and the needle would be jumping around.

If mp3 is so bad why can't people hear the difference?

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~hockman/documents/Pras_presentation2009.pdf

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Bit late to the party but I would personally choose a Project Genie Carbon or Rega RP1 Performance any time over the AT even under the caveat that I have to add a phono stage.

Alternatively one of Technics' Direct Drives or Sony High End Record Decks which can be had for a few hundred in g/c.

BigH said:
marb67 said:
Interesting points made but again it is all subjective. It's like no digital synth will be as warm, rich as a Moog. Analogue in electronic music will always blow away digital. That is how I thought regarding vinyl v digital in music.

Some of the vinyl from around the very early 70's sounds like an egg and bacon fry up due to poorer quality vinyl because of the Heath energy crisis. I am sure things are a lot better now.

This is an interesting article that states vynyl is better than digital:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reasons-why-vinyl-better-digital/

I disagree about early 70s vinyl, thats when i started to buy it, it went down hill around the mid-late 70s, records got thinner, warped, less quality, in fact I took nearly all mine back and got refunds on them. I don't think it was anything to do with Ted Heath which was coal, it was to do with oil. Oil got more expensive, so did vinyl.

As for that article, think some of its rubbish, Taylor Swift was the biggest selling vinyl album in the USA in 2015. Most music sales are online. As for vinyl sounding exactly as good as the band intended, much of that is down to skill of the vinyl engineer, some are good some are bad, some are just taken from the digital master tapes, sound no better than the cd plus you have all the vinyl problems throw in. This guy does not know what hes talking about, he is just peddling what the young think. Half of which don't even play their records. Vinyl is compressed, otherwise it would not fit onto an lp, unless you only had about 10 minutes each side, and the needle would be jumping around.

If mp3 is so bad why can't people hear the difference?

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~hockman/documents/Pras_presentation2009.pdf

Yep, nothing to do with Heath. Vinyl got thinner after the OAPEC oil embargo of 1973 due to American involvement in the Yom Kippur war.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of plain tripe in that article to be honest, and that's me saying it as a vinyl lover. For example, discussing the loudness war, it says:

Because vinyl is an analog format, it’s doesn’t really suffer from the same problems.

The reason LPs generally aren't cut with masters that have been compressed and limited to within an inch of their lives is because the resulting groove would probably be untrackable, possibly uncuttable. It has nothing to do with records being 'analog'. It's actually just a limitation (fortuitous, on this occasion) of the cutting and playing process. You can happily record a compressed-to-death CD or MP3 to tape, which is also analog, and unfortunately (but obviously) it won't undo the damage.

But mostly the whole article is discussing MP3s vs records, not really the full gamut of digital vs records, which remains a pointless debate anyhow, 30 odd years on.

D

Deleted member 108165

marb67 said:
One more thing, I make music and sometimes use the apps on my ipad. They sound stunning on my hifi (Animoog for instance) as the bass is so deep. Can ipads stream hi res audio from Youtube/Spotify ?

Absolutely no idea, you're speaking to a technophobe here, I don't do iThings or streaming of any kind. As for mobile phone thingy, mine is great for waking me up in the morning and sending the occasional text, apart from that I loathe the damned things.

I come on here to learn from the wise sages.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DougK said:
marb67 said:

Absolutely no idea, you're speaking to a technophobe here, I don't do iThings or streaming of any kind. As for mobile phone thingy, mine is great for waking me up in the morning and sending the occasional text, apart from that I loathe the damned things.

Spotify and youtube don't have hi res, its mp3 320 kbps at best. There is no hi res streaming as far I know, the best you will get is cd quality.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
DougK said:
marb67 said:

Spotify and youtube don't have hi res, its mp3 320 kbps at best. There is no hi res streaming as far I know, the best you will get is cd quality.

The reason I asked was because some of the Youtube posted songs, some FLAC format are in HD 1080p

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
marb67 said:
BigH said:
DougK said:
marb67 said:

The reason I asked was because some of the Youtube posted songs, some FLAC format are in HD 1080p

You could be right about youtube, I read before they did not support flac.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
marb67 said:
BigH said:
DougK said:
marb67 said:

I'm by no means an expect regarding this but doesn't HD 1080p refer to picture quality. number of lines etc. HD is not Hi Res in this context?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
BigH said:
marb67 said:
BigH said:
DougK said:
marb67 said:

I'm by no means an expect regarding this but doesn't HD 1080p refer to picture quality. number of lines etc. HD is not Hi Res in this context?

I would think so. Its all sounds the same to me.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how I can stop the horrendous static from my rubber Technics turntable mat when I pull off the record ? A brand new record will get dust strapped to it in no time. I have the fibre grey Technics mat that came with it but was told here to not use it. Why not ?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
marb67 said:
Can anyone tell me how I can stop the horrendous static from my rubber Technics turntable mat when I pull off the record ? A brand new record will get dust strapped to it in no time. I have the fibre grey Technics mat that came with it but was told here to not use it. Why not ?

Could try a cork mat but watch out for thickness differences or you may have problems with your stylus.

D

Deleted member 108165

marb67 said:

The Knosti cured all my static issues. Apparently the rubber mat is the best option when used in a hi-fi setting, the felt mat is for DJ's and or scratching. Try both, it's your deck, and see what you prefer. If the static is that persistent then try grounding the LP on the spindle before you return it to its anti-static sleeve.

DougK said:
marb67 said:

The Knosti cured all my static issues. Apparently the rubber mat is the best option when used in a hi-fi setting, the felt mat is for DJ's and or scratching. Try both, it's your deck, and see what you prefer. If the static is that persistent then try grounding the LP on the spindle before you return it to its anti-static sleeve.

If it's that bad, and I don't see how rubber stores a static charge, then a Zerostat gun might be advisable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts