Audio Technica LP5 vs LP1240

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
There seems to be very few (read zero) website which have pitched these two turntables against each other.

Can somebody give me a quick comparison of the two TTs and what they bring to the game. Both have received high praise from various websites.

AT LP5 vs AT LP1240

priam said:
There seems to be very few (read zero) website which have pitched these two turntables against each other.

Can somebody give me a quick comparison of the two TTs and what they bring to the game. Both have received high praise from various websites.

AT LP5 vs AT LP1240

Probably not compared against each other as basically both cheap Chinese decks attempting to look like something they are not. Pretty much down to which you think looks better. One obviously biased towards would-be DJ's and the other a lot plainer. Both come pre-fitted with the same cartridge.

That's about it really. I am sure you can read reviews for yourself. Personally I'd like someone to but them up against one of the cheaper Regas or Pro-jects, this might be of more interest. ;-)

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I thought ATs were Japs. I've had a look at Regas, especially the RP1, but they seem to have a grounding problem. And the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut seems to have a lot of problems with faulty parts. For the record I have seen AT 120 pitched against AT1240

priam

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
From what I've read, because the Pro-Ject requires hand assembly diy, many people experience bits and pieces that are not perfect, and eventually abandon the entire project.

D

Deleted member 108165

priam said:
From what I've read, because the Pro-Ject requires hand assembly diy, many people experience bits and pieces that are not perfect, and eventually abandon the entire project.

Hand-assembly in the fact that you have to un-box it, attach the belt drive, fit the platter and mat and the bias weight... apart from levelling and cartridge set-up that's it, job done! The only difference between this and the AT is that you don't have to fit a drive belt or bias weight to the AT. One plus point for the AT is that it does have a removeable headshell, which makes cartridge fitting a breeze.

Vinyl playback done well takes patience and some degree of skill, regardless of turntable.... However, the payback is in spades.

D

Deleted member 108165

priam said:
I thought ATs were Japs. I've had a look at Regas, especially the RP1, but they seem to have a grounding problem. And the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut seems to have a lot of problems with faulty parts. For the record I have seen AT 120 pitched against AT1240

Nope, AT decks are made in China by Hanpin along with a plethora of other similar direct-drive decks, including: Stanton, Reloop, Pioneer, etc. Most of the models are aimed at a clone of the mighty Technics decks but all fail miserably at the point of quality control and assembly faults. ALL turntables have their foibles so Rega and Pro-ject are not alone in this respect.

I actually own a Hanpin produced Pioneer PLX1000, a hansome deck and to my ears sounded better than a Pro-ject DC, however the Pioneer suffered with the wobbly platter and gimbal bearing faults that seems to affect most, if not all, Hanpin produced decks. For the record I got absolutely nowhere with Pioneer regarding addressing these issues so I'll never buy another Hanpin deck, or Pioneer product.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
priam said:

'Hand assembly' as in putting the belt and the platter on, and setting up the tonearm with the correct bias and tracking weight? Give over. If customers can't manage this, considering the instructions provided and all the plethora of online help available, then they're better off returning it back to the shop and explaining they're just too f'king stupid to use it.

priam said:

If you cannot attach a drive belt yourself then you really don't want a turntable. :)

Not perfect? What exactly do you refer to. Hanpin clones aren't perfect either. You get what you pay for the saying goes, and this certainly applies when it comes to turntables.

Canguino Purlat

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
priam said:

I bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon but I don't remember any DIY work, apart from install the belt and the platter. But I wouldn't call it DIY... I didn't find any piece that could be "not perfect". Any testimonial? And I don't understand why you talk about "the entire project". Is buying a turntable "a project"? It took me less than 20 minutes to set it up!

Canguino Purlat said:
priam said:

I bought a Pro-ject Debut Carbon but I don't remember any DIY work, apart from install the belt and the platter. But I wouldn't call it DIY... I didn't find any piece that could be "not perfect". Any testimonial? And I don't understand why you talk about "the entire project". Is buying a turntable "a project"? It took me less than 20 minutes to set it up!

Hear, hear. Anyone that ships a turntable fully made up and with platter in place deserves to be avoided.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Canguino Purlat said:
priam said:

I agree. I too own a Debut Carbon and setup was a breeze. There are also plenty of youtube video's on how to set up the turntable for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mggO6w2hDtk

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
You have got some good advice on this thread and I recommend you consider it carefully, however, if you are determined to buy a deck made in the far East, then my choice would be the TEAC TN 300, it gets good reviews, made of quality parts. belt drive, and the Bergundy red one looks a treat. You will however have to asseble the parts and fit the belt, but its logical and real easy. All ears is right, don't buy ready assembled decks especially off the NET. Find a dealer and have a chat

Pete

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
priam said:

AT LP5 vs AT LP124

what hifi gave the 1240 a very good 4 star review and i do think a lot of people use so called direct drive dj decks for hifi use due to superb build quality and good sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts