Audio Quality of Nvidia RTX 3080 HDMI Audio vs High Quality DAC and More

jdubzisbaked

Jul 7, 2021
Visit site
I couldn't find any data about SnR distortion while using my graphics cards HDMI audio. The maximum audio signal outputs at 24bit 192kHz and I just am unsure if I should introduce a higher quality audio device to run into my Yamaha RX-V6A. I tried a cheap 32bit 384kHz type-C usb DAC meant for phones and then output through a trrs 3.5mm cable to RCA and I noticed no difference.

Could someone help me figure out if I could increase quality buy using a USB DAC? I mostly stream from Amazon Music (because I get it for $0.99 a month). I used to use Tidal but did not like MQA and found Amazon sounded better IMHO.

Also, does anyone see the worth of moving to an Emotiva 5 Channel Amp and using the RX-V6a as a pre-out, or even getting the Emotiva amp and a different pre amp.

Speakers are: Front L/R - Triangle BR08, Center - Klipsch RC-62 II (replacing very soon for either Definitive Demand D5C or KEF mQ600C) , Surround Rear L/R - KEF Q350

Lastly, any advice on whether to go with the Definitive Tech Demand D5C Center or the KEF Q600C?

jdubzisbaked

Jul 7, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for all the recommendations. I shouldn't have asked a question that required people to do something other than say what song they like today. Never expected the world to come to my feet and bow down while giving me millions of configuration recommendations. But, I guess I thought maybe one person had a clue what I'm talking about and was able to deliver their experience with a similar config to recommend what worked best for them. High hopes I had

Thanks for all the recommendations. I shouldn't have asked a question that required people to do something other than say what song they like today. Never expected the world to come to my feet and bow down while giving me millions of configuration recommendations. But, I guess I thought maybe one person had a clue what I'm talking about and was able to deliver their experience with a similar config to recommend what worked best for them. High hopes I had
I looked at your question, like I expect many others did, but I’m unfamiliar with PC Cards and output devices. They’re aren’t Hifi to me, though they obviously serve a purpose.

You added complication with AV amps, and then centre speakers. All a bit challenging to unpick. Perhaps ask about USB DACs first, and where are you located? Most of your kit looks US focussed, and markets are very different.

There are numerous low-cost DACs from the likes of Topping that get enthusiastic reviews from buyers. Can you buy one to try from a store or internet retailer?

Dom

HDMI shouldn't have distortion of any kind because of the way HDMI works. And I think it's a fine way to receive audio.
Buying another DAC could increase audio quality. A Chord Qutest or Denafrips Ares II could do that, but the DAC in your receiver should be really good.
I hope I've helped and don't usually respond to posts because I my lack of knowledge.

insider9

Not sure the second post is doing you any favours but most of us here are adults so as you see from replies above we'll easily move past that. I had a clue and was typing a reply the other day then life got in the way.

Audio over HDMI is digital not analogue. I would not expect to see SNR quoted in specs. Also SNR isn't distortion not the same as THD even if you think of THD+N. Regardless, your existing DAC is doing a job. How good of a job is for you to tell us.

The rest depends on how discerning your ear is how far you're prepared to go. As suggested above might be worth to tackle these separately and slowly after all you're relying on others to commit their time to help you which we'll gladly do if you show enough patience.

Friesiansam

If you are going to ask for help in a forum, you need to remember it may be a day or two, or longer, before the right person looks in and sees your question.

insider9

There is a DAC in your PC, try to find the brand/model.
I wouldn't even bother. Most motherboards are way too noisy and analogue stages are generally not very good. It's likely to be a low level CS DAC which in itself could sound ok but with all I've said above it's unlikely it will. Going via HDMI to a DAC way the OP does is going to give better results almost no matter what DAC will be used.

Friesiansam

No surprise as the Nvidia RTX 3080 is a GPU.
A GPU won't convert audio to analog to state the very very obvious.
There is a DAC in your PC, try to find the brand/model.
Actually, new Nvidia graphics cards, since 2010, do have onboard audio. Supported standards here: ttps://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2796/~/which-hdmi-audio-formats-do-nvidia-gpus-support?

I'm not sure about the quality but, my GTX1070ti feeds my monitor's speakers via DisplayPort and the monitor does not have a DAC, although I rarely use them. I can't comment on AMD graphics, although I assume they have the same facility.

Friesiansam

Sure they do support a lot of formats over HDMI (digital)
But this tells nothing about the DAC used "somewhere"

If I look at this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3080.c3621 it is a impressive GPU but it don't see any spec of a DAC
In order to try and confirm or otherwise what I said in my last post, on my PC, I disabled the motherboard audio in the BIOS, so it is unavailable to the operating system. It has, effectively, ceased to exist as far as Windows is concerned. Audio to my monitor's speakers, via the GPU, is still working. The only connection between the monitor and PC is a DisplayPort cable to the GPU.

EDIT: After doing further research, I have to admit this is rather puzzling and, I can find no mention of the identity of any GPU based DAC. However, with the motherboard onboard sound processing disabled and, no sound card installed, there is no other source available to send a sound output to the monitor, which has no DAC of it's own.

Last edited:

Tinman1952

I couldn't find any data about SnR distortion while using my graphics cards HDMI audio. The maximum audio signal outputs at 24bit 192kHz and I just am unsure if I should introduce a higher quality audio device to run into my Yamaha RX-V6A. I tried a cheap 32bit 384kHz type-C usb DAC meant for phones and then output through a trrs 3.5mm cable to RCA and I noticed no difference.

Could someone help me figure out if I could increase quality buy using a USB DAC? I mostly stream from Amazon Music (because I get it for $0.99 a month). I used to use Tidal but did not like MQA and found Amazon sounded better IMHO.

Also, does anyone see the worth of moving to an Emotiva 5 Channel Amp and using the RX-V6a as a pre-out, or even getting the Emotiva amp and a different pre amp.

Speakers are: Front L/R - Triangle BR08, Center - Klipsch RC-62 II (replacing very soon for either Definitive Demand D5C or KEF mQ600C) , Surround Rear L/R - KEF Q350

Lastly, any advice on whether to go with the Definitive Tech Demand D5C Center or the KEF Q600C?
Going back to your original post…..
Your excellent Yamaha receiver has MusicCast ability. So unless I am mistaken the current MusicCast app allows direct connection to Amazon Music over your network….🤔

SoppingClam

Feb 9, 2023
Visit site
Hi, as I was looking up what kind of DAC might be included in my RTX 3080 Ti this forum popped up. But yes indeed nvidia and probably amd/ati have am audio DAC and via the hdmi cable transmits it to the device on the other end...

Graphic cards have had onboard DACs built in to them for a long time. The HDMI signal uses this instead of your onboard DAC or soundcard when using say nvidia hdmi audio Wait…
My GPU is a Sound Card? - Probing Paul #51 - YouTube

older document from Nvidia (2014) but explains the specs and such

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts