Attenuators - yes or no? Discuss.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently bought some 10db attenuators from eBay and available from his website (I have no affiliation whatsoever) called 'Goldenjacks' as one of my Rothwells broke, and I decided to give these a spin. I must say the mid range has come to life and these are really well engineered little transparent gems for £24.00 inclusive. What do people think about this solution - it works for me - amplifier working more efficiently, volume control more subtle and using more range of the pot, can be used CD to integrated amp or pre to power amp. The principle is the same idea Russ Andrews has for interconnects. Any thoughts?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
now this is sure to be interesting - never tried them but i like the science and idea behind them and could understand why they could work but sure some ppl will say they don't - might have to try for myself

A

Anonymous

Im a convert, I bought the same ones from ebay and they work great between CA amp (I was having the slight balance problem) and CDp. Just got to remember to turn down volume when I turn to vinyl.

A

Anonymous

Nicer, cleaner sound if that makes any sense - more transparency. I like them.

By the way, who subscribes to the 'burn in' theories for cables, equipment etc? I certainly do.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GWindy"]Im a convert, I bought the same ones from ebay and they work great between CA amp (I was having the slight balance problem) and CDp. Just got to remember to turn down volume when I turn to vinyl.[/quote]

Could you use a set on turntable too - not sure if 14db ones would do the trick?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]well thought for £25 quid would give them a blast - always willing to try for myself[/quote]

Having been up and down the chain of expensive interconnects (Chord Anthem to Atlas Equator via Van Den Hul), spikes, tweaks, etc. I agree as I think this is a great cost effective tryout at least. Russ Andrews' versions are £90, and Rothwell £39 (Male RCA never quite sat correctly on these whereas the Goldenjacks do).

A

Anonymous

I made my own variable attenuated leads using ganged 10k linear pots bought on ebay for £3. I can now match up the levels from each source and eliminate the distortion I was getting on overly loud CDs like REM's Reveal.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]Could you use a set on turntable too - not sure if 14db ones would do the trick?[/quote]

Only on the line level output from a phono preamp.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]By the way, who subscribes to the 'burn in' theories for cables, equipment etc? I certainly do.[/quote]

It's a marketing ploy. Speakers improve with use but that's as far as it goes.

A

Anonymous

Monster rep told us to say cables have a 'break-in period' when we suspected customers might return the product.

A

Anonymous

lf the output of your Cdp needs reducing, then yes, l can recommend Goldenjacks.

My amps (Biamped Arcams) didn't alow for much above the 9 'o' clock position on the volume pot, 10 for loud listening. With the introduction of -10db attenuators, the amps are performing better across the range, but particularly the mids.

Seem to use good quality materials & the build is very good.

The locking barrel design really gives a good snug fit.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chesterfieldhouse"]

The locking barrel design really gives a good snug fit.
[/quote]

That should be standard on all cables and interconnects. :D

A

Anonymous

Perhaps -14dB was a bit much as those are for amps with a sensitivity of 75 to 150 millivolts or so?

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Don't think so as amps are[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]Perhaps -14dB was a bit much as those are for amps with a sensitivity of 75 to 150 millivolts or so?[/quote] rotel rb971 & 981 bi amped. The sensitivity fell into the -14db category. The attenuators worked ok with my old arcam alpha 7se cd player. When I upgraded to Arcam cd192 the sound suffered as it was flat, but brilliant without attenuators. Have tried swapping back to attenuators a few times and it allows greater use of volume control with, but sound seems to suffer compared to when no attenuators

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]Well my pair of Goldenjacks arrived promptly this morning so will be trying out later - will let you know how I get on[/quote]

Great, I'd be interested to hear a real live bod's thoughts rather than reading old forums etc. - what is your kit by the way?

If you believe in burn in - give them time, if not - enjoy straight away ;-)

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
had them plugged in for a couple of hours now - first thing noticied seemed good solid build and everything fits together snuggly - def makes volume adjustments more subtle especially at low volumes - i thought initially bass definition lost so took them out again then realised bass not gone just midrange far more open - vocal driven music seems very open - vocals very clear - somewhat more real and believable - Adele, Beautiful South, Blondie - bad recordings for example hard fi stars of cctv - great album sounds terrible but always did everything just over blown - some of my indy stuff the twang/little man tate just seems much easier to listen too better seperation. Will swap them in and out more at wend as have some friends coming round so would be good to get a second opinion as my girlfriend just doesn't get it.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
kit is roksan kandy cd player, amp and power amp - chord chameleon silver interconnects - chord company odyssey 4 speaker cable - and monitor audio RS8s - recently changed all cables and initially though all sounded too bright - quite like it now but not sure if that cause ears got acustomed to it was going to swap stuff around again at weekend to test as still have all my old stuff

A

Anonymous

I use them, plugged in to the power amp inputs, I tried into the pre which was better, but into the poweramp was a double bonus. much lower noise floor, lots of volume range and a much more open midrange.

Not a subtle improvement.

10/10 ;-)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matengawhat"]kit is roksan kandy cd player, amp and power amp - chord chameleon silver interconnects - chord company odyssey 4 speaker cable - and monitor audio RS8s - recently changed all cables and initially though all sounded too bright - quite like it now but not sure if that cause ears got acustomed to it was going to swap stuff around again at weekend to test as still have all my old stuff[/quote]

Good review the post above this one - be good to hear your friend's opinions too. Totally agree with the mid-range comments. I played Genesis Seconds Out remaster today, and it just sounds more organic, more 'live'

The silver might be a bit bright on the RS8s - not sure myself as I have copper but I've read a fair bit about this......... :)

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Tried attenuators again using Deep Purple's Burn CD, again sounded as if something lacking in the energy of the music. Ian Paice's drums sounding like carboard boxes. Tried without attenuators and drum kit is back. I want to like this product having forked out for them, but feel the life is missing from the music. Will keep trying and see if I can grow to love them.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Is it the mid-range back and more prominent in the mix ??

Try a few CDs and a mix of styles and age/quality. Remember that some CDs are 'better' than others, or even just different sounding on differing equipment - on my old Arcam CD72 David Gray 'A New Day at Midnight' sounded great - less so on my CD93 but still overall good................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts