Attention Clare, Andrew or The Prof

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
As the 3 most experienced on here, what do YOU think of the argument that's been raging about this....

It's version 1.3b, 24k gold plated, triple-shielded, pvc jacket and outer nylon sheath, high-density braiding, EMI and RFI shielded, 99.99% OFC, gas-injected dielectric material....... AND £3.99!!!!! I've determined that it's ATC approved as well as the other British standards.. Poor at lasting the distance?? Any HDMI, if continually plugged and unplugged will loosen the connection, won't it? If you plug in and leave, it should be ok??

I've got a couple and they seem top-drawer to me... that is, I can't see how a much more expensive lead can make much more difference.

Someone said before that they're probably made in the same factory, and they probably ARE. I have bought mobile phones off the internet that are definitely made in the Samsung factory as they ARE Samsung, just with a different sticker on the front, making them cheaper.

What do you think?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:Yes!

Ah, well, I must have missed it - I'm not on these forums much...

And to answer your question, at £3.99 do you really need to know anyone else's opinion? Just buy them, try them and if they're rubbish bin them.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree with you, but is that the spec of a much higher priced cable? Which begs the question, are we being ripped off when we pay £70 for a cable? Is the £3.99 one just as good? And if not, why?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:
most experienced at avoiding the question.......

I didn't think I was that good at this. Mind you, I have been trying harder recently...
emotion-13.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:Davo2008: most experienced at avoiding the question.......
I didn't think I was that good at this. Mind you, I have been trying harder recently...
emotion-13.gif

For a minute there I thought the mag had signed you up!

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I've just emailed the guy myself. I fully expect him to send you a lead. Would you really get one off those guys that live underground to give it a test?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:the_lhc:For a minute there I thought the mag had signed you up!
They're more than welcome to - I'm getting quite bored of IT...
emotion-5.gif

Tell me about it! I'm currently a NetBackup monkey. It's a little... dry...

jerryyeatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
For £4 I'm considering buying one to send to WHF for testing. It would be worth it if it helps put this one to bed...

I'm keen to know how WHF test them though.

From my thoughts about this procedure you would have to:

1. Do a data test. Are bits out the same as bits in? I don't know if WHF have such a piece of test equipment.

2. Use 1 screen and 1 blu-ray player. Use the SAME input on the screen each time a different cable is tested. Using different inputs won't prove anything as each input can have different settings.

3. Choose a sequence of a blu-ray movie and put that sequence on A - B repeat so exactly the same sequence is playing over and over.

4. The tester should not know how many different cables are on test.

5. The tester should be informed when the cable has been replaced and this should include instances of the cable NOT being replaced so that the tester thinks there is a different cable when there is not. The tester may therefore be under the impression that numerous cables are on test.

6. The tester must obviously not be able to see any part of the physical cable in any way.

7. Testers should run through this procedure individually without knowing other testers impressions.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
You're in the wwrong job! You should apply as one of those clipboard people in the WHF cave! I'm with you. If this guy hasn't responded, it may be worth just buying one to give to WHF, if they'll test it. Seriously, I think it's a quality cable. I'll be amazed if it gets a bad review....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the pointer to this product. I've just ordered the hdmi to dvi version of the cable to see what my laptop looks like on my 42PZ80B. For £3.99 it's got to be worth a punt! I'll report back on speed of delivery and whether or not the cable works.
emotion-5.gif

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Nice one. Is it the same as the HDMI lead, just with different attachments? My leads arrived quickly and work fantastic. Which is why I want them tested.... and no, I'm not the seller!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
There was no argument, just a discussion. I thought that was what forums were for but it seems that the OP didn't like the fact the 'Big Three' hadn't responded, so started another thread about a thread.......

Yawn

A

Anonymous

Davo2008:Is it the same as the HDMI lead, just with different attachments?

DVI on one end of the lead, to plug directly into the DVI graphics port on a computer, and HDMI on the other end to plug into a TV. DVI does not carry sound, so seperate connections are required if you need sound from the computer through the TV. The product in question is
here.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Agreed that "argument" was over-dramatic and posssibly I get a little exciteable, however I don't apologise for wanting an opinion from someone who does this for a living. Surely the whole reason for WHF existing is to give people advice, so you'll have to forgive me for feeling less than thrilled at your response.

However, it's your "yawn" comment that gets my back up, big-time.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Davo2008:
Agreed that "argument" was over-dramatic and posssibly I get a little exciteable, however I don't apologise for wanting an opinion from someone who does this for a living. Surely the whole reason for WHF existing is to give people advice, so you'll have to forgive me for feeling less than thrilled at your response.

However, it's your "yawn" comment that gets my back up, big-time.

OK, let's stop the sniping before it begins, or it's thread lock time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts