atc scm11

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
So, I´m building the system around the yamaha s500, which heard is great. will the atc scm11 be a good match? mainly classical and jazz, and wouls like great detail at low volume too.

tx

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I feel that the SCM11's need much more current than the average amp can provide. The AS500 will drive them, but you're looking at amps like their own SIA2-150 in order to allow them to perform nearer to their norm, and to produce the sort of dynamics tenure actually capable of. At minimum, you're looking at Naim Nait XS, although the new Audiolab 8200a actually does a pretty good job - it will be interesting to try the new 8200 pre/power.

I would look at something a little more efficient - higher efficiency speakers tend to sound a little more lively, and lively speakers tend to sound better for lower level listening. Try KEF's Q300, or if you don't mind floorstanders, try the Q500 or Q700. I know it might sound like I'm over-hyping this new Q series, but I'm really struggling to find alternatives for certain scenarios. I'll be testing out the AS500 thoroughly next week to see which speakers it suits, and where it's limits lie regarding how good a speaker they can cope with. I would strongly recommend the KEF's. WHF will have a review of the Q300's in the next issue (I believe), so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
da_grudge:
Also thinking about Dynaudio Excite X12 (Stereophile runner-up) or the Dynaudio 2/6

Thank you

While I'd say the Dynaudios are livelier and easier than the ATC's to drive, they are a 4ohm load, which will demand much more from the amplifier to perform, regardless of the volume. The Excite range will be a little out of the Yamaha's league, but the 2 series will be fine.

The best thing to do is pop along to your local dealer and try a few models out.

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Wow. thank you so much for your answer. I don~t mind at all floorstand speakers. actually would like to know what are the major differences between them and standmount..

When you do the tests please put them here. Thank you so much.

P.S. What about the dyanudios?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have the 2/6's in store, the ATC's, the KEF's, plenty of Monitor Audio and Bowers & Wilkins, some Acoustic Energy and some ProAc to test the AS500 with - as well as other stuff that'll be out of it's league. I'll certainly post up what I think - I just need to find some time to do it now!

A

Anonymous

i think musicraft has a pair of ex dem excite 12's going for £350..great price, a shame they seemingly wont work to their optimum with an as-500...

da_grudge:

but the excite are better or not than the 2/6 or 2/7?

The yamaha is too good or not good enough for the excite?

thnks

Both speaker brands won't suit the Yamaha. Here's my theory, for what it's worth: The ATCs need vast amounts of current and/or power to hear them at their very best. Th Dyns, on the other hand, need an acre of space - they hate being played close to a wall. Although both are very competent monitors, each introduces it's own demands on an amp. I don't think the Yamaha is good enough for those speakers....

Why those speakers, anyway?

da_grudge

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
well, actually I didn§t try these speakers, i just heard they were very good. The excite was runner-up on stereophile 2010, for what is worth...

anyway what do u recommend me so? I just want something great for classical jazz lot of detail and good at low volume (i had the rs6 and didnït like because of that. had to put it loud to sound great.)

da_grudge:

well, actually I didn§t try these speakers, i just heard they were very good. The excite was runner-up on stereophile 2010, for what is worth...

anyway what do u recommend me so? I just want something great for classical jazz lot of detail and good at low volume (i had the rs6 and didnït like because of that. had to put it loud to sound great.)

I would recommend Focal (standmount and floorstanders are equally as good as any brand), Monitor Audio and Epos. All these speakers sound good close to the wall and are not demanding on the amp.

da_grudge:well I actually dont have problems with the wall. even so, maybe i will try to hear some focal. any suggestion?

I would start with the entry-level floorstander 714V and then standmounted 706V (I think). But your local Focal dealer should have various models there. Ask for his recommendation.

Good luck, pp

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:da_grudge:

I would recommend Focal (standmount and floorstanders are equally as good as any brand), Monitor Audio and Epos. All these speakers sound good close to the wall and are not demanding on the amp.
emotion-8.gif

RossTT

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Monitor Audio RX close to a wall is a definite NO. On the other hand, I have ATC SCM11 driven by Creek Evo 2 Amp and couldn't be happier. The SCMs replaced MA RX1 and Evo 2 will soon be replaced by Evo 5350.

maxflinn:plastic penguin:da_grudge:

emotion-8.gif

My RS6s play excellently without any boom just 6 or 7" from the wall.

A

Anonymous

rx1's. rx2's, br5's, and rx6's dont pp, i could put my rx6's close enough, but they could get tiresome there.. i certainly wouldnt say "monitor audio's work well close to a wall"..

RossTT

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, there are front ported. The same goes for BR & BX series but they are not worth considering (been there). I only mentioned RX 1/2 series, which sound massively different >1 m away from the wall.

maxflinn:rx1's. rx2's, br5's, and rx6's dont pp, i could put my rx6's close enough, but they could get tiresome there.. i certainly wouldnt say "monitor audio's work well close to a wall"..

Remember, remember (you're a Womble... no sorry, just Saturday morning jollification.) You have granite flooring from the pics you downloaded. whereas I have thick carpets and wallpaper. But I've always said that room acoustics....

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
maxflinn:rx1's. rx2's, br5's, and rx6's dont pp, i could put my rx6's close enough, but they could get tiresome there.. i certainly wouldnt say "monitor audio's work well close to a wall"..

Remember, remember (you're a Womble... no sorry, just Saturday morning jollification.) You have granite flooring from the pics you downloaded. whereas I have thick carpets and wallpaper. But I've always said that room acoustics....

couldnt agree more re. room acoustics pp, i dont know much about hifi but i know they play a major role in proceedings..

anyways.enjoy your saturday..
emotion-4.gif

wombles_450x350.jpg

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i'd recommend you demo for yourself, rather then pay too much attention to people who've never heard the kit they are commenting on.

A

Anonymous

Indeed, don't rule the ATCs and Dynaudios out until you've heard them on the amp in question. Demos never seem to play out as I expect beforehand.

A

Anonymous

rick has been using the yam with dynaudio 2/7s and really likes the combo..

maxflinn:plastic penguin:

couldnt agree more re. room acoustics pp, i dont know much about hifi but i know they play a major role in proceedings..

anyways.enjoy your saturday..
emotion-4.gif

wombles_450x350.jpg

Where did you find that photo of me?
emotion-2.gif

I'll probably not enjoy today - My daughter is having her birthday party, 10 other 7 and 8 year olds screaming and yelling....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts