ATC scm11 or Spendor A5 with Cambridge 840A v2?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
ATC scm11 or Spendor A5 with Cambridge 840A v2? I will be going to a dealer (not yet arranged) to have a demo .

I will take the CA 840A v2 with me. I currently have a Denon cd player and epos es14 speakers.

I would just value people's opinion on the prospective matching of the above equipment.

Thank you tonky

Hi tonky

I'll recommend ATC's SCM11 monitors. I've got quite a few clients who are happily using Cambridge Audio amplification (including 840A V2) with SCM11 and other ATC passive monitors.

The SCM11 monitors with their massively engineered CLD (Constrained Layer Damping) mid/bass drive unit (as also used in ATC's SCM16 Professional monitors) have (amongst their other qualities) an uncoloured, clear, precise and natural presentation will enable the qualities of your Cambridge amplifier and Denon cd player to shine through by enabling them to breathe.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tonky:
ATC scm11 or Spendor A5 with Cambridge 840A v2? I will be going to a dealer (not yet arranged) to have a demo .

I will take the CA 840A v2 with me. I currently have a Denon cd player and epos es14 speakers.

I would just value people's opinion on the prospective matching of the above equipment.

Thank you tonky

Are there any other choices? The number one thing to consider is, we will all have opinions but none will have the same ears as you. I had the 840A v1 for a few years and loved it. It's a powerful amp with great accuracy as I'm sure you know. I listened to the ATC 11s at What HiFi Tower during the Big Question last year. The electronics were Cyrus 6 combo. I was not impressed. However, this could have been because of the Cyrus gear. I know a lot of people think Cambridge Audio and think bright. I didn't find the 840 bright at all but the Cyrus/ATC combo was too much in the treble for me. I've read the ATC speakers are anything but bright so again, it could have been the Cyrus gear. I've not heard the A5s but they are nice looking and tiny! And most of all, they are supposed to be very good.

Also, have you thought about looking for an ex demo bargain? I bought my speakers recently for £1575 and they are spotless. They are now retailing at £2500!

Gerrardasnails:tonky:

Thank you tonky

Are there any other choices? The number one thing to consider is, we will all have opinions but none will have the same ears as you. I had the 840A v1 for a few years and loved it. It's a powerful amp with great accuracy as I'm sure you know. I listened to the ATC 11s at What HiFi Tower during the Big Question last year. The electronics were Cyrus 6 combo. I was not impressed. However, this could have been because of the Cyrus gear. I know a lot of people think Cambridge Audio and think bright. I didn't find the 840 bright at all but the Cyrus/ATC combo was too much in the treble for me. I've read the ATC speakers are anything but bright so again, it could have been the Cyrus gear. I've not heard the A5s but they are nice looking and tiny! And most of all, they are supposed to be very good. Also, have you thought about looking for an ex demo bargain? I bought my speakers recently for £1575 and they are spotless. They are now retailing at £2500!

I think budget Cambridge amps are a livewire, but your old 840 is tonally more even. As you said, the OP needs to listen to a couple of extra brands to see which ones sound the best to him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts