ATC SCM7, 11, 19 with Rega Elicit-R in small Room?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I mis-wrote my room dimensions in an earlier post in this thread. They are 3m x 4m so similar to yours. Interesting to hear LS50's suffering from bass boom, they are also on the list to try. Struggling to find a local dealer that stocks the SCM11's for a demo but the reviews and forum chat I've read on them sound like a great fit for my room with the dynamic, clear, detailed sound I'm after. Am tempted to give them a go blind and then try build my system around. the Cambridge Audio cxa60 and Rega Elex R are also on the list. Not sampled Naim's sound before but they seem to have a passionate following, amp wise feels like they serve up quite a range - I do have a local dealers for the amps.

Have missed having a serious hifi for the 2-3 years, I've lived off a B&W A7 during that time so looking forward to getting back on the bus :)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Have you read the results of the recent "bake-off" - maybe you should listen to some EV Sentries before splashing out on ATC! ;-)

they won't listen.. they keep talking about way overpriced ATC then some middleman ( the same guy who let you spend silly money on amps and speakers in his shop and then ridicule you on hifi forum) advertise Hegel..

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
thewinelake. said:
Have you read the results of the recent "bake-off" - maybe you should listen to some EV Sentries before splashing out on ATC! ;-)

they won't listen.. they keep talking about way overpriced ATC then some middleman ( the same guy who let you spend silly money on amps and speakers in his shop and then ridicule you on hifi forum) advertise Hegel..
i dont think the atc scm 7,s ; are over priced,the driver alone , is far superior than the drivers on most, under £800 bookcase speakers ; the nearest speaker to compare the atc scm7 with is ; The Harbeth P3ESR at £1500 or the spendor SA1 at about £1400! so i dont think the atc scm7 is overpriced at all.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm an ex ATC user ( SCM11, 19 and active 40s).. of course ATC is overpiced.. you can get similar school of sound and cheaper from AVI.. ever heard of them?

for the record: I think Harbeth and Spendor are overpriced too or not so good value for money if you like.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
They use in-house quality components for all their speakers. Personally I don't like their sound, but I'd never deny their quality. Same for Harbeth and Spendor.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Have you read the results of the recent "bake-off" - maybe you should listen to some *AVI DM10's* before splashing out on ATC! ;-)

Tim2010

According to the bake off feedback, it was agreed that the DM10's put the ATC and Hegel H360 combo to the sword. Just add a small external preamp for your small room and you're sorted and quids in! ;-)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
They use in-house quality components for all their speakers. Personally I don't like their sound, but I'd never deny their quality. Same for Harbeth and Spendor.

yup, can be difficult, I know... anyway, you can get better ( although similar school) sound for less money, ergo - ATC is overpriced,

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
How can you possibly make comments like that? People do have different tastes, you know. Some people might (and do) love the sound of ATC speakers, just as people like Spendor , Harbeth, KEF etc. Some people like the sound of your current speakers, some people don't, that's life.

I'm pretty sure you'd like the sound of my speakers, they are easily the best in their class to my ears - note, I've not heard Magico though - but you may well find them too understated. It really is a matter of taste. Always audition and compare is my advice. There are an awful lot of exceptionally good speakers out there, including some active ones, too.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
atc and avi are very similar.. avi take atc sound step further.. better clarity, stereo image and overall balance ( and for less money and that was my point)

comprehension skills failed... again?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I want to make this very clear.

Under no circumstance should anyone ever spend more than £200 on ATC SCM 11's (with a view to keeping them, as opposed to selling them on for a quick profit).

If they spend more than that, they have made an incorrect buying decision.

This is not down to personal taste. It's a simple statement of fact.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
atc and avi are very similar.. avi take atc sound step further.. better clarity, stereo image and overall balance ( and for less money and that was my point)

comprehension skills failed... again?
Your logic is failing you. That's YOUR opinion. Others may, and probably do, disagree. You should also bear in mind ATC make their stuff in house, and that contributes to the cost, as does development, testing etc, they don't just buy inexpensive drivers from other countries and bung them in boxes.

They also make a complete range of professional and HiFi speakers, produce passive and active speakers, and also contributed to the development of active systems and crossovers. They are a highly credible company, and, I'm afraid, even if you don't like the sound you need to realise the aforementioned development and engineering don't come cheap, which has to be reflected in prices.

It's the way of the world, unfortunately.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
alert for all the new members in this thread: avole is known on AVI unofficial forum as 'half man half vole' and he's a common AVI hater & troll.

he presented himself as 'half man half vole' however his 100% vole therefore his credibility as a commentator on any audio related matters is lost;

his most recent photograph ( sorry for poor quality, it was taken underground in natural vole habitat)

255B3CD400000578-0-image-a-3_1423132535395.jpg

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
You know what I'm saying is correct, but seem to have difficulty coping with it. You'll get there, don't worry !

Back to to topic, as mentioned, audition and compare, it's the only way to go. Pays to listen for an extended period, too, as what sounds impressively detailed and clear in the shop may become hard on the ears after an hour or so. I found that out early with some Triangle speakers. Good speakers, but 20 minutes was all I could take.

You also need to audition at home, if possible. I brought some Dynaudios home once which sounded like magic in the shop. At home, in our sparsely furnished room - the bass was just overwhelming. Tried lots of things, but, after 2 days, had to take them back. It was a salutary lesson.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
avole said:
You know what I'm saying is correct, but seem to have difficulty coping with it. You'll get there, don't worry !

Back to to topic, as mentioned, audition and compare, it's the only way to go. Pays to listen for an extended period, too, as what sounds impressively detailed and clear in the shop may become hard on the ears after an hour or so. I found that out early with some Triangle speakers. Good speakers, but 20 minutes was all I could take.

You also need to audition at home, if possible. I brought some Dynaudios home once which sounded like magic in the shop. At home, in our sparsely furnished room - the bass was just overwhelming. Tried lots of things, but, after 2 days, had to take them back. It was a salutary lesson.
I totally agree ,a home audition is absolutely essential, I listened to a pair of b&w cm1,s in a small demo room they were great, a punchy;dynamic bass sound,the shop owner let me borrow them ,As he knew me well, in my room they was a horrendous, boomy muddy mess, sounded like a different speaker.so from now on I will always home demo!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts