ATC SCM11, B&W 805S or Proac D Two on Cyrus 8vs2? Please advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am planning to replace my existing floorstand speaker (Ruark Prologue II) with bookself speaker as my listening area is small (arround 10x12 feet) and I found the treble is sharp and the sound become booming when I turn to the volume to medium level. I have short list the caption bookshelf speaker to pair with my Cyrus Amp. Please kindly advice which will be the best choice when pair with my Amp. I cannot audit the pairing in the showroom as the speaker dealer didn't have Cyrus. I mainly listen to Classical Music which include Chamber to Big Orchestra, Vocal and piano / vilion Sonatas. Thus, my ideal speaker could able to create great sound stage with refinement sound. Please help and input your comments, thanks.

John Duncan

You should add Spendor (SA1 and S3/5r) and PMC (DB1i) to your list, as well as some other models in the ProAC range - the Tablette Reference 8 Signature, for example, is spectacular. Totem standmounts (the Rainmaker for starters) are well-regarded around here as well.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]You should add Spendor (SA1 and S3/5r)[/quote]
...aw, you beat me to it this time...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Would deffo recommend the Tablette ref 8 Signature. Detailed, smooth, sweet treble with a sound that belies their small size.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Would deffo recommend the Tablette ref 8 Signature. Detailed, smooth, sweet treble with a sound that belies their small size.[/quote]
Listen to us, we're all sales people...anyone would think we're on commission...

Spendor are the way to go BTW...

A

Anonymous

...hmm, Web researching those Proac D2s I'd be tempted to say that they're exceptionally good. Pricey and a little ugly though!

A

Anonymous

Forget the rainmaker, it's not in the same weightclass as the aforementioned. But when spending this amount of money you'd probably want to audition the Model 1 Signature and "the one." They're really top-notch kit, worth a try.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've had ruark myself (sabres) and remember the prologue though its been a long time since I've heard a pair.

Ok, I go along with all the previous suggestions but like to add one, although with one caveat, its a floorstander but read on if you can ...

In a friends hifi retail outlet we regularely pair the cyrus 8vs2 and player with totems/dynaudios/ushers/MA/B&W/Missions etc., depending if an audition is about to take place or if its just us playing around and the speakers that always stand out as an almost perfect (is anything?) match are Rega's offerings. Countless times have I heard the cyrus'es with the companies R3/R5 and have never found them wanting in any way. Open, punchy, refined with a lovely sweet treble ... you get my drift. Its a tiny floorstander and one of the few speakers that does'nt (sometimes) sound boomy with the 8vs2, and it really is the only slight criticism I personally would level at what otherwise is a great amp. The footprint/height is about the same as a small standmount with stands so no difference there. Some more good news, its only £500 or a bit less with discount. If you can I'd advise have a listen mate.

A

Anonymous

I agree with the Rega R3/R5 suggestion but with the budget you seem to have I would _probably_ aim for more detail...see how it works out, damn good speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]
I agree with the Rega R3/R5 suggestion but with the budget you seem to have I would _probably_ aim for more detail...see how it works out, damn good speakers.
[/quote]

Oh yes, I forgot he has spendor too. Still have'nt had a chance to listen to yours though
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="igglebert"]

[/quote]

Oh yes, I forgot he has spendor too. Still have'nt had a chance to listen to yours though
emotion-6.gif

[/quote]
Ha ha, well, I love them but I can understand if others think that they not strong all-rounders. Always worth a try!

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the input, I will add Spendor, PMC, Rega and Proac 1SC and R8S into my list. However, some Hi Fi sales people in my country advice that ATC SCM11 and B&W 805S are difficult to drive. Especially for ATC SCM11, people advice this speaker will only be good when the pairing Amp. which have at least 100W output, is this correct?
For Spendor and Rega is not a very popular in my country (Hong Kong), please also kindly advice those models is easy to drive?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="GalaxyB"] However, some Hi Fi sales people in my country advice that ATC SCM11 and B&W 805S are difficult to drive. Especially for ATC SCM11, people advice this speaker will only be good when the pairing Amp. which have at least 100W output, is this correct?[/quote]

They are relatively inefficient so benefit from a little bit of power but even a rega brio was able to make some decently powerful noises with them. Quality as always more important than quantity. Personally though I can't get my head around the shortcomings of this speaker (ATC 11 and its little offspring, which I actually prefer), namely an inability to sound nicely open and punchy at low volumes and their rather 'matter of fact' presentation, a bit soulless I guess. They are also pig ugly. Can't comment on the B&W's.

[quote user="GalaxyB"]For Spendor and Rega is not a very popular in my country (Hong Kong), please also kindly advice those models is easy to drive?[/quote]

Shame, they are both special products in their own right. Broadly speaking, Spendors are not difficult to drive but need amplifiers with good bass control/damping factor because of those (relatively) underdamped plastic cones. Regas are easy to partner.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]They are also pig ugly.[/quote]Can I say these are probably the ugliest bookshelves on the market today. Not the gaudiest, but the outright ugliest, zero creativity, no sense of presentation at all. Speaker appearance is a minimal factor, but come on already. They look like something magaret thatcher might doodle. Just that nasty and dull. ATC should stick to manufacturing drivers and leave it at that.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GalaxyB"]
For Spendor and Rega is not a very popular in my country (Hong Kong), please also kindly advice those models is easy to drive?[/quote]
The Spendor SA1 is not an easy load. Recently a mag tested it to have a lab sensitivity of 82dB @ 1W 1m and some high, nasty impedance behavior. The moral of the story is that you need at least 60W of good power for them and the higher the quality the less likely the odd impedances are likely to cause an issue.

A

Anonymous

How about Spendor S5e? It is a smaller floorstand, will it suitable for my listening area? Will it a better partner with 8vs2?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="GalaxyB"]How about Spendor S5e? It is a smaller floorstand, will it suitable for my listening area? Will it a better partner with 8vs2?[/quote]
I think it would be very nice. Def try those Proacs though - I suspect they're rather tasty...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts